Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: REALLY IN NEED OF ANSWERS!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

REALLY IN NEED OF ANSWERS!!

Advertisements
    MY FIANCE HAS BEEN IN ENGLAND AT MILDENHALL FOR A YEAR THIS MONTH. WE ARE GETTING MARRIED ON JUNE 12TH. CAN ANYONE WHO HAS GONE THROUGH THIS PROCESS GIVE ME SOME ADVICE?? DO I NEED A VISA TO GET THERE?? OR CAN I GO ON A TOURIST VISA AND THEN APPLY FOR ONE THERE?? I'M SO CONFUSED.

WHEN HE COMES HOME TO MARRY ME HE'LL BE ON LEAVE FOR 2 1/2 WEEKS, I DON'T WANNA FLY THERE ALONE..IS IT AT ALL POSSIBLE TO GET A PASSPORT EXPEDITED IN TIME?
  2. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    First of all, don't type in all caps. It hurts alot of people's eye, and it comes across as yelling. But I don;t have any actual advice for you.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

From my understanding, if you want command sponsorship to be there with him, you will need to get approval and that can take some time. Command sponsorship will get you the passport you need, visas, pay to move your things over, flight paid for, access to benefits like, ablilty to live on base, ect... without command sponsorship I do not believe you have access to any of these things (maybe 1 or 2, but its only if space is available, like going to see a dr. and stuff)

You can go over on your own dime, but then yes, you will have to pay for the visa, you will have to leave every 3 (i think its 3) months and then go back (paying for your own tickets each time), you will not be able to live on base, they will not pay to move your things there or back, ect...
  4. Banned
    Banned
    it is a long process- and can take 3-6 months for everything to go thru-
    since your DF is stationed there already for a yr- in order for your to get the command sponsorship and get a paid move- he MUST have at least 12 months left after you get there for you to be able to go.
    so if he has 12 months as of the day he gets married- they will not move you because of the cost and time it takes to get you there- they will not move you if your only going to be there a few months.

or they may make him extend his contract before allowing you to go.
  5. Senior Member
    He would have to extend because he would need to change from a 2 year unaccompanied tour to a 3 year accompanied tour. They won't pay to move you there because you will be an acquired dependent. And, last I knew, if you do not have a visa, you can only stay for 6 months per 12 month period, and would probably need to have a round trip ticket to prove you will not be staying beyond 6 months.
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    He would have to extend because he would need to change from a 2 year unaccompanied tour to a 3 year accompanied tour. They won't pay to move you there because you will be an acquired dependent. And, last I knew, if you do not have a visa, you can only stay for 6 months per 12 month period, and would probably need to have a round trip ticket to prove you will not be staying beyond 6 months.
    To the bolded, yes they will extend his tour there if the command sponsorship is approved and for the most part they do like them to have alteast 12 mths left on their tour (so you will be there for about 2 yrs). To the part after it not always true. If you are CS they will move your stuff and pay for your flight HOWEVER, you must not be there when the CS is approved, if you are they will not pay.

You can pay to go over yourself and will need to pay for a tourist visa or try and get a student or work visa if you plan on studying or working while there. If you are just there on a tourist visa, you will not be able to to anything onbase without your DH until you have your ID, then you will be able to, but it will be limited and somethings he will still have to be with you.

7. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    To the bolded, yes they will extend his tour there if the command sponsorship is approved and for the most part they do like them to have alteast 12 mths left on their tour (so you will be there for about 2 yrs). To the part after it not always true. If you are CS they will move your stuff and pay for your flight HOWEVER, you must not be there when the CS is approved, if you are they will not pay.

You can pay to go over yourself and will need to pay for a tourist visa or try and get a student or work visa if you plan on studying or working while there. If you are just there on a tourist visa, you will not be able to to anything onbase without your DH until you have your ID, then you will be able to, but it will be limited and somethings he will still have to be with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    From my understanding, if you want command sponsorship to be there with him, you will need to get approval and that can take some time. Command sponsorship will get you the passport you need, visas, pay to move your things over, flight paid for, access to benefits like, ablilty to live on base, ect... without command sponsorship I do not believe you have access to any of these things (maybe 1 or 2, but its only if space is available, like going to see a dr. and stuff)

You can go over on your own dime, but then yes, you will have to pay for the visa, you will have to leave every 3 (i think its 3) months and then go back (paying for your own tickets each time), you will not be able to live on base, they will not pay to move your things there or back, ect...
    I agree..you're best bet is to go through the military for command sponsorship...it is a lengthy process, but they will move you back over here on their dime...plus, if he's in the barracks now, there's no guarantee that they will let him live off base with you if you stay over there without command sponsorship...they may just tell him he can stay a few nights but be required to stay in barracks since you're not over there officially with the military.