Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iwakuni Japan???

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Technically NASJRB Texas, but my husband is in iraq so i moved back home for the year

Iwakuni Japan???

Advertisements
    My husband got to pick his orders in march and he got orders for Iwakuni Japan. Thus far, I have gotten my two cats all the blood work done in order to avoid that nasty 180 day quarantine. My husband has been adamant that the two cats' are goingt o be paid for to be shipped to japan, but i am unsure of this. the vet was unsure as well but they said as long as he gets that in writing on his orders they are paid for. I find it hard to believe b/c they are animals and not children Does anyone have any information on shipping pets to japan? I dont need paperwork information b/c the vet has all that and went over paperwork i printed off.

I still have to enroll in tricare dental and get my teeth fixed up b/c i hurd dental is limited out there and i am not sure if that is true. Also, as soon as my husband gets the written orders, i was told there are some health screenings i need to go to the clinic for. AND i dont know how to do this but i am suppose to get ahold of the clinic out in iwakuni and tell them the prescriptions i will be needing for the three years we are there b/c there are several antibiotics i need to be on for, well, the rest of my life and the clinic on base doesnt have them and the pharmacy on base said that I will need to get advance notice on this so the pharmacy will have the drugs for the three years we will be there. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Also, I am growing nervous on the housing b/c we can not get on the waiting list for the housing until my husband gets his written orders, by chance if we dont get written orders in time where are we suppose to go live? anything off base is not american right? i hurd even the electrical outlets are different. I guess i just really need some general information about moving out to iwakuni
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    wow those are great questions..... I am also moving to Iwakuni... so now you have me wondering the same thing....
  3. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    I paid for my cats to come from Iwakuni (we got them from Japan). It cost about $330 to fly them from Hiroshima to Tokyo, Tokyo to Seattle.

Dental is provided there, but it's on a slightly limited basis. Their first priority is the active duty Marines and Sailors, so they squeeze civilians and dependants in whereever they can.

If they don't have your medication available at the base, you can order them through the mail. They have a prescription program already set in place, so it's not something that'll be a surprise. They have pamphlets of information on it. You just get your prescriptions in 90 day supply formats - I believe it cost me about $10/90 day supply.

Japan's plugs are the same if they are two-pronged appliances. They do not have the three (little grounding slot that likes like a hole in our outlets) plug option. If you live on base, it's not a problem, but off base could be. Off base housing is tiny, but in some instances better. When we lived there (2005-2008) things were really bad on base and I know that if we were to ever be in that situation again, we would've chosen off base housing in an heartbeat.

(ETA: If you live on base, there won't be an quarantine for your pets. If you live off base, you may still have to quarantine them because Japan is an ABSOLUTELY NO RABIES zone. That is why they enforce it strictly. If they're in quarantine, expect to pay about $10/day/pet for their board on base.)
  4. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.
    You have to pay for your pets to travel. Depending on whether you are traveling MAC or Commercial. If you travel MAC you may be able to travel with your cats as carry-on. The quarantine is the least of your worries for pets since pets of service members are allowed to do in-house quaranteen if you live onbase. Be aware that you need to get your cats microchipped and have up to date rabies vaccs.

There is a dental clinic there, there is not a othrodontist. The orthonotist vists the base every 1-2 months to take care of ortho work. bi-annual cleanings, etc are handled by dental there.

your overseas screen paperwork includes your medical screening. You can get this paperwork at IPAC. The paperwork also includes dental screening.

Usually if housing isn't available you will remain in the TLF or they will give you the option to live off base.
    boop boop boop boopy boop.
  5. Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about Iwakuni, we were there for 3 years and loved and hated it. We lived in a midrise at first then decided to move to a house out in town. The midrise was okay but once you are on base seeing the same people everyday, you just need to get away. Our off base house was AMAZING but we were lucky to find it. We lived about 5 mins from the Monzen gate and had a great 2 story home with 3 large bedrooms, yard and a drive way that could park 5 cars! As far as the outlets go, they give you transformers as base housing to use out in town, and most little appliances work without a transformer. They will also provide a fridge if you live out in town as well, and you can also check out mowing supplies etc. The one great thing about Iwakuni was the self check out at family housing. All of the items, tools, paint brushes, free to use. Most items are brand new too. I believe they even have steam cleaners. BTW don't let housing scare you about a wait on a place, they told us 9 months and we got our midrise within 6 weeks. Then we got smart and got a place off base, make sure to check out the available homes out in town, it might be intimidating at first but well worth it. They have 2 great Japanese workers that arrange all off base rental and will even setup your utilities and back account out in town. Oh and you also get a set amount for utilities in Japan, I believe it was $550. So whatever we didn't use, we got to keep. As far as BAH goes it is OHA there, overseas housing allowance, is the exact amount of rent signed in your lease
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt View Post
    I paid for my cats to come from Iwakuni (we got them from Japan). It cost about $330 to fly them from Hiroshima to Tokyo, Tokyo to Seattle.

Dental is provided there, but it's on a slightly limited basis. Their first priority is the active duty Marines and Sailors, so they squeeze civilians and dependants in whereever they can.

If they don't have your medication available at the base, you can order them through the mail. They have a prescription program already set in place, so it's not something that'll be a surprise. They have pamphlets of information on it. You just get your prescriptions in 90 day supply formats - I believe it cost me about $10/90 day supply.

Japan's plugs are the same if they are two-pronged appliances. They do not have the three (little grounding slot that likes like a hole in our outlets) plug option. If you live on base, it's not a problem, but off base could be. Off base housing is tiny, but in some instances better. When we lived there (2005-2008) things were really bad on base and I know that if we were to ever be in that situation again, we would've chosen off base housing in an heartbeat.

(ETA: If you live on base, there won't be an quarantine for your pets. If you live off base, you may still have to quarantine them because Japan is an ABSOLUTELY NO RABIES zone. That is why they enforce it strictly. If they're in quarantine, expect to pay about $10/day/pet for their board on base.)
    FYI not all off base housing is tiny. Our house was HUGE.
  7. Senior Member
    The electrical outlets are the same, no worries there. And living off base is no big deal, I did it for four years. I actually felt sorry for some of the folks living on base, some of them never left, how can you be living in another country and never go see it? I never understood that. Enjoy the culture, you are not going to a third world country. I lived in a fabulous two story 2000 sq ft house, even had two bathrooms (oh how I miss that). Quarantine gets iffy, they were going to quarantine the dogs until the little Japanese kennel guy looked into one of the crates and saw the 110 lb rottweiler with a black fuzzy thing sticking out of her mouth (thanks gramma for giving her a giant stuffed spider toy).
    No more damn ticker, he's home!
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hello, I'm new to this sight and to the whole moving over seas thing. My husband is so far set for orders in Iwakuni, Japan and we are both uneasy. He just told me he got picked for them and he just left three weeks ago for a 6 to 7 month cruise. Once he gets back from that he leaves to go to Japan. This will be our first time over seas. I've tried to read everything I can about the base and how things are over there. Do you know if we can take our american car or if you have to get a car over there? Also, we will need to get some furniture, does anyone know about the furniture at the nex? Do they have a large selection? Do you have to order it through them and wait for it? I have a lot more questions just not popping in my head right now. If anyone can help or has the time to listen to a million and one questions that would be great. Thanks.
  9. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    No, it isn't really feasible to take your car to Japan. You'll most likely need to find a place to store it, or sell it before you leave.

Once you get there, you'll buy a cheap beater car for $500-$2,000.

The furniture selection wasn't that great when we left, but you can order stuff specially from big books they have in the PX. You are given cheapo temp furniture when you get housing. It's not great, but it works until your household goods arrive, or your new furniture is delivered.
  10. Senior Member
    And anything you don't have, check the garage sales on base cause people sell everything when they're leaving. That's where we got all of our furniture there. When my family moved over there it was when my dad was a civilian contractor, we didn't get household goods sent, we got what we could take on the plane, three military duffels, carry ons and three dogs. At least they'll send your stuff with you. You'll be fine.
    No more damn ticker, he's home!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast