Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: orders or letter-in-lieu of

1. Regular Member

Help orders or letter-in-lieu of

Advertisements
    okay so a bit of what's going on with us. we're going to misawa next month!!! super yay because we've been in ohio for about 8.5 yrs, boo. anyway dh got his rip back in december when he was deployed. he got back in march and was told that he didn't have to start doing anything until april and may. well here we are just a couple weeks left in may and we still don't have orders. we have our flight reservations for june 12!!!

the thing that is holding up our orders is the special needs office in the hospital. now i know air force is different from the others. we have the paper work filled out, i'm doing my walk-in dental tomorrow morning and our son is having his dental at 9 tomorrow. we'll then turn in all the paper work and then have to wait until the 18th to get our orders. will this be okay? we can't do tmo without the orders. should dh try to get a letter-in-lieu of orders tomorrow so we can schedule our pack and pick-up and get into billeting here and reserve billeting over there? we're both stressing about this and don't want anything to mess our move up. thanks for any and all help and info.
  2. Senior Member

You can call and set up your billeting without orders...

You can't set up TMO without the orders and letter will not work. You will have 2 packouts though. The first one is unaccompanied baggage that gets there quicker and you puts things in there that you will need when you get there...bedding, clothes, pots and pans/dishes, computer, TV.

Because it can take up to 2 months or longer to get your stuff they will give you furniture to use until then. It isn't the most comfy stuff but it works!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by decks View Post
    You can't set up TMO without the orders and letter will not work.
    Actually, it may work. We have had TMO except the in-lieu of letter to start the process. It is not as risky if you set up the packing so that it occurs after you will have the orders. In other words, use the letter to set up the packing dates, but schedule those dates far enough out that you will already have orders before the packers come to your house.
  4. Senior Member
    Honestly I would wait til you get everything done for the screenings (ie dental) JUST in case there is something that could delay your leaving.

Than see if tmo will accept a letter or if you need hard copies. Personally I wouldn't do much without hard copies since until those come down orders could be canceled.
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Honestly I would wait til you get everything done for the screenings (ie dental) JUST in case there is something that could delay your leaving.

Than see if tmo will accept a letter or if you need hard copies. Personally I wouldn't do much without hard copies since until those come down orders could be canceled.
    agree, not to mention that TMO will schedual you in pretty quickly if there is not much time between when you get your orders and when you leave. We PCS'd from okinawa to utah in less than 2 weeks. It can be done. I would wait till you have orders, command sponsorship, visas, passports and everything. If you get a letter-in-liew and then something happens and the command sponsorsip isn't approved, than you have to go and reshecdual and work out other things. Not saying this to be negative, but things happen.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    agree, not to mention that TMO will schedual you in pretty quickly if there is not much time between when you get your orders and when you leave. We PCS'd from okinawa to utah in less than 2 weeks. It can be done. I would wait till you have orders, command sponsorship, visas, passports and everything. If you get a letter-in-liew and then something happens and the command sponsorsip isn't approved, than you have to go and reshecdual and work out other things. Not saying this to be negative, but things happen.
    I am actually thinking of get everything set up movers come and something goes wrong and sponsorship gets pushed back for some issue (lets use dental as an example) and than her and her child have to live with no stuff. Or if the orders got canceled because of sponsorship issues and their items are already gone.

Really OP, wait for hard copies. Granted chances are nothing will happen, but is it worth the risk?
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    I am actually thinking of get everything set up movers come and something goes wrong and sponsorship gets pushed back for some issue (lets use dental as an example) and than her and her child have to live with no stuff. Or if the orders got canceled because of sponsorship issues and their items are already gone.

Really OP, wait for hard copies. Granted chances are nothing will happen, but is it worth the risk?
    I was thinking kinda on those lines too.

8. Regular Member
    thanks ladies! and you're right something could happen and we would have nothing. we're doing our dental screenings tomorrow and turning in the paperwork to the special needs office. has anyone else in the af had to do the special needs thing? just wondering if it's relatively new part of pcs'ing? also i'm glad to know that getting our orders just two weeks may actually work to our advantage when it comes to tmo. we already know that it will take a while to get our stuff over there. so should we expect our express shipment to be pretty much right after we get our orders? also should we also expect our HHG to be packed up the last week of this month or the first week in june?

oh also dh gets frustrated when i ask him the same things over and over again, and i understand he doesn't know a lot of stuff about pcs'ing because it's our first one. so i really have to nobody to ask these things. dh seems to think that his sponsor over there is the one to set-up our billeting and housing over there. is that true? that doesn't seem right to me. honestly i'd feel much more comfortable with one of us setting that up. i don't have control issues but i don't want to trust someone i don't know at all to handle something like our son having a place to sleep, lol.

i'd like to ask another question of those of you who've been overseas and then came back. when did you or your dh get his follow-on assignment? did anyone get a BOP? i'm more than ecstatic to go to japan for 3 yrs, have wanted to go to japan since i was about 12, but i also already want to know where we're coming back to.

sandykay- are you at hill now? if so how do you like it?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlids View Post
    thanks ladies! and you're right something could happen and we would have nothing. we're doing our dental screenings tomorrow and turning in the paperwork to the special needs office. has anyone else in the af had to do the special needs thing? just wondering if it's relatively new part of pcs'ing? also i'm glad to know that getting our orders just two weeks may actually work to our advantage when it comes to tmo. we already know that it will take a while to get our stuff over there. so should we expect our express shipment to be pretty much right after we get our orders? also should we also expect our HHG to be packed up the last week of this month or the first week in june?
    For overseas orders and the AF, I know we went "overseas" (said that way since it was alaska) about 6 years ago and we all had to do screenings to go, so it isn't a real new thing but when that started (as I don't remember doing them when I was a kid and went overseas via the AF) I can't say.

I think as soon as you get your hard copies your husband needs to get into TMO and set the move dates for as soon as possible. But when it will be done is all dependent on when they have time in the schedule since y'all are most likely not the only ones pcsing.

oh also dh gets frustrated when i ask him the same things over and over again, and i understand he doesn't know a lot of stuff about pcs'ing because it's our first one. so i really have to nobody to ask these things. dh seems to think that his sponsor over there is the one to set-up our billeting and housing over there. is that true? that doesn't seem right to me. honestly i'd feel much more comfortable with one of us setting that up. i don't have control issues but i don't want to trust someone i don't know at all to handle something like our son having a place to sleep, lol.
    As far as I know, no it is not the sponsors job to set up housing for sure and I don't think billeting. Simple reason is that they don't know when you are arriving and they can not sign any contracts for you. Some will put in a temp reserve date for billeting on when you believe you will get there but it is easier for you to do it since you will have your tickets and know your flight schedule.

i'd like to ask another question of those of you who've been overseas and then came back. when did you or your dh get his follow-on assignment? did anyone get a BOP? i'm more than ecstatic to go to japan for 3 yrs, have wanted to go to japan since i was about 12, but i also already want to know where we're coming back to.

sandykay- are you at hill now? if so how do you like it?
    Lastly (lol), you won't know where you are going to be stationed after Japan because well they don't plan that far in advance. It is only a follow on where the military member might know their follow on if the orders are for a remote pcs. So if your husband has orders for a normal pcs to Misawa (which rocks by the way) for approx 3-4 years, than no he will not have orders for his next assignment until that time frame is almost up. BUT if he has orders to Japan for 1 year and you guys are getting command sponsorship to go as well for that one year than yes he would get follow on orders normally before he gets there BUT not always. He MIGHT get his base of preference after Japan but he might not. It depends on the manning at the base he wants for his rank and job. Like my hubby is off to Korea for a remote 1 year tour. He got turned down for his bop follow on. It is not a sure thing ever and even less so now.

Yes Sandy is at Hill now but only for a few more weeks. How she likes it she would have to answer lol.
  10. Regular Member
    thanks southern-momma! it is a normal pcs for 3yrs with approved dependent travel!! yay!! i figured we should do our reservations ourselves. do we have to email a copy of his orders to reserve billeting and be put on a the housing list? my brain is working now, ealier my glucose was low so i was a little spacey, lol. i have so many questions as we've never done this before, thanks for the answers, guidance, and patience.

the other issue we seem to have, that hopefully y'all will know about, is that we have our flight reservations from here, dayton, oh, to seattle but nothing past that??? so when will we get the rest of our itinerary and tickets? dh is thinking it may be like for his deployments where they only reserve the first few flights then you pick up the rest at some designated place at the airport. i have no clue as i NEVER deployed when i was in. we're just both getting nervous since it's so close and we've never moved and we SO don't want to mess anything up or have the dates pushed back or worse have the orders cancelled.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast