Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: NEW TO THIS SO i HAVE A STUPID QUESTION

1. Senior Member

NEW TO THIS SO i HAVE A STUPID QUESTION

Advertisements
    Ok so my hubby is leaving for bootcamp with in the next few weeks so I have been trying to find out as much as possible. I spoke to the recruiter yesterday and learned when our family would start getting benefits and all that stuff. Now after looking at the military site I have more questions.
    So I know BAH is like you can either live on base or they give you a certain amount of money to find a place to live off base. But what is the COLA? Who gets it? How much is it for? I know nothing about this kinda stuff since I am very new to this. Thanks you guys for all your help. I'm so looking forward to the bootcamp part being over and heading to san diego (as of now) for the BUDS training. Thats only a few months away and I am a complete idiot when it comes to all things military.Its driving me crazy since I am a planner and I can't plan for anything right now
    Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I so appreciate it. The recruiter my husband has is so sweet but I dont want to keep bothering him with the questions I think up by the hour.
  2. Senior Member
    what division did he go into ?

AMERICA RULES !!!
  3. Senior Member
    hes in the navy.
  4. Senior Member
    if thats even what you mean LOL told you complete moron to anything military right now
  5. Senior Member
    If you are coming to SD for BUD/s, then no, you don't get COLA. What you get at first is just Base Pay and BAH... which is for housing. As your hubby will be fresh out of Boot Camp before BUD/s I would sugget living in housing as he won't get very much.
    After he completes Hellweek and progresses there is more pay. There is talk of bonuses for finishing Hellweek (about 5 grand) and a bonus for completing BUD/s. But again, I have yet to see it as hubby is doing Hellweek next week.
    Anyhoo, aside from that your hubby can also expect extra pay like dive pay, jump pay (for jumping out of airplanes), ect... but this is all after he is well into BUD/s. We get none of this right now. Just BAH and Base pay.
    Don't worry about asking questions... my hubby has 11 years and I still know just a fraction of what I want to.
    Good Luck to you!
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde
  6. Single and Lovin' it!
    Single and Lovin' it!
    I believe you only get COLA outside the CONUS Or Continental United States...Hosing might be the better choice at first, that way you can familiarize yourself with the area and then find a house or apartment.
    We wont buy, while cats and dogs die.
    Save a life...get a shelter animal.

YUM...
  7. seanswife32
    My hubby just graduated bootcamp Dec. 1st and we were surprised that he got separation pay ($250/month) while he was gone too!!