Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: TDY en route..where does our stuff go?

  1. Regular Member
    kori_ann89's Avatar
    kori_ann89 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    58
    Lv. Percent
    27.56%
    #1

    Confused TDY en route..where does our stuff go?

    Advertisements
    DH and I are preparing for our next move...a TDY en route to Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, NM and four months later a PCS to Moody AFB in Valdosta,GA. *Obviously, all of our stuff will be going to GA for those 4 months...but where does it go? Do they put it in some type of storage? And how do we get it when we finally get there? Will they move it to our new house? *Any help or tips with this type of move would be appreciated!*

    Also, if anyone would happen to know anything about this. *We have a dog and when we contacted the lodging at Kirtland they said they don't take pets and they will not give out non availability slips. *Then I heard from a friend that if they won't let you stay because of a dog they have to give you a non a slip. *Any idea?

    One more thing..we also heard that since DH and I just got married and I am new on his orders I get a move from wherever, like my parents house. *I do live with DH now but will they still move a load of my stuff from somewhere else to GA?

    Thank you!
  2. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    Lv. Percent
    5.71%
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by kori_ann89 View Post
    DH and I are preparing for our next move...a TDY en route to Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, NM and four months later a PCS to Moody AFB in Valdosta,GA. *Obviously, all of our stuff will be going to GA for those 4 months...but where does it go? Do they put it in some type of storage? And how do we get it when we finally get there? Will they move it to our new house? *Any help or tips with this type of move would be appreciated!*

    Also, if anyone would happen to know anything about this. *We have a dog and when we contacted the lodging at Kirtland they said they don't take pets and they will not give out non availability slips. *Then I heard from a friend that if they won't let you stay because of a dog they have to give you a non a slip. *Any idea?

    One more thing..we also heard that since DH and I just got married and I am new on his orders I get a move from wherever, like my parents house. *I do live with DH now but will they still move a load of my stuff from somewhere else to GA?

    Thank you!
    TDY enroutes are tricky- and some stuff is branch specific so I cannot give alot of info for that.

    for storage tho they will store it for 90 days for free- because you will need it for 120 days or longer your DH is going to have to ask for an extension. they will move it for you when you arrive and have a place set up.

    for temp lodging- they do not HAVE to give you non-availability for pets- but you can board them for a few days until you get into your permenant housing ( well perm for 4 months). Most temp lodging is hotel style and not designed for long term stays. Many either rent or stay at civilian extended stay hotels.

    YOU do not get a move from where ever- however your DH could be elegible for a HOR move- however ALL these have to apply:
    1) the HHG's are located in the location he signed up from ( his HOR)
    2) he did not move his entire weight allowance when he first PCSed to his first unit
    3) the HHG's do not exceed his single weight allowance of 5,000 lbs.
    4) and the HHG's were in the members possession at the time of initial PCS.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,295
    Lv. Percent
    20.69%
    #3
    are you on his en route TDY orders? If you are not then he most likely won't be authorized to live off base. This is very important. It must be stated on his orders that you are allowed to be with him while @ Kirtland. If you are not authorized you have to foot the bill for you yourself and he won't be allowed to live off base with you.

    I agree with gunsgirl on everything else...

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Senior Member
    Firefly519's Avatar
    Firefly519 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Snowmaggedon
    Posts
    1,166
    Blog Entries
    1
    Lv. Percent
    10.49%
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    are you on his en route TDY orders? If you are not then he most likely won't be authorized to live off base. This is very important. It must be stated on his orders that you are allowed to be with him while @ Kirtland. If you are not authorized you have to foot the bill for you yourself and he won't be allowed to live off base with you.

    I agree with gunsgirl on everything else...
    I was on this train of thought. TDY means they ship the military member and something like 600 pounds of personal stuff. Family and HHGs stay put and are moved directly to the receiving permanent duty station in coordination with the PCS. I don't believe you and the dog are going anywhere, even if you are married. He may be able to have his orders change to a PCS, but I can't predict how likely that will be.
  5. Senior Member
    Beach's Avatar
    Beach is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,934
    Lv. Percent
    42.93%
    #5
    I've never went with dh any of the times he's had TAD/TDY en route. We either waited to move until he finished the schools or else moved ahead to the perm. duty station.
    Last edited by Beach; 02-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.
  6. Senior Member
    MS234755's Avatar
    MS234755 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,493
    Lv. Percent
    13.59%
    #6
    I didn't think spouses were usually authorized to go to TDY's? Like when DH goes to Captain's Career Course, I will have to stay behind at our permanent duty station, and he will return when he is finished, I'm not going with him.

    I think unless his orders specify otherwise, you are only authorized to move for the actual PCS.
  7. Senior Member
    *Stephanie*'s Avatar
    *Stephanie* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    JBER; Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    16,310
    Lv. Percent
    88.42%
    #7
    I doubt you'll be on his orders for a 4 month TDY/school. You'll probably be expected to stay put where you are now or go to Moody.

    They don't have to give you a non-availability. Some bases will and others won't. I know Alaska won't and will make people board their dogs for up to a month while they find somewhere to live.
  8. Senior Member
    dekeoboe's Avatar
    dekeoboe is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,800
    Lv. Percent
    15.27%
    #8
    I have done an AF TDY enroute. It was a long time ago though and our PCS was OCONUS. The orders will say whether it is an accompanied TDY or not. For a longer TDY enroute, you will probably be authorized to ship some HHG to the TDY location. Again, this will be listed on the orders. If it is an accompanied TDY, then the rest of your HHG will go into storage for the length of the TDY. You will have to ask TMO whether they will be stored at your current location or at your PCS location. Once you get to your PCS location, you contact TMO there and they will arrange to deliver them to your home. If you don't have a house right away, you are still authorized 90 days of storage.

    Unfortunately, I think you are going to be out of luck with regard to getting a non-availability slip if they don't have any pet friendly units available. It sounds like he is going to school at Kirtland. He could try checking with the school to see what they usually do for student housing. Accompanied students may be handled differently from unaccompanied ones.
  9. Regular Member
    kori_ann89's Avatar
    kori_ann89 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    58
    Lv. Percent
    27.56%
    #9
    Thanks everybody for your help! Yes he is going to school out there...CSAR training. I'm not sure what his orders say about me accompaning him but when I spoke to housing they said he was allowed to live off base and did not need permission, he just had to let finance know. At least I hope this is how it works out when we get there cause we already put a deposit down on a furnished duplex!! We had planned that the movers would take just about everything to GA since the duplex is furnished, and all we will bring to ABQ is our clothes and things, and yes I will be going with....whether they like it or not! hahaha
  10. Senior Member
    *Stephanie*'s Avatar
    *Stephanie* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    JBER; Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    16,310
    Lv. Percent
    88.42%
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kori_ann89 View Post
    Thanks everybody for your help! Yes he is going to school out there...CSAR training. I'm not sure what his orders say about me accompaning him but when I spoke to housing they said he was allowed to live off base and did not need permission, he just had to let finance know. At least I hope this is how it works out when we get there cause we already put a deposit down on a furnished duplex!! We had planned that the movers would take just about everything to GA since the duplex is furnished, and all we will bring to ABQ is our clothes and things, and yes I will be going with....whether they like it or not! hahaha
    For a lot of people it comes down to what finance will pay for. Good luck with everything.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •