Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCSing to Ft Lewis

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

PCSing to Ft Lewis

Advertisements
    My husband is currently deployed but we found out he has orders to go to Ft. Lewis WA. We have about 8 months before we will be headed that way but I'm trying to get a head start on learning which neighborhoods off post are the best places to live. Anyone have any suggestions on neighborhoods to stay away from and why? We currently don't have kids but as soon as he gets home we will be actively trying So schools are important. We just prefer living off post just to "get away" a little bit.

Thanks ladies!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    stay away from south tacoma, some parts of lakewood. the good areas are dupont, olympia, north tacoma, puyallup.

i'm born and raised here in tacoma and my DH is stationed at ft lewis. if you need any help or have questions about anything feel free to message me!
  3. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Quote Originally Posted by bfors319 View Post
    stay away from south tacoma, some parts of lakewood. the good areas are dupont, olympia, north tacoma, puyallup.

i'm born and raised here in tacoma and my DH is stationed at ft lewis. if you need any help or have questions about anything feel free to message me!
    ^ good advice.

I'm in the north end so I'm not too much help, but for another WA girl!
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Jump for Joy

thanks!! I'm very excited! We have been at Stewart for the last 2 years and I'm ready for a move!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I was just stationed there which is now JBLM and I was on the Air Force side. It rains alot so you get used to doing stuff in the rain. The base housing is very nice so you could always leave that option open. There are tons of stuff to do, I would suggest getting a boat because the lakes and sound is beautiful there during the summer. You are 2 hours away from snowboarding or skiing and if you have 4 wheelers you can ride right on the beach in oregon which we would spen a week there every summer camping. It is truly a fun place, just dont forget the umberella!
  6. Senior Member
    I was in Rainier for fifteen years, if you're looking for somewhere off the beaten path and don't mind a bit of a drive (half hour) to the base, around there and the yelm area is nice and quiet, mostly pretty rural.
    No more damn ticker, he's home!
  7. Senior Member
    I like on the AF side too even though hubs is Army. I love our house. Im not much help with advice for living off post but I did want to say for another WA girl!!!
  8. Mrs.Fanntastic
    Mrs.Fanntastic
    I will be stalking this. We may be heading this way after deployment as well.
    ~MommaJ~

9. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Yelm is a pretty good place, especially if you want to be rural, it's by Spanaway which can get you to Ft. Lewis pretty fast. Pretty small town in that area and lots and lots of military families.
    Olympia is gorgeous. Be careful about where you go in Tacoma, it can get pretty iffy.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Eh.... Tacoma isn't THAT bad. Just stay away from places like South Tacoma Way.... pretty much anywhere East of I-5.... and old downtown Tacoma (Hilltop area and by the docks). Also, I wouldn't venture around in Lakewood at night... but that's just me.

Nicer areas:
    North End ($$$)
    Fircrest
    University Place
    Steilacoom
    parts of Olympia/Lacey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast