Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Another looking for San Diego info!!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Hello Another looking for San Diego info!!!

Advertisements
    So, I've seen a few others asking about San Diego so I figured I would chime in also. We have lived on the East Coast, in Virginia, for almost all of my husbands' career. We are originally from Boston, so it worked out well. Our plan was to never settle down, that was what drew us to the military in the first place. Anyway...kids got settled, friends got made, schools are excellent....so time has passed and we have been here for 12 years!!! Oh! How that was NOT the plan. So, we did something crazy and requested orders for San Diego. Now, CA is someplace that I said I would never live! But, career wise it was a good move, and it sure does "rock the boat" a little, right? Well, now I'm freaking! I'm convinced that my 13 yr. old son is going to become a drug addicted gang member and my 17 yr. old daughter will be abducted and sold into sex slavery in CA!! But, what I really would like to start out knowing is about the housing area. I've resigned myself to admitting that we will probably have to at least start out in housing. Orders are for Miramar. It's so hard to tell which areas are good. I'm not a very good "military" wife...hate drama, and hate the whole "housing, sit around gossiping"thing. No, I know that not all military wives are like that, but come on! we all know they're out there!! I seem to like the sounds of the Chollas Historical houses...only 7 of them- my kind of housing!! Wait list is long but we won't be going until daughter graduates next June. I like Silver Strand, Chesterton,and Ad.Hartman. But, again, so hard to tell from looking online. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    ~Di~
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoolkdizrmine View Post
    So, I've seen a few others asking about San Diego so I figured I would chime in also. We have lived on the East Coast, in Virginia, for almost all of my husbands' career. We are originally from Boston, so it worked out well. Our plan was to never settle down, that was what drew us to the military in the first place. Anyway...kids got settled, friends got made, schools are excellent....so time has passed and we have been here for 12 years!!! Oh! How that was NOT the plan. So, we did something crazy and requested orders for San Diego. Now, CA is someplace that I said I would never live! But, career wise it was a good move, and it sure does "rock the boat" a little, right? Well, now I'm freaking! I'm convinced that my 13 yr. old son is going to become a drug addicted gang member and my 17 yr. old daughter will be abducted and sold into sex slavery in CA!! But, what I really would like to start out knowing is about the housing area. I've resigned myself to admitting that we will probably have to at least start out in housing. Orders are for Miramar. It's so hard to tell which areas are good. I'm not a very good "military" wife...hate drama, and hate the whole "housing, sit around gossiping"thing. No, I know that not all military wives are like that, but come on! we all know they're out there!! I seem to like the sounds of the Chollas Historical houses...only 7 of them- my kind of housing!! Wait list is long but we won't be going until daughter graduates next June. I like Silver Strand, Chesterton,and Ad.Hartman. But, again, so hard to tell from looking online. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

wow..well lol i guess change can be good right? we are going to miramar in 10 days and i never been anywhere so its gonna be a change...i hate the drama in the housing stuff to but it happens i guess!! ummm i have 3 boys but they are good with change and are not "settled" anywhere so i think they will be fine... we got our house there which is in santo terrace murphys canyon a ton of kids kinda community... i know the waiting list for others were crazy! well best of luck

3. Regular Member
    Having lived in San Diego for going on 3 years now, I can chime in a bit.
    Don't worry your daughter will not get abducted and sold into sex slavery and your boy well, I'm going to say you've raised him well enough to know that drugs aren't good. Keep him busy with after school stuff and keep an eye on who his friends are and you should have no problem. Drugs in California are a problem only if you go looking for them.

As for housing, Miramar is kinda in the middle of nowhere and a little more deserty than San Diego proper. I personally am not a fan of the area in general, so go closer to the shore line. Is it a safe bet to assume you are going to the Marine Corp Air Station in Miramar? If so the base is between the 805 and the 15, which means a 20 minutes drive wouldn't be unheard of. Some places I would recommend looking would be La Jolla and Del Mar(more expensive, great school district and right on the shoreline, 20-30 minutes from base), Carmel Valley or Sorrento Valley (less expensive, decent schools, closer to the base and midway between the base and the shoreline), Scripps Ranchs(On the East side of the base, but really nice area, absolutely great districts, and mostly new development.)

Let me know if you want more details. GL
  4. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    That made me chuckle! I'm from San Diego, living in Virginia. I promise, that as long as your children know safety and are aware of their surroundings, that should not happen...lol! My parents always made me aware of the horror stories that happen in Tijuana. I think now one has to have a passport to come back across the border. When I was in high school, LOTS of seniors would go down there to drink. Scary, because of the news reports about teen girls getting abducted down there...
  5. Senior Member
    When I got down here I was staying with a cousin up in Mira Mesa (not a bad area) right next to Miramar. I was watching the weather and saw that on the coast it was going to be in the low 80's, on the inland side of town it was going to be 115... I started looking for places on the coast. I wasn't particularly keen on the california idea either, but I haven't seen anyone kidnapped or sold yet and it's been a year of living five miles from the border so you're probably okay.
    No more damn ticker, he's home!
  6. Senior Member

Mira Mesa has good schools and very close to MCAS Miramar. That was one of the areas we were looking at when we moved back to San Diego after being gone for three years in Korea but it is hot. We lived in El Cajon, which about 20 miles east of SD, for eight years and it was HOT out there. We live down in Chula Vista now where it's a lot cooler but too far from Miramar for you. We chose to be in Chula Vista for the schools and the weather and dh is at 32nd St naval base so it's like a 10-15 minute drive on a good day, LOL! Traffic can be hectic here during rush hours.
  7. Always & Forever
    Always & Forever
    Miramar is not in the middle of no where? It is about 8 minutes East of La jolla which is a GREAT area. If you drive another 8 minutes into La Jolla there are 20 million dollar homes. I have lived here for 4 years now. I absolutely LOVE it!! I live in off base housing though. There is a ton of stuff to do, I think you and your kids will absolutely love it here!
  8. Senior Member
    I seem to like the sounds of the Chollas Historical houses...only 7 of them- my kind of housing!!
    The Chollas historical houses are right in the middle of Chollas Heights neighborhood, so they are not in their own private section. You'll still be in the middle of 400 other houses. I live in Chollas Heights and it seems really nice so far!
  9. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?

I'll just say that your fears are a bit irrational. It's San Diego, not Crenshaw boulevard, Compton or East LA. Sure, there are certain areas that aren't great, but that's with any major city. You likely won't ever venture over to the barrio or 'ghetto.'

I'm from San Diego. I've lived in South Bay--Chula Vista, Mira Mesa, about two minutes outside Miramar, just outside downtown SD and downtown SD within walking distance of Petco Park.

We never had a desire to live on base or in military housing. We always rented out in town and when we PCS back there we will either buy a house or rent. We don't really like living in military quarters, honestly. We currently live 45 minutes south of base.

I prefer to be away from it all. To live amongst civilians and a mix of other people. I don't like dealing with the drama that can come with living on base. You have *a lot* of options as far as where to live depending on your budget and number of kids. Your husband may have to commute some. It just depends on where you want to live and what you want in the community.

Do you want to live in more central SD where everything is? 20-30 minutes out? Is there a certain mile radius that is your max? For instance, many CP and Miramar families live in Temecula or Otay Mesa because the housing market crash hit *hard* in those areas. For this reason it's a good time to buy.

I get you on the military wife thing. I haven't gotten involved with wives of husbands in DH's shop/unit in a good 7ish years. There are all sorts of ways to make friends. I'm sure you'll do fine once you get settled in and learn your way around.

Feel free to check out military by owner to find homes for sale or rent.
    Pax, Aeon
  10. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    And Miramar in the middle of nowhere? Um, no it's not. It's a good 10 minutes away from UTC and 15-25 minutes away (depending on traffic) from Mission Valley/Mall and Fashion Valley. It took my husband 25-30 minutes to commute to work from downtown. Mira Mesa and Miramar are most certainly not in the middle of nowhere.

And deserty? I don't know how Miramar can possibly qualify as deserty. Stumps and Yuma, sure. Not Miramar.
    Pax, Aeon