Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: navy pay question....

1. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries

navy pay question....

Advertisements
    ok so I'm looking at DH's new LES for this month. There is 250 taken out a month for meals. He's not eating on the ship. The ship is drydocked... should this be something he needs to talk to someone about. We weren't paying that much when they were deployed????

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Is the Galley still running on the ship? Or do they have any other galley up running for the sailors..if there is a galley you won't see the money at all because he can still eat there
  3. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by **Prairie Dawn** View Post
    Is the Galley still running on the ship? Or do they have any other galley up running for the sailors..if there is a galley you won't see the money at all because he can still eat there
    GRRR! Yeah they have a barge there for them. That is sooo rediculous... 250 a month and he doesn't eat there. The food is shitty and WE don't even eat 250 worth of food a month at home. That is SOO not even right...

Oh well... nothing makes sense in the military...

stupid... stupid stupid

so much for getting the base pay each month

4. Senior Member
    can't you get that given to you? JOhn was able to do that in GL. it could have been he was a live a shore student though. Seems crazy if hes not eating there. But its not the military if its not crazy
  5. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    I thought that if they arent deployed and actually go home at night that they are able to keep that money. I know my DH did it before till he got deployed and they started taking it out again and still havent stopped. But I'm sure there is a way for him to keep it.
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    He may be able to eat at the base galley. Bryan's not sure though...LOL!
    Yeah...we pay for it too and it sucks.
  7. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey67 View Post
    I thought that if they arent deployed and actually go home at night that they are able to keep that money. I know my DH did it before till he got deployed and they started taking it out again and still havent stopped. But I'm sure there is a way for him to keep it.
    I'm going to have him check with someone about it. I think it's insane for them to be taking that money when he isn't even eating on the ship. I can understand 50 a month right now, but not 250... sheesh! It was 140 when he was on deployment... either someone made a big mistake (likely) or someone is being a douche (also likely) or it's just a rip off (also likely)

HAHA!!! I'll have him find out for us!

8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnysGirl View Post
    I'm going to have him check with someone about it. I think it's insane for them to be taking that money when he isn't even eating on the ship. I can understand 50 a month right now, but not 250... sheesh! It was 140 when he was on deployment... either someone made a big mistake (likely) or someone is being a douche (also likely) or it's just a rip off (also likely)

HAHA!!! I'll have him find out for us!
    If you're at a boat/ship that has mess services the money automatically goes to the command unless those services have become unavailable....this is all per my husband....hehe!
  9. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    If you're at a boat/ship that has mess services the money automatically goes to the command unless those services have become unavailable....this is all per my husband....hehe!
    Well poo on them that sucks! I'm still curious why it went up though so I'll probably have him ask anyway! Thanks for the info!!!

10. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    You do realize that money is not part of base pay and is only supposed to be for food. That's what basic allowance for subsistinence (BAS on the LES) means-it's to feed him. ALL of that money is supposed to go for food to feed HIM (it's not supposed to feed the family, just him. If it does feed everyone, then great, but that's not the intention of it). When he's not at home and is supposed to use the galley, they're not really taking that money from you. They're just not giving you a food allowance since THEY are feeding him (by "taking" it back from you, you're not paying them to feed him, they're just balancing out the BAS they pay to 0 so you don't see any BAS deposited in ur account at payday). It's his fault if he's not eating there, but they're providing him food so he doesn't get food pay on top of what he's supposed to eat at the galley.

Just like when you live in base housing. You give up your BAH because they're providing you a place to live. They're not taking it away, it's being substituted with a house. When u live in PPV housing, it works the same way-BAH shows up on the LES but then you have an allotment giving all the BAH back to PPV balancing the amount to 0 so you don't see any BAH in ur bank account.

If u don't use the full BAS while he's home, great-you make some extra money. Just like if ur rent/utilities out in town don't add up to ur BAH-you get to pocket the extra money. Say you don't think ur base housing is worth all the BAH you don't get so you decide to stay at a hotel some nights. They're not going to give you some BAH to compensate for the crappy housing. It's the same with BAS and him not eating at the galley.

I just wanted to mention it because some people think this is part of base pay they should always get, and it's not, it's an extra pay for something specific. And if they provide that specific, you're not entitled to that extra pay.
    Last edited by BlueButterfly505; 01-25-2007 at 03:08 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast