Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: marriage???

1. luvmysailor06

marriage???

Advertisements
    hello, my name is Amanda and my boyfriend is currently attending "A" school in the great lakes. i am about to have a baby and we have been talking about getting married. i really don't know how the whole housing thing works. does he get a certain amount for each dependent or is is just based on his rank. how long do we have to wait before i can move up there and be with him? he said that he wouldn't be able to stay the night which is fine just as long as he gets to see his child. thats what really matters. he is in phase 2 and is a E2 i think. can anyone give me any helpful information??
  2. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    how long is he going to be in a school? because if its only for a couple months, it might not be worth the hassle of moving with a new baby.
  3. Kat
    stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip
    stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip
    Quote Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
    how long is he going to be in a school? because if its only for a couple months, it might not be worth the hassle of moving with a new baby.
    I agree.
    No you dont get money for each dependant. Its either with dependant or without. And yes it is based on rank.
    If he is gonna be there over 6 months I believe, he can get labeled a brown bagger and live with you. But you have to be married.
    Since he is in school you may have to have him get permission to get married.
  4. luvmysailor06
    he is going to be there for at least 6 months if not more.
  5. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    find out exactly how long, and have him talk to his command about the sitaution. like kat said, he may need permission to get married, and you don't want to rush up there to be with him to find out that you can't get housing or anything like that.

good luck!!!
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Kat is right. You may need permission to get married. Ya'll cannot live in housing unless you are married. You get the same dependant BAH if you have 1 or 10 dependants. If you don't get married he can't get dependant BAH until the baby is born (BAH is the only thing you get more of with dependants) and if you don't know BAH is housing money.

ETA: With him only being an E-2 and still in A-school he most likely wont be able to live with you off base at all if ya'll arent married.