Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have a drill sgt for a husband ?????

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

anyone have a drill sgt for a husband ?????

Advertisements
    or at least used to be one ??

I ask, as my husband is to re enlist when down range and at the moment he is really looking towards becoming a Drill SGT - whe i tell people this I keep getting some strong reactions and i wanted to hear from someone first hand that has experienced this lifestyle.

did you see your husband much??? what were the hrs like? did your husband like the job?

any advice would be most gratefuly received!!!!!
  2. Senior Member

That's what DF is probably going to re-enlist to. I hear that it's not that bad. Better than a deployment anyway... I think they still get to come home at night and get like a couple weeks off every 3 months? This is what I heard.

3. Mrs Haines
    Mrs Haines
    My husband is a Drill Sergeant right now!

Hours DO suck. He's at work at 4-5am most days and works past 10pm.

Here's what you've gotta keep in mind. There are three phases, Red, White, and Blue. Red phase is the worst. A DS per platoon has to stay with the privates at all times. You have 3 DS's per platoon of 50+ privates. So that means for that first 3 weeks of BCT your hubby will be away for the majority of the time. This is when he'll have every few days as CQ duty.

White phase is a little less time away, but it's when they start spending time in the field (so a few nights away from home back to back).

Blue phase is when the privates need the DS's less during the 24 hrs. This is because they've gained trust to be alone most nights. Now your hubby may still be away at night but it's a lot less often. During blue phase they have the FTX (final field training exercise) which is a week in the field. So hubby would be gone for that time too.

Here's the great part: no deployment! I know that even if hubby is at work a lot, he's just across the street (we are lucky enough to live close to the training grounds on post). I can take him dinner every night and we text through the day. We also don't have kids except our two fur babies. I work full time, so I'm not sitting at home waiting on when he gets time. If we had babies I'd have a hard time with this, but it works well for us right now.

There are downfalls, but after three 15 month deployments ... we're thankful for this take a knee assignment.
    "I am absolutely convinced that there is no way around this... I have fallen in love with you" - DH

Would you believe me if I told you that fairy-tales come true .. when I'm with you?

4. Senior Member
    My husband is a drill instructor. They work A LOT, especially their first few cycles. I think once my husband didn't come home for 21 days or so? No that's not common but they do work A LOT.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by peeps26001 View Post
    My husband is a Drill Sergeant right now!

Hours DO suck. He's at work at 4-5am most days and works past 10pm.

Here's what you've gotta keep in mind. There are three phases, Red, White, and Blue. Red phase is the worst. A DS per platoon has to stay with the privates at all times. You have 3 DS's per platoon of 50+ privates. So that means for that first 3 weeks of BCT your hubby will be away for the majority of the time. This is when he'll have every few days as CQ duty.

White phase is a little less time away, but it's when they start spending time in the field (so a few nights away from home back to back).

Blue phase is when the privates need the DS's less during the 24 hrs. This is because they've gained trust to be alone most nights. Now your hubby may still be away at night but it's a lot less often. During blue phase they have the FTX (final field training exercise) which is a week in the field. So hubby would be gone for that time too.

Here's the great part: no deployment! I know that even if hubby is at work a lot, he's just across the street (we are lucky enough to live close to the training grounds on post). I can take him dinner every night and we text through the day. We also don't have kids except our two fur babies. I work full time, so I'm not sitting at home waiting on when he gets time. If we had babies I'd have a hard time with this, but it works well for us right now.

There are downfalls, but after three 15 month deployments ... we're thankful for this take a knee assignment.

this is our main goal - My husband is about to do 3rd deployment and we promised each other this would be our last.

I figure the hrs are crappy but you know what - he's not in a war zone !!!!

we are used to not seeing each other much - 3.5 years together - living in differerent countries except for the last 8 months - and even in those last 8 months he's spent 4 months in the field training.

thank you for your response - we dont have kids and i plkan on being a gym imstructor when we get back to the states so i think this could really work for us!!!!!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosie View Post
    My husband is a drill instructor. They work A LOT, especially their first few cycles. I think once my husband didn't come home for 21 days or so? No that's not common but they do work A LOT.
    thanks for the response - i appreciate it !

your right 21 is a lot of days but well after dealing with 3 deplyment s and months gone in the field with no communciation - i'll take it!!!
  7. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    the worst part of the drill field is that they are so close, but so far away.

i know the two branches have their differences, but put anything at the end of DRILL and it sucks, Sergent or instructor.

my husbands hours seem to be the same what the PP with a DS husband said. lights to lights is what they call it in the marine corps. i dont know what the army considers it. its like 4 or 5am to 9 9:30 pm.

its hard, it can make or break their career in the Corps, because in the Corps, the recruit is believed before the DI. I don't know if its the same for army.

i guess if you're going for non-dployable.. well.. he's deployed to the training field. I always say my husband is as good as deployed.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by wcchick712 View Post
    the worst part of the drill field is that they are so close, but so far away.

i know the two branches have their differences, but put anything at the end of DRILL and it sucks, Sergent or instructor.

my husbands hours seem to be the same what the PP with a DS husband said. lights to lights is what they call it in the marine corps. i dont know what the army considers it. its like 4 or 5am to 9 9:30 pm.

its hard, it can make or break their career in the Corps, because in the Corps, the recruit is believed before the DI. I don't know if its the same for army.

i guess if you're going for non-dployable.. well.. he's deployed to the training field. I always say my husband is as good as deployed.
    see i know of 3 Drill Sgts and they find it so rewarding - ultimately my husbands happiness is whats important and i think the practicality of training troops will be good.

im sorry you hate it

I must admit though, the hrs really dont phase me -im sorry you feel your husband 'might aswell be deployed' that does suck - but at least youve got peace of mind hes safe and he's not in a war zone.

I cant wait for that peace of mind.
    Last edited by Love_bug; 06-04-2010 at 04:25 AM.
  9. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Mine may ACT like he's a DI at home but he knows better and understands that *I* am the one in charge.

Naw, my hubby isn't but I wish he was. I saw a program on tv once where the DI's wife was involved in keeping the recruit's family's posted on the progress and it just struck me as pure awesome.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    Mine may ACT like he's a DI at home but he knows better and understands that *I* am the one in charge.

Naw, my hubby isn't but I wish he was. I saw a program on tv once where the DI's wife was involved in keeping the recruit's family's posted on the progress and it just struck me as pure awesome.
    thats exciting to hear!! im really hopeful for this - i hope he gets it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast