Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did the movers unpack your stuff?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Did the movers unpack your stuff?

Advertisements
    When my husband went for the appt to get all the info on our pack out dates and such the lady told him to make sure that the movers when we get our stuff in Italy unpack all our boxes and put our stuff away. I guess the Navy actually pays them enough money to do that...Has anyone else ever done that? I never heard them of them doing that but i guess thats what they are paid to do not only pack but to unpack.
  2. Senior Member

Yes...they will unpack but we never did it. By the end of the day we just wanted them out of there.

We just had them put all the beds and other furniture together.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by decks89 View Post
    Yes...they will unpack but we never did it. By the end of the day we just wanted them out of there.

We just had them put all the beds and other furniture together.
    Same here. I usually didnt want them there any longer then they had to be, lol, I just wanted my stuff and them gone

My friend always has them unpack and she loves it Whatever your comfortable with
  4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I don't mind people packing.. I mean everything goes in boxes, that's not hard to figure out. However UNpacking... I can't imagine they'd know where to put everything so I'm sure I'd move everything around later. I probably wouldn't have them do that--just have them do the furniture and anything that needs to be reassembled.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I usually just have them help me unpack the kitchen because that's the only place I have breakables
  6. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I always have them unpack....no matter how much they complain and tell me how horrible it's going to be to have piles of my stuff everywhere and try to talk me out of it. No matter how many times they ask me if I'm sure I want them to, even while they're doing it.

Unpacking doesn't mean they put everything in its place in the room after taking it out of the box. It means they pull everything out of the boxes, take off the packing material and leave your stuff in piles in the room the box was in. They usually don't put stuff away but a few times they've hung my clothes from the box into the closet because that's what was easier for them room wise. I've heard they're supposed to put dishes in cabinets if you have the cabinets open, but they've never done that for me. Next time I'm going to try, though.

I prefer piles of my stuff all over the place. For me, it's easier to find things I'm looking for and want to use right away, and get a good look at everything I have for that room that needs a place to be put. It actually stresses me out more to see boxes of stuff and having no idea what's in the box. It's labeled generally, so for all you know, that box marked "table linens" is the one that has your can opener in it that you need/have been looking for. You can take a marker during the packing and add more details to the box, but it's hard to put details of every little thing in each box, especially while trying to keep an eye on movers in 3 different rooms packing.

Also, I hate dealing with the boxes and packing material, so I make them take it all with them after they unpack me. Some will try to tell you that you can unpack yourself and they'll come back for the boxes and packing material, but don't count on it. They're not contractually obligated to come back for that stuff, so if they decide not to, there's nothing you can do about it. Once they leave, it's technically yours to deal with/get rid of.
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Yes, but I prefer to unpack our own stuff, as the movers don't have an idea where my things belong. I'd hate to be asked every 20 seconds where x item needs to be placed.

I will, however, have them assemble beds and the crib.

I just direct them which rooms to place the boxes/furniture in.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

NEVER NEVER will I let movers unpack for me again. When we moved into housing in San Diego they were supposed to unpack and never did.. so I called them to come back out and unpack. They did NOT put stuff away. They just took everything out of the boxes and set it on the floor or counters.

They busted a bag of rice everywhere... and made huge messes.
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    PrincessBlue...I've never looked at it that way. I think doing it that way would actually motivate us to put away out things. I think we might just try it that way when our HHGs get delivered in August to the new house.

Thanks for posting that!
  10. Senior Member
    I dont like people touching my stuff.... Whenever I have movers I just have them put the box in its room.... Its kinda fun for me to unpack and find it, its new home =)
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast