Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: State taxes on LES

1. Senior Member

State taxes on LES

Advertisements
    So I know last year we got a state refund. And I know that we have paid taxes to Ca this year but we cannot find anywhere how much. By looking at the LES and the W-2 it looks like we paid nothing but I know that is not the case. Last years looked the same and we got money back. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice?
    blinkies by Britt
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i have no clue. we dont pay state taxes... walter claims south dakota where his parents are as home. look on his LES and see what state is listed for the state taxes...
  3. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    We don;t pay state. So I don't know what to tell ya.
  4. Senior Member
    Ca is listed. I just do not understand why what we have paid is not listed.
    blinkies by Britt
  5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I don't know where you're currently stationed, but here you go:

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/ivr/217.html

If you were a member of the military during the taxable year and your domicile is California, we consider you a resident of California. While stationed in California on permanent military orders, you are subject to tax on all income regardless of its source. While stationed outside of California on Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Orders, you are not subject to tax on your military wages.

If you are or were a member of the military and your domicile is not California, we may require you to file a California return if you have California source income such as:

Wages for services performed in California other than military pay.
    Income received from real or tangible personal or business property located in California.
    Income received by your non-military spouse while your spouse resided in California, or income that your spouse received from California sources.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    yours may be one of the W2's that had errors it should be listed on your W2 what you paid in state taxes. your DH might have to take his W2 into PSD and have it looked at.
  7. Senior Member
    down at the bottom in box 15 should be about state taxes...my dh only paid CA taxes for the first 2 months and then became tax exempt...but it tells us on dec les that he was exempt...so i don't know...
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    yours may be one of the W2's that had errors it should be listed on your W2 what you paid in state taxes. your DH might have to take his W2 into PSD and have it looked at.
    That is what we just decided to do. I filed everything but Ca so I guess we will see what happens sometime this week. :sad Thank you all for your help.
    blinkies by Britt
  9. AFWife05
    When I did our taxes last week, hubbie didn't pay any state taxes and he claims Tenn as his state of residency!
  10. Epic
    Epic

Quote Originally Posted by asvandoren View Post
    By looking at the LES and the W-2 it looks like we paid nothing but I know that is not the case.
    Have you checked all the LES's throughout 2006? If the LES's and the W-2 show that no state taxes were taken out then the military member didn't pay state taxes.