Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Base of Preference?

1. Lurker Extraordinaire
    Lurker Extraordinaire

Base of Preference?

Advertisements
    Could someone please explain this to me?

DB currently has about... 2.5 years or so left on his current contract. We've been talking lately about whether or not he's going to reenlist at the end of this contract. We will be married by that point, according to The Plan. He feels that it is important to involve me in the decision on whether he reenlists of gets out because it will affect my life as well. We've been talking a lot about pros and cons lately. One thing he's mentioned is this whole base of preference thing, and I don't think I'm understanding it correctly.

What I think I'm getting from him is that, as long as he reenlists early enough (at least a year before his current contract expires?) he gets "base of preference" for his (our) next duty station. Which means that we would get to decide where we wanted to move to. This sounds pretty freaking awesome to me, but almost too good to be true. Do you really get to choose wherever, from anywhere? Or are you given a list of places to choose from and you can pick one of those? He's air force, if that makes any difference, currently a senior airman. He tested for Staff Sargent a few weeks ago, but doesn't think he did very well because he didn't have much time to prepare.
    Can any of you ladies (or gentleman) clarify how this works for me? I would really appreciate it.
    "Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Starting Today: 101 things in 1001 days
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    from what DH has told me (correct me if I'm wrong) you put in your top 3 choices as long as your job can go there.
    dh is af too and tested this year
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.
    One thing I've learned about life: It goes on.
    we just got our base of preference. we didn't just get to choose any base in the world either. they gave us a list of like 5 or 6, maybe 7 bases that had an open slot for DH's career field and his current ranking. we got to choose off that list. it was not a very pretty list at all either... there was only one that we even liked at all and we did get it thank goodness.
  4. Senior Member
    DH says make sure to check the timeline of when you can apply for base preference. Once your window expires it is gone and if you re-up they choose for you. He said that it is like the "dream sheet" from basic, you list up to 8 on the request for base of preference, the Air Force will then tell you which of those has an opening (based on job and rank), it could be none at the time of your request, or you can select the one they offer you. If you decide not to take the one they offer to you, you can reapply in 3 months. You can only request state side bases though. Hope this helps and good luck!
  5. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    it depends where they have openings and all. sometimes they'll work with you sometimes they wont. my ex got his base of preference when he reenlisted but they needed him there. good rule of thumb is nothing is EVER guaranteed in the military.

6. Lurker Extraordinaire
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Aw poo. I was getting all excited about moving to Germany without having to take a job blindfolded (which was my plan my last semester of college. Obviously didn't work out).
    "Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

7. Lurker Extraordinaire
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitney. View Post
    it depends where they have openings and all. sometimes they'll work with you sometimes they wont. my ex got his base of preference when he reenlisted but they needed him there. good rule of thumb is nothing is EVER guaranteed in the military.
    I'm definitely learning that. Just trying to get as much information as I can, in hopes that MAYBE things will turn out like they say?

8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    well if he does a short tour to korea or somewhere of the sort he can get an overseas assigntment.
    we were gunna do that but got lucky and got orders to england before having to be apart for a year.
    my best friend is currently in korea and her follow allong with england too, she gets there a month after we do! (she's active duty)
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitney. View Post

So true! My DH is in the Navy and he got stuck in Virginia. Definately not by choice.

I hope your DB gets what he wants though!
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherMo View Post
    we just got our base of preference. we didn't just get to choose any base in the world either. they gave us a list of like 5 or 6, maybe 7 bases that had an open slot for DH's career field and his current ranking. we got to choose off that list. it was not a very pretty list at all either... there was only one that we even liked at all and we did get it thank goodness.

ditto..i don't think it will be his preference, just what ever is open in his field and who needs bodies...then he can choose from there.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast