Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving to Hawaii...

1. Regular Member

moving to Hawaii...

Advertisements
    ok, so ive heard the army will only ship 1 car! we have to have 2. how do we get our other car there? can we take the 2nd one if we pay part of the shipping? or no? is it all up to us to get the 2nd car there?
  2. Senior Member
    Pretty sure its all up to you to get the car there.
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by torrey View Post
    ok, so ive heard the army will only ship 1 car! we have to have 2. how do we get our other car there? can we take the 2nd one if we pay part of the shipping? or no? is it all up to us to get the 2nd car there?
    Yes, the military will only authorize to ship 1 vehicle to Hawaii. If you need to ship out a second vehicle, you'd need to do so by paying out of your own pocket. Claim that expense on your income taxes. What some people do is sell their second vehicle prior to moving to Hawaii, and just buy an "island beater" upon arrival.
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Yes, the military will only authorize to ship 1 vehicle to Hawaii. If you need to ship out a second vehicle, you'd need to do so by paying out of your own pocket. Claim that expense on your income taxes. What some people do is sell their second vehicle prior to moving to Hawaii, and just buy an "island beater" upon arrival.
    i dunno if rich will sell his truck, he just got it and is still making payments. i guess we'll just have to pay to get em both over then deduct it from our taxes. ok-thanks
  5. Senior Member
    You can get cars pretty cheap over there. A friend said her guy at the time boght a car for like $900 and sold it to someone else for $900 a few years later when he left.
    She also said the residents don't have nice cars because there are lots of thefts and vandalism. That if people see "nice" cars they know they are rentals from vacatioiners. Just something to think about.
  6. Senior Member
    If he just bought the truck look into the warranty. My parents moved there and were lucky 3 1/2 years ago that there was a loophole in their warranty because Toyota told them their warranty wouldn't be valid there. Fortunately for them the warranty said it was good in the US and didn't have OCONUS. If the warrarnty says OCONUS they will not cover it. Also remember that the salt in the air from the ocean there messes with cars. My mom had just bought her Highlander 6 months before they moved and should be back in the next 2 years and will be leaving it behind because it wouldn't be worth bringing back and having to try to get things fixed.
  7. Senior Member
    And you need to make sure the financer of the loan will allow him to take the car out of your current state.
  8. Regular Member
    Where exactly are you PCSing from? My husband and I moved a couple months ago from Seattle area and it would have cost $800 to ship our second car to Hawaii. That was the military discounted rate.
  9. Regular Member
    from southern cali. -and im not too worried about the salt air, my car will be in the garage under a car-cover most of the time. its only for racing/autocross really.Its not for errands/grocery-store stuff. plus i wash it every weekend, wax it befor events, and so on...and we're only gonna be there a year. But I think DH will be leaving his truck here with his dad and buy a beater for over there. But thats up to him, whatever he wants to do is cool with me.
  10. Senior Member
    Jellie! Love Hawaii!

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast