Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about military loan repayment

1. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree

Question about military loan repayment

Advertisements
    DH has some school loans to pay off, and since he's not currently enrolled (since he's deployed), he has been getting bills from the loan agencies. I told DH to contact them and tell them that the military is taking care of it (yes, he has the loan repayment option taken out of his paycheck each month), and will do so after graduation, but I'm not sure what he said - or what they said back, he told me he "took care of it."

However, today I got another Loan bill with late fees from the last 2 months. I'm going to call them tomorrow, but what needs to be done in order for them to put our payments on hold? Do we need military paperwork? How do I get this paperwork? Will they even put it on hold since he's not in school? He WILL be in school the semester after he returns....Any help or knowledge is appreciated.

TIA!

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

2. Senior Member
    umm..I have absolutely no idea. Good luck tho!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i just asked for an extension due to finiacial hardship. i just had to fill in numbers, i dont think i had to show proof.
  4. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    i just asked for an extension due to finiacial hardship. i just had to fill in numbers, i dont think i had to show proof.
    Thanks

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

5. I wanna lick the wrapper........
    I wanna lick the wrapper........
    Military members can get a forbearance. Unless you have a general power of attorney he will have to be the one to call and request the paperwork to fill it out.

6. armychica06
    Make sure they are more than 1 year old after the date he graduated from his job school- or the military won't pay for them. I just found that out myself.
  7. Howdy!!!
    Howdy!!!
    my hubby is doing the lrp too... all we have to do while that paper work gets filled out (he had to wait till a year after the enlisted) is send the loan holders a copy of his orders stating that he's enlisted and ask for a forbearance.. and u have to renew it every so often depending on the lender (every 6-12 months)
  8. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    Quote Originally Posted by armychica06 View Post
    Make sure they are more than 1 year old after the date he graduated from his job school- or the military won't pay for them. I just found that out myself.
    Wait...does that mean that they won't pay for loans that were taken out BEFORE he enlisted? I'm kind of confused...ugh.

9. Howdy!!!
    Howdy!!!
    from what i've heard from my hubby they only pay for federal loans.. he had some private loans so they wont cover those. as far as time goes.. it should state in some of his paperwork from when he first joined.. he should have some kinda contract that states that he's signing up, he's getting so much money (cause he was in school), and he's gonna do the LRP...

oh.. on those private loans...we have them on deferment.
  10. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
    Wait...does that mean that they won't pay for loans that were taken out BEFORE he enlisted? I'm kind of confused...ugh.

They wont pay for loans from BEFORE he was in the military. They have to be federal loans from since he joined.