Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFMP killing careers....

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

EFMP killing careers....

Advertisements
    I thought I would share a recent story that might be of interest to you. I am currently deployed with my brigade of which I have been assigned to for 13 years. I contacted my branch manager to get reassignment options for when I returned. I was offered a very nice opening and agreed to it. After 2 months, I contacted branch since I hadnít heard anything yet. My branch manager informed me that my EFMP status had been disapproved.
    Now here is the tricky part, I had updated my EFMP status to reflect that after my current deployment, my EFMP child was going to live with his mother (my ex) and that he would not be accompanying me on my next assignment. Apparently branch and the EFMP coordinator that assigns soldiers refused to look at this and my orders were cancelled and I have been fenced back in to the same post/brigade I have been with for over a decade. I am left to wonder if that is what has been keeping me at my current assignment for so long and why no one told me. But this point also raises a few more questions:
    1. If my son did not live with me, ever, but was still enrolled in EFMP, would I be restricted to whatever post was nearest to him and my ex?
    2. why is there no system in place to notify soldiers with EFMP children of which posts offer the services required by their children? ASK is fine if you donít mind being assigned to a constantly deployed post, but if all three of my choices did not have facilities for EFMP, it makes it rather pointless, doesnít it?
    3. even if my son were to accompany me to the assignment I had negotiated, there were off-post medical services provided, why couldnít we use them?

By keeping EFMP soldiers tied to larger posts that have on post facilities, you are ensuring the death of their career. They will constantly be deployed and get tired of serving and get out, or like in my case, their career will grow stagnant because they cannot progress anymore in their field. EFMP needs to adapt to the current needs of the SOLDIER, not the needs of the Army.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When you get a chance, please introduce yourself in our newbie section.
  3. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    That hasn't been the case in our situation. We were always told that DH could go wherever but I may have to stay back.
  4. Senior Member
    Well it needs to benefit all members involved in my opinion. It needs to suit the military and it needs to suit the family.

I can see why they keep the families around where the services are on base because paying off base providers costs much more and the military is trying to cut back costs not add more.

I am sorry your orders got canceled though.
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mossey2000 View Post
    That hasn't been the case in our situation. We were always told that DH could go wherever but I may have to stay back.
    ditto...they were all about sending DH to Gitmo for two years unaccompanied back in 2005, since DS had a EFMP level of a 3 at the time. We went through the command sponsored medical eval and passed, but the EFM level is what got us....I have heard several other people still that are taking orders unaccompanied to one spot due to their dependent's EFM level. Or they take something else, like we had to do when DH had verbal orders to Ft Worth, but the medical facility wouldn't accept our DS.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My son is in the EFMP program and because of his age and him being Autistic he is in CAT 5. Meaning the Navy was only giving us 5 choices of places to transfer too. NONE of which would be good for dh's career.

SO I made the decision to stay here with my children and my dh geo bach(which in the long run will be BETTER for my son because he is getting the best care here anyways and I do not want to start all over again with my son... it would be regression)

Anyways he now has the choice of orders now instead of only 5 staions.

It is just different for each case/person.
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpain View Post
    I thought I would share a recent story that might be of interest to you. I am currently deployed with my brigade of which I have been assigned to for 13 years. I contacted my branch manager to get reassignment options for when I returned. I was offered a very nice opening and agreed to it. After 2 months, I contacted branch since I hadnít heard anything yet. My branch manager informed me that my EFMP status had been disapproved.
    Now here is the tricky part, I had updated my EFMP status to reflect that after my current deployment, my EFMP child was going to live with his mother (my ex) and that he would not be accompanying me on my next assignment. Apparently branch and the EFMP coordinator that assigns soldiers refused to look at this and my orders were cancelled and I have been fenced back in to the same post/brigade I have been with for over a decade. I am left to wonder if that is what has been keeping me at my current assignment for so long and why no one told me. But this point also raises a few more questions:
    1. If my son did not live with me, ever, but was still enrolled in EFMP, would I be restricted to whatever post was nearest to him and my ex?
    2. why is there no system in place to notify soldiers with EFMP children of which posts offer the services required by their children? ASK is fine if you donít mind being assigned to a constantly deployed post, but if all three of my choices did not have facilities for EFMP, it makes it rather pointless, doesnít it?
    3. even if my son were to accompany me to the assignment I had negotiated, there were off-post medical services provided, why couldnít we use them?

By keeping EFMP soldiers tied to larger posts that have on post facilities, you are ensuring the death of their career. They will constantly be deployed and get tired of serving and get out, or like in my case, their career will grow stagnant because they cannot progress anymore in their field. EFMP needs to adapt to the current needs of the SOLDIER, not the needs of the Army.
    While I feel your pain in this situation, as with anything in the military, it all depends on your individual situation. I was also wondering if you had taken the situation up the chain of command to try and get situation rectified? While that particular assignment may not be available, you may be able to get something else.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Well it needs to benefit all members involved in my opinion. It needs to suit the military and it needs to suit the family.

I can see why they keep the families around where the services are on base because paying off base providers costs much more and the military is trying to cut back costs not add more.

I 100% agree with Southern-Momma.

Also, I do not in anyway agree that EFMP "kill careers" of the service member. Speaking from experience, we were given the OPTION for my husband to continue with his overseas orders after I had a medical issue come up that would force me to stay in the states until it had resolved. He could have chosen to continue to his overseas destination while I stayed behind, but we chose to stay together because it is what we felt was best. The medical issue that originally held us back from going overseas together has no resolved and I am no longer considered a EFMP. It was not hard to get that removed from the file and my husband is free to go wherever the military needs him to be and I will be given another chance to go through the medical evaluation to be command sponsored and go with him.

I am pretty sure that once you complete your deployment and return to your post and make new living arrangements for your child, you will be able to get your reassignment. They may have canceled your orders because they need to the new living arrangements already in process, perhaps?

I also know for a fact that there IS a system in place that tells the service member where the bases are that provide the services for the EFMP. I know that we were given a list of bases to choose from and they explained that those are the bases that could provide the care I needed at the time. IF the list is limited it could be because of the EFMP need's -- and I would think making sure that your family member's needs are taken care of would come before your wanting to live elsewhere? It's just something that has to be done but its a sacrifice most are willing to make for their family.

As far as the off base provider care... they're not going to offer that option if at all possible. It's in THEIR best interest to keep you within the military medical system because they know those doctors and whether or not the military facility can meet your EFMP needs. It's not their job to know the civilian providers the way they know the military ones.

It makes sense to me... and that's saying a lot because sometimes what the military does just doesn't make a lot of sense. This issue - they're right on the money with for the most part.
  9. Queen of Boyville
    Queen of Boyville
    Quote Originally Posted by froglove View Post
    My son is in the EFMP program and because of his age and him being Autistic he is in CAT 5. Meaning the Navy was only giving us 5 choices of places to transfer too. NONE of which would be good for dh's career.

SO I made the decision to stay here with my children and my dh geo bach(which in the long run will be BETTER for my son because he is getting the best care here anyways and I do not want to start all over again with my son... it would be regression)

Anyways he now has the choice of orders now instead of only 5 staions.

It is just different for each case/person.
    John is, too. And when we came up for orders we were told for T's job that we either had Norfolk or Whidbey, and where we go we will finish out his career there. So, we are going to Whidbey.

I don't think it could kill a career, but every case is different like Froglove said.
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpain View Post

This is sooo not true at all.
    1. No you are not restricted if you apply for your orders as unaccompanied.
    2. You can find out from your detailer which bases you can go to with your child depending on your childs condition, however you may not get one of those bases, they can send you where they want, when they want depending on where they need you
    3. Yes they will send you off base for care if there is none onbase. My ODS sees a maxiofacial surgeon offbase as we live in Utah (on EFMP orders) because the medical clinic here is very small. We have to travel an hour to see the dr, however the main reason why they sent us here is the Childrens hospital in SLC. The thing with the military is that the military comes first and then the family.

I think the information you are getting is wrong and whomb ever is telling you this, you need to go over their head.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post

To the bolded, yes they will try and accomodate to have the family member near an MTF that can support them as offbase care can be costly, however they will send offbase if they have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast