Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?about base housing bdrms/dependents?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Question ?about base housing bdrms/dependents?

Advertisements
    I was just wondering - when we get our first station, IF we get base housing, as a family of 6, will we qualify for a 3 or 4 bedroom? Will we have the choice of taking a 3 over a 4 if waiting list for a 4 bd is considerably longer? It's currently me and dh, 3 boys ages 10, 9, and 2, and 1 girl 13. We have had 3 bd apts up to now and had the 3 boys in one room, and it has worked just fine. Just wondering how military decides what you qualify for and how much of a say you actually have?

I am leaning towards base housing, as long as the base we get assigned to has decent houses. I like the idea of living in a self-sufficient, secure community!
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

You have 5 kids right, so a family of 7? We have 3 kids (with a 4th on the way) and qualify for a 4 bedroom. If the base you are going to has 5 bedroom houses you will qualify for one of them if available, otherwise you should definatly get a 4. Usually the 3 bedroom houses have a longer wait list as they are for people with 0, 1 or 2 kids (0 and 1 kid if there are no 2 bedroom houses available). I know the base we are PCSing to soooon has over 20 people on the 3 bedroom list and there was only 5 on the 4 bedroom list.

3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Oh, no there are 6 of us altogether - so yeah looks like we would qualify for a 3 bdrm. But wondering if we could choose a 3 bdrm if shorter wait.... I cant stand the thought of being in lodging for months and months before we get placed in a house, lol. Although i know lots of families do it!

Good to know that the wait for 4 bdrm in your case has been minimal, hoping thats what we encounter too! Id love to give the lil guy his own room (all those toys he has tend to take over)!
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

sorry I read your daughters age wrong, thought you had 2 a 1 and 13 yr old. My bad. You qualify for a 4 bedroom, and at most bases they really prefer you take a 4. When we were moving onbase here, there were no 4 bedroom available for a few weeks after we needed it (our lease was running out), so we did take a 3 bedroom, but the only reason why they let us look at it was because it had a semi finished basement we could use as a 4th room.
    Some bases have long term TLF housing which you could look into as well. Also check out AHRN for housing, sometimes you can get a house off base cheap.

5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I think you should qualify for a four bedroom. With dd having her own room, the two older boys sharing, and the baby in his own room. (and obviously the master bedroom) That's how it always worked for us (with four kids and only one of them being a girl).
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    You would qualify for the 4 bedroom. Every base I have looked at has a shorter waiting list for the 4-5 bedrooms because not as many people have that many family members. You could get a 3 bedroom with only 2 kids which is common so those fill up faster and have longer waiting lists.
  7. Senior Member
    But the shorter waiting list may be all relative because the base probably has more 3 bedrooms than 4 bedrooms. So the number of families on the list could be shorter for the 4 bedrooms, but it may take just as long to be offered a house.
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    But the shorter waiting list may be all relative because the base probably has more 3 bedrooms than 4 bedrooms. So the number of families on the list could be shorter for the 4 bedrooms, but it may take just as long to be offered a house.
    Most bases have more or equal 3 bedroom, than 4 as they are more in demand

9. Senior Member
    You qualify for a 4 bedroom. I don't think they will give you a three bedroom though. You and your husband will get one, your daughter one and the 2 yr old one and the two oldest boys can share if they don't have a 5 bedroom houses (some bases do most don't).
  10. Regular Member
    We are a family of 8. We qualified for both a 4 and 5 bedroom home. Our youngest was under a year old at the time. They try for one child per room. Sometimes that doesnt work (like in our case lol)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast