Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First PCS...HELP!

1. Member

Neutral First PCS...HELP!

Advertisements
    How much do the movers expect you to have done? Should everything be pulled out of the closet? Should all the clothes be folded and hung? This is our first move, I am here doing it alone, and I have no idea how much I should be doing. TIA!
  2. Moderator

Honestly, they will pack everything exactly as you have it, assuming it's not on the list of items they won't pack at all. So what/how much you have done is really up to how you want things packed. If you have a massive pile of dirty laundry in the middle of your living room, they will throw it in boxes. With paper on top. Lots and lots of paper. Embarrassingly wasteful amounts of paper.

If you want it to be packed folded, fold it. They don't do any more or less than they are required to do, which isn't necessarily bad. When we got packed out, I set aside one room to fill with the things I didn't want them to take and put a big sign on the door that said "DO NOT PACK THIS ROOM."

We recently unpacked and I found out just how much trash I missed while I was cleaning my house out to leave- because they packed it all too. Wrapped carefully in paper.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Honestly, they will pack everything exactly as you have it, assuming it's not on the list of items they won't pack at all. So what/how much you have done is really up to how you want things packed. If you have a massive pile of dirty laundry in the middle of your living room, they will throw it in boxes. With paper on top. Lots and lots of paper. Embarrassingly wasteful amounts of paper.

If you want it to be packed folded, fold it. They don't do any more or less than they are required to do, which isn't necessarily bad. When we got packed out, I set aside one room to fill with the things I didn't want them to take and put a big sign on the door that said "DO NOT PACK THIS ROOM."

We recently unpacked and I found out just how much trash I missed while I was cleaning my house out to leave- because they packed it all too. Wrapped carefully in paper.

haha yes, they will literally pack everything as it is! one of my good friends was PCSing and the movers seriously picked up their trash can in the house (WITH A FULL BAG OF TRASH STILL IN IT!!!) and just packed it up in a box!

what a surprise when you unpack the boxes, huh?
  4. Member
    lol well that is a relief, I have a lot done, but they are coming tomorrow morning so I really have to stop and make sure WE are packed for the trip! thanks so much
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by oxsarahjane View Post
    haha yes, they will literally pack everything as it is! one of my good friends was PCSing and the movers seriously picked up their trash can in the house (WITH A FULL BAG OF TRASH STILL IN IT!!!) and just packed it up in a box!

what a surprise when you unpack the boxes, huh?
    DH PCS'd from England to Japan and a lot of his stuff went into storage until we got here. There were 2 boxes of TRASH, including empty pizza boxes, was not pretty.

Just make sure the stuff you don't want them to take is seperate from the rest.

6. His beautiful!!
    His beautiful!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    DH PCS'd from England to Japan and a lot of his stuff went into storage until we got here. There were 2 boxes of TRASH, including empty pizza boxes, was not pretty.
  7. You are here.
    You are here.
    OP Just be sure to get everything that you are taking with you and you don't them to move (especially valuables and clothes/shoes you'll be wearing during transit) into a closet with the door closed, a room closed off or even in your vehicles because they will pack everything and anything....DH told them to please not touch anything on the frig, and I told that man "you better take it with you to work in your truck" and sure enough he didn't do it, they forgot and they packed everything up. That caused a whole unpleasant situation and money we had to shell out for a damaged part for DH's vehicle. Next time I'll just stick his crap in with mine, all mine and the kids were in my durango, but no, not his...
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    All we did was unplug EVERYTHING from the outlets and take off everything from the walls. It really is fairly easy once the movers arrive. The movers will take apart the beds, cribs, etc.
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post

Oh yes!!! That too! It would suck to have your PACKED suitcases all packed up...LOL!!!
  10. Senior Member
    Yeah our move to Alaska we had trash, open food from the pantry (told to stay out of) and my wedding rings (on top of fridge only thing up there towards the back) packed up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast