Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Firearms while living on base?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Firearms while living on base?

Advertisements
    A girlfriend of mine is married to a marine and she was just recently telling DH and I that you are not allowed to have any sort of firearms or weapons while living on base. And if you do want them you have to apply to have them and usually you get turned down. I wanted to know if this was true? DH is an avid hunter and has several different shot guns and both him and I archery hunt so we have our compound bows.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Contact your housing people, they will be able to answer this for you.

Often there are armories that can be available to members for their weapons. I don't believe that bows are included in that, but I could be wrong.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My husband leaves for basic in August so I really dont have anyone to contact as of now.
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Once you know the base that y'all will be going to after Tech School, you can call and ask.

But, as examples I found this:

Little Rock AFB:
    Firearms Registration
    The only personnel on Little Rock AFB required to register personally owned firearms are those living in the dorms or who are billeted in the Razorback Inn. These people must take their firearms to the Security Squadron office, Bldg. 480 and turn them in to be locked in the arms room. Whenever the service member wishes to use his/her firearm, it must be checked out from security.

When transporting firearms on base, the gun must be unloaded and must be stored in the vehicle separately from its ammunition. In other words, the gun and the ammunition must not be next to each other. Personnel living in family housing or off base are not required to register their personal firearms on Little Rock AFB.
    Little Rock Air Force Base | Arrival

Minot:
    Firearms
    When you arrive, notify the duty security police of any firearms or other weapons in your possession. No weapons are allowed in temporary living facilities on base, including the Sakakawea Inn and dormitories. Proper storage and registration instructions are available from the main gate sentry.
    Minot Air Force Base - Fact Sheet (Printable) : NEWCOMER INFORMATION

Kirtland:
    Weapons and firearms

The Law Enforcement Armory is the designated storage facility for privately owned weapons and ammunition not authorized for retention by owners. Personnel residing in base housing may keep their weapons and ammunition in their quarters or store them in the Law Enforcement Armory.

Individuals living in temporary quarters, lodging, or the dormitories must register and store privately owned weapons in the Armory. You can check out your weapons temporarily, but they must be returned within 72 hours, unless you're going on leave, temporary duty or have written permission from your first sergeant or commander.

Concealed weapons permits issued by civil authorities are not valid on Kirtland AFB without the expressed written consent of the installation commander. If you bring a firearm on base, you must inform the gate guard of the intended use and destination. The weapon must be unloaded and not concealed. The transporting vehicle will not be left unattended and the driver must use the most direct route to and from storage. Firearms cannot be transported on motorcycles, bicycles, or any other two- or three-wheeled vehicles.

Call the Law Enforcement desk for more information at 846-7913. Factsheets : Kirtland AFB Newcomers

Cannon:
    Q: When I PCS to Cannon, will I have to store my firearms at the Base Armory or will I be allowed to store them in my personal Gun Safe? Also, I have my Concealed Weapons permit so how will that work if I'm required to keep my pistol in the armory? Will I need to stop by the armory on my way out and then once I return to the base?

A: Thank you for your inquiry into our firearm regulations. All Cannon AFB housing residents, to include Chavez Manor/Chavez Manor West, 801 Portales and 801 Clovis, must register all firearms with the Security Forces Armory.

Base housing residents must complete the registration process within 10 duty days after taking possession of a firearm, including receipt of household goods shipment. However, storing Privately Owned Weapons at the Base Armory is not the only option.

Personal weapons and ammunition should always be securely stored in an appropriate container with tamper-resistant mechanical locks. These weapons should have a safety device, such as a trigger lock, installed to prevent access by children or unauthorized individuals. Individuals who have a concealed carry license are not permitted to carry a concealed weapon on the installation.

Finally, all persons entering CAFB must notify the Installation Entry Controller when transporting privately owned weapons onto the installation. These weapons should be transported directly to and from the Installation Entry Point to either your family housing unit on base, 27th Special Operations Security Forces Squadron Armory, firing range, Rod and Gun Club or sanctioned event location only. Weapons are to unloaded and placed in the trunk, behind the seat or in the bed of a truck. Additionally, the weapon and the ammunition must be separated and out of the reach of the driver and cannot be stored in the vehicle.

If you are staying in lodging, you must store all firearms in the security forces armory immediately upon arrival.
    Cannon Air Force Base - FAQ Topic

It varies from command to command...
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Crystal thank you so much! DH was really worried about the NO FIREARMS! So I had to ask... I really appreciate it!
  6. Senior Member
    From what I have heard and known to be true is most AF bases allow them as long as they are registered with the cops.

Other branches I have heard do not allow them at all but since you are AF it doesn't matter.
  7. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    I had mine in Navy housing, all I had to do was register it.
  8. Senior Member
    Also, when PCSing you want to look into the state laws with regard to transporting your weapons.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

thanks everyone for the great info!