Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of things to send in advance for a PCS

1. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.

List of things to send in advance for a PCS

Advertisements
    Ah, I'm sure that has been asked countless times but I can't seem to find a list or advice on what sort of things to mail in advance.

We are moving and will be without our stuff for a month or two and I'm trying to figure out what sort of items we should send ahead of us by mail. I'm not worried about furniture or kitchenware. So far all I can think of is extra clothes, towels, shower curtains, bathroom stuff...

Anyone have a list or advice on things to mail ahead of us?

ETA: *overseas pcs* so we won't have the option of moving anything ourselves :]
    Last edited by polkadotted; 05-05-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: more info
    boop boop boop boopy boop.
  2. Senior Member
    We drove both our trucks last time we PCSed so we just brought a bunch of crap, lol. But those seem to be the essentials. Do you have kids? If so make sure you take theyre favorite toy or what not but also a few smalls things to play with (it gets expensive to buy that stuff). Of course you know to take you important papers... Ummmm, I cant think of anything else youd really have to mail. Ill think on it some more.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    we never mail anything ahead- we just pack up the car and go- we have always been able to get out HHG's with in 2 weeks of getting to the new duty station-

some of the cost of shipping can be reimbursed under the partial PPM ( dity) rules.
  4. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    we never mail anything ahead- we just pack up the car and go- we have always been able to get out HHG's with in 2 weeks of getting to the new duty station-

some of the cost of shipping can be reimbursed under the partial PPM ( dity) rules.
    Unfortunantly we don't have the option this time to do a DITY or driving with all our stuff already. we're heading overseas :]

Quote Originally Posted by Kat1983 View Post
    We drove both our trucks last time we PCSed so we just brought a bunch of crap, lol. But those seem to be the essentials. Do you have kids? If so make sure you take theyre favorite toy or what not but also a few smalls things to play with (it gets expensive to buy that stuff). Of course you know to take you important papers... Ummmm, I cant think of anything else youd really have to mail. Ill think on it some more.
    Nope no kiddies but that's a good idea for those that do. thanks!
  5. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    If you are sending unaccompanied baggage, I would make sure that you have the movers come pick that up at least 4 weeks before your regular HHGs. I wouldn't stress too much about those kinds of things because all overseas FFSCs have lending closets where you can borrow pots, pans, baking sheets, plates, silverware, microwaves, etc. I think the kit even includes some linens. Contact the FFSC (I'm guessing you're Navy, but whatever branch you belong to's family support center), and see what they put in their welcome kits. I know in the past we've gotten towels, washcloths, kitchen linens, etc. in there. I also know that you get loaner furniture as well (It's crappy, but it's free ) I guess I'd rather live on the end I'm currently living on with my things, than pack it up and not have it, know what I mean? Armed Services YMCA also has kits you can borrow (for approx. $20), and I know those include linens. I know that a friend who moved to Schofield was even able to borrow a car seat from Army Community Services, so they seriously have just about anything to borrow at the community lending closet, except maybe a TV.
  6. Regular Member
    We just sent our UB today and it had:

A box of pots/pans/utensils
    Dishes, glasses
    20" TV
    Our Xbox and games
    Bedding and pillows
    Hub's PBP&E stuff
    Hub's Computers
    Some books and miscellaneous "busy" stuff, ie. coloring books and crayons/markers (no, we don't have kids, I just love to color lol), a board game, some cards...stuff like that

We're PCS'ing to Hawaii so I'm not overly worried about stuff to keep myself busy, but we sent it anyway.

Our HHG goes on Friday and pretty much everything else except clothes and my computer is going. I can't even imagine trying to DITY move; too much stuff, not enough sanity!

Times like this, I ♥ the Army!

Not sure if this helped, but just kind of what we sent and such.
  7. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.
    Quote Originally Posted by *tina* View Post
    Contact the FFSC (I'm guessing you're Navy, but whatever branch you belong to's family support center), and see what they put in their welcome kits. I know in the past we've gotten towels, washcloths, kitchen linens, etc. in there. I also know that you get loaner furniture as well (It's crappy, but it's free )
    No, not navy. yeah, we're going to be borrowing kitchenware and furniture which is why im not too worried about that but im adding bed linens to the list, i like mine too much, totally didnt think of that either. hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by Hillfoods_Wifey View Post
    We just sent our UB today and it had:

A box of pots/pans/utensils
    Dishes, glasses
    20" TV
    Our Xbox and games
    Bedding and pillows
    Hub's PBP&E stuff
    Hub's Computers
    Some books and miscellaneous "busy" stuff, ie. coloring books and crayons/markers (no, we don't have kids, I just love to color lol), a board game, some cards...stuff like that

We're PCS'ing to Hawaii so I'm not overly worried about stuff to keep myself busy, but we sent it anyway.

Our HHG goes on Friday and pretty much everything else except clothes and my computer is going. I can't even imagine trying to DITY move; too much stuff, not enough sanity!

Times like this, I ♥ the Army!

Not sure if this helped, but just kind of what we sent and such.
    It would be nice if we were moving to hawaii, at least we'd have a walmart/target, etc places where we can buy things for cheap.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    if your using UB, you can get up to 2,000 lbs now, and you can ssend all kinds of stuff, just not furniture!
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    if your using UB, you can get up to 2,000 lbs now, and you can ssend all kinds of stuff, just not furniture!
    Wowza, I wanna be in your branch! lol We got 850, but its just me and hubs. If we had kids, it'd be more, but not 2,000. Lucky!
  10. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillfoods_Wifey View Post
    Wowza, I wanna be in your branch! lol We got 850, but its just me and hubs. If we had kids, it'd be more, but not 2,000. Lucky!
    LOL we just found out we rate even less, 800 for express! so i need to really think of all the essentaisl we're going to need ahead of time but nothing is coming to mind! this move is making my brain a mess!

The rest of our stuff wont come for 1-2 months after we get there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast