Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite/Least Favorite Base(s)

1. Senior Member

Your Favorite/Least Favorite Base(s)

Advertisements
    What is your favorite base you have been to, and why? What's your least favorite?
  2. Senior Member
    Least Favorite: Ellsworth AFB: Its Cold. Leadership Is a bit questionable as of late. There's been a HUGE DUI issue here. We average about 10-12 days DUI free. Its cold. Its windy. During the winter the town shuts down practically. The cost of living is rather high as compared to the BAH (the BAH is for the town of Box Elder, which is smaller and relatively inexpensive for now, the area most of people live in is actually Rapid City/Black Hawk, which is about 15 minutes away but a bit more expensive. They are annexing a majority of Base Housing to the city of Box Elder (Not privatizing but just annexing it)

Did I mention its cold?

and windy?

3. Moderator

Least fave: Goodfellow AFB. Mostly because I hated San Angelo, not really for any particular failing of the base itself.

Favorite that we've been stationed at: Either DLI (Defense Language Institute) or Ft Gordon, where we are now. I loved Monterey, CA so much. It was beautiful, the weather was perfect, I loved living on the coast, it was amazing! But I absolutely adore Augusta as well. It's just gorgeous here- the only thing I complain about is the heat, which is fine because I stay inside with the a/c on all the time. I think my favorite places correspond with the best time in my life though because I just don't really care where I am. I've been very happy at DLI and here, so I love my surroundings because life is just generally good.

Favorite base I've lived by (but that wasn't a station): Anything in Colorado Springs. USAFA, Peterson AFB, Schriever AFB, NORAD, Ft. Carson- pick any of those and you'll be in the best location in the world. Colorado Springs is heavenly and perfect and I love it and want to move back someday.
  4. Senior Member
    Least favorite....so far all bases I have been with with DH with the exception of Alaska. Bad leadership, uncaring families (ie snooty and standoffish), crappy housing, and the lists could go on and on and on.

Favorite bases based on MY experiences were Alaska, Japan and SoDak. Only downside was the cold.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    Least Favorite: Ellsworth AFB: Its Cold. Leadership Is a bit questionable as of late. There's been a HUGE DUI issue here. We average about 10-12 days DUI free. Its cold. Its windy. During the winter the town shuts down practically. The cost of living is rather high as compared to the BAH (the BAH is for the town of Box Elder, which is smaller and relatively inexpensive for now, the area most of people live in is actually Rapid City/Black Hawk, which is about 15 minutes away but a bit more expensive. They are annexing a majority of Base Housing to the city of Box Elder (Not privatizing but just annexing it)

Did I mention its cold?

and windy?
    To the purple, it was the same when I was there.

To the red, that is new because when I was there winter was no big deal unless it was major blizzards.
  6. Senior Member

Least: Little Rock AFB

Best: Japan and England
  7. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Favorite: NAS Pensacola

Because it's the only one I've ever been too
  8. Senior Member
    Least: Fort Jackson...all my care was there when DH was in TBS.

Favorite: Quantico when DH was there.

Current: Camp Lejeune...it's pretty middle of the line.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Least fave: Goodfellow AFB. Mostly because I hated San Angelo, not really for any particular failing of the base itself.

Favorite that we've been stationed at: Either DLI (Defense Language Institute) or Ft Gordon, where we are now. I loved Monterey, CA so much. It was beautiful, the weather was perfect, I loved living on the coast, it was amazing! But I absolutely adore Augusta as well. It's just gorgeous here- the only thing I complain about is the heat, which is fine because I stay inside with the a/c on all the time. I think my favorite places correspond with the best time in my life though because I just don't really care where I am. I've been very happy at DLI and here, so I love my surroundings because life is just generally good.

Favorite base I've lived by (but that wasn't a station): Anything in Colorado Springs. USAFA, Peterson AFB, Schriever AFB, NORAD, Ft. Carson- pick any of those and you'll be in the best location in the world. Colorado Springs is heavenly and perfect and I love it and want to move back someday.
    Augusta, Georgia? If so, you're right - it is gorgeous! I live near Savannah, so I've been up to Augusta a few times.
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Meghann0109 View Post
    Augusta, Georgia? If so, you're right - it is gorgeous! I live near Savannah, so I've been up to Augusta a few times.
    Yes. I it. Everyone told me Ft. Gordon was horrible before we came here, and I honestly have no idea what they were talking about!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast