Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Command Sponsorship Question..

1. Banned
    Banned

Big Grin Command Sponsorship Question..

Advertisements
    Hi!
    I am new here so I hope i have put this in the right place. Anyway I'm having a terrible time with some Navy BS! My fiance is moving to Italy in July of this year... he is currently at Schooling. We are getting married in December here in Australia. I'm Australian and I want to move with him after the wedding, but I've been told CS can take up to 5 months to be approved. I suggested we have a small legal ceremony in October, but he said unless the paperwork is done beforehand he can't even marry me then. If it is 5 months, I can't wait that long (We have been seperated for nearly two years), so I will enter on a tourist visa for 3 months, leave, and come back and hopefully it will be done by then.. I understand this means no access to the base, medical etc, but he will be living off base anyway.. and I can speak italian. Anyway, my question lies here... am I even eligible for Command Sponsorship because I'm not American? I can't get a 'nofee' passport obviously, so how could I be? I just don't understand and my fiance can't/won t get the ball rolling until he gets there. I'm starting to get nervous. Any help would be appreciated..
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

another Aussie

3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Sorry Welcome to MSOS, remember to introduce yourself in the newbies section and read the stickies when you can.

DH was in Okinawa and I was home in Australia when I got CS'd it only took about 6 weeks. They say give up to 3 mths. You need to get married before you can start the CS process. PM me if you have any questions

4. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    I'm not American, I am English and I am Command Sponsored.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougall View Post
    Hi!
    I am new here so I hope i have put this in the right place. Anyway I'm having a terrible time with some Navy BS! My fiance is moving to Italy in July of this year... he is currently at Schooling. We are getting married in December here in Australia. I'm Australian and I want to move with him after the wedding, but I've been told CS can take up to 5 months to be approved. I suggested we have a small legal ceremony in October, but he said unless the paperwork is done beforehand he can't even marry me then. If it is 5 months, I can't wait that long (We have been seperated for nearly two years), so I will enter on a tourist visa for 3 months, leave, and come back and hopefully it will be done by then.. I understand this means no access to the base, medical etc, but he will be living off base anyway.. and I can speak italian. Anyway, my question lies here... am I even eligible for Command Sponsorship because I'm not American? I can't get a 'nofee' passport obviously, so how could I be? I just don't understand and my fiance can't/won t get the ball rolling until he gets there. I'm starting to get nervous. Any help would be appreciated..
    Hi, as far as I know your fiance can marry you whenever (providing his job is not one where he has to be single).

BUT for him to apply for command sponsorship you do have to be married.

Once you are married you are eligible for command sponsorship even if you are not an american citizen but as for the passport, I don't know how that works.

Without command sponsorship your access to things are limited and on a space available type status (ie any military member or dependent that has sponsorship will come ahead of you. I

Good luck.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Hi, as far as I know your fiance can marry you whenever (providing his job is not one where he has to be single).

BUT for him to apply for command sponsorship you do have to be married.

Once you are married you are eligible for command sponsorship even if you are not an american citizen but as for the passport, I don't know how that works.

Without command sponsorship your access to things are limited and on a space available type status (ie any military member or dependent that has sponsorship will come ahead of you. I

Good luck.

"Job where he has to be single"? I know he is employed as a "single sailor" but i don't think there is any reason for this apart from...well he was single. Lol.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougall View Post
    "Job where he has to be single"? I know he is employed as a "single sailor" but i don't think there is any reason for this apart from...well he was single. Lol.
    haha, no not what I mean. I believe it is within the marines, but there is a job where it is a requirement you be single. I just can't remember what it is. Maybe an embassy job?
  8. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    Well, if he's in school, he DOES have to ask permission to get married, or, some schools do require it, and without the permission they won't get the ball rolling for anything, since he disobeyed a direct order. So, it's not unheard of for someone to have to ask permission to get married while in a school status. Other than that, nothing can be done for CS without the marriage certificate. I know my DH had to notify his school he was planning on getting married between "A" school and his PDS and that helped me get command-sponsorship to Hawaii the first time, so they were willing to ship our HHGs and POV, etc. It's better to dot your I's and cross your T's
  9. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    DH had to get his commanders approval to get married.... I had to do a bunch of pre-martial paperwork (that we got from the MPF) and his Commander had to sign it off before we could get married.
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by lillie View Post
    DH had to get his commanders approval to get married.... I had to do a bunch of pre-martial paperwork (that we got from the MPF) and his Commander had to sign it off before we could get married.
    yep, there are commands that demand this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast