Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humanitarian move?

1. Regular Member

Humanitarian move?

Advertisements
    Has anyone done this before? I know how it goes, but not the itty bitty details. I was told it was done in the case of a relative being terminally ill. Are there any other cases? If so, what was your case and how did you go about getting approval? My DH's aunt is very ill. We still have not gotten word how severe it is. She will be flying to Hawaii for a second opinion. Just wanted to see what options we have. Thanks for all you help. Prayers welcomed.
  2. You are here.
    You are here.
    Humanitarian orders? I have heard that they are hard to get, and I think it has to be like a parent or a spouse or a child, not extended family. IDK, has he broached it with his COC?
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Unfortunatly, an aunt will not qualify him. This site will have more info for you

Humanitarian Assignments

For the purposes of this program, the term "family member" is limited to spouse, child, father, mother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, person in loco parentis, or other persons actually residing in the household who are dependent for over half of their financial support. Stepparents can qualify as a family member if they meet the basic criteria for in loco parentis.

He could try and get emergency medical leave, but even then because she is his aunt, unless she raised him, chances are pretty slim. Sorry

4. Regular Member
    Sorry DH's aunt was the one that raised him. Sorry didn't fully explain. Its all in the beginning stages and DH is in Korea so I'm trying to see if anyone knows anything.
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Pegs View Post
    Sorry DH's aunt was the one that raised him. Sorry didn't fully explain.
    Then she could be concidered under loco parentis. You will have to get affidavits from family and friends that she raised him. Also Humanitarian is usually for short term situations so depending on the diagnosis it could have effect on the application. If it were me, I would be putting it in, the worst they could say is no.

6. Senior Member
    My dad was able to get it for a parent and the diagnoses was not short term but the end result would be death with no other ending of said disease. They did quite a lot for him, so I just suggest your DH put in for it and see what happens.
  7. Regular Member
    Thanks Ladies! Its all in the early stages of the diagnosis. She will be receiving a second opinion when she flies to Hawaii. We're from Guam so medical there is very limited and not so good. She help raised DH since she was widowed without kids and he kept her company since they were next door. He considers her his second mom and is in his list of beneficiaries. Another question is if we claim in "loco parentis" are we still able to do something similar if something happened to his parents? Just a thought. I know a couple of people who have done it, but the end result were all death except for one. i know its a short term thing. Thanks again. I really do appreciate all your inputs.
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Thanks Ladies! Its all in the early stages of the diagnosis. She will be receiving a second opinion when she flies to Hawaii. We're from Guam so medical there is very limited and not so good. She help raised DH since she was widowed without kids and he kept her company since they were next door. He considers her his second mom and is in his list of beneficiaries. Another question is if we claim in "loco parentis" are we still able to do something similar if something happened to his parents? Just a thought. I know a couple of people who have done it, but the end result were all death except for one. i know its a short term thing. Thanks again. I really do appreciate all your inputs.
    The loco Parentis is where they litterally raised him, meaning he lived with her and everything, not just lived next door and she helped his mom, she would have actually have been a mom to him.

9. Regular Member
    He did stay with her, but still had his mom next door. She did raise him, but mom was still very much visible. Its a confusing story. Sorry!
  10. Senior Member
    He did stay with her, but still had his mom next door. She did raise him, but mom was still very much visible. Its a confusing story. Sorry!
    I don't think that will work, sorry. She has to have literally been his parent. Not just a family member who was around a lot.

But again, put in the request and see. Be prepared for the answer of no but happily surprised if they say yes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast