Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: unnacompanied orders and dependents

1. Regular Member

unnacompanied orders and dependents

Advertisements
    My husband is in the Navy and has been unaccompanied for 2 yrs in Bahrain. He talked to the detailer and he said my husband can take another "2yrs unaccompanied" to Kauai" since they don't have the money to pay for dependents. He is originally from there. I am currently staying with my sister in Alabama. All my husbands household goods are in storage here. But my husband and I discussed just paying outta pocket to move me and our kids there. 4 years is way to long to be away from our kids and this is the best orders he can get besides Afghanistan. We just want to know if our tricare and stuff is still good and anything else I need to know. We are 6 months out and all orders we apply for getting denied because they dont have the money in the budget. Please help...I am so stressed
  2. Senior Member
    Well you won't (if I remember correctly) be qualified for BAH for that location, you won't be eligible for housing. You MIGHT (but I don't know) be able to get your tricare switched to there.

Honestly I would call tricare and ask about that. But if he has unaccompanied orders to that location generally you will not be eligible for the "benefits" you would if you were command sponsored.

I understand your frustration. Two years is barely tolerable. Not sure I could handle 4.
  3. Regular Member
    Well, we already have a place we can rent there from his aunt. But my main concern is medical. What is this command sponsorship stuff I keep reading about. I don't mind paying outta pocket to move me and my kids.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lkohana View Post
    Well, we already have a place we can rent there from his aunt. But my main concern is medical. What is this command sponsorship stuff I keep reading about. I don't mind paying outta pocket to move me and my kids.
    Command sponsorship is what allows everything to happen on the military's dime. If you have it, you would be moved at their expense, you would get BAH for that duty location, you would be eligible for base housing and (on the off chance you are not eligible for tricare in that region.
  5. Regular Member
    I seriously doubt they will give us command sponsorship. They are having a hard time filling billets there because no one will take the unaccompanied ones. They denied all our orders because it will be to much to move us from alabama to hawaii and then my husband from bh to hawaii. I am concerned because he didn't need household goods in bahrain since apartments there are all furnished so they are in storage here..im just hoping they will move them cause he will need it more than me. I'm just so lost and have no idea what to do..whether to stay or go but I don't think me or my kids can handle 4yrs apart
  6. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

There may not be any good orders in Hawaii but why can't he take orders on the east coast?

Something just doesn't add up. Not certain why he had a TWO year unaccompanied tour to Bahrain.

What would be the benefit for HIM to go to Hawaii and leave you and the kids in the states for two years? Why take orders where the military will not pay for the move or the BAH?

What rate is he? I ask because my dh has been AD Navy for 27+ years and knows the "game" quite well.
  7. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo View Post
    There may not be any good orders in Hawaii but why can't he take orders on the east coast?

Something just doesn't add up. Not certain why he had a TWO year unaccompanied tour to Bahrain.

What would be the benefit for HIM to go to Hawaii and leave you and the kids in the states for two years? Why take orders where the military will not pay for the move or the BAH?

What rate is he? I ask because my dh has been AD Navy for 27+ years and knows the "game" quite well.
    I was wondering about this as well. I know just about anything is possible in the military, but can they really make them take two unaccompanied tours back to back? I'd think they'd have to offer them SOMEthing that's not unaccompanied?? I'd take anything accompanied over unaccompanied.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  8. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkohana View Post
    I seriously doubt they will give us command sponsorship. They are having a hard time filling billets there because no one will take the unaccompanied ones. They denied all our orders because it will be to much to move us from alabama to hawaii and then my husband from bh to hawaii. I am concerned because he didn't need household goods in bahrain since apartments there are all furnished so they are in storage here..im just hoping they will move them cause he will need it more than me. I'm just so lost and have no idea what to do..whether to stay or go but I don't think me or my kids can handle 4yrs apart
    eh, when he comes up for orders in two years out of Hawaii, you guys might get screwed hard when they come to move you guys. Plus if he's going on unaccompanied orders to Hawaii, more than likely they will make him live in the barracks especially if the command says he has to live in the barracks, they will be the ones who will have the final say, especially if you and the kids "aren't" supposed to be there. I would honestly ask him to ask around about that command, or find someone on "together we serve" or military.com and see about their unaccompanied enlisted rank/rate person and what that particular command says about them living off base and in town. I know the few commands we've been to, enlisted with no dependents below a certain rank were told to stay in the barracks (not sure about ships, DH hasn't been attached to one since 2002).

Tricare, I don't think it really will matter, BUT it may mean you won't get seen by a PCM at the nearest MTF. You may have to go civilian provider. But I would call first.
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    I was wondering about this as well. I know just about anything is possible in the military, but can they really make them take two unaccompanied tours back to back? I'd think they'd have to offer them SOMEthing that's not unaccompanied?? I'd take anything accompanied over unaccompanied.
    I have actually heard of this....two MAs in DH's last command had two tours back to back unaccompanied...but they were only 1 year tours each. I'm wondering if he made someone mad or something. Or if he's doing it for his career? I know one did the two tours, and made chief the next year while on deployment. Also they banked a lot of money too. Mostly I think that is why both did it, was because of the money. It cost one their marriage. She wasn't ready for him to back to a sea duty command and three deployments, she wanted shore duty but he wanted to make rank faster.
  10. Regular Member
    He was on one year orders then did an OTEIP for an additional year. So it's almost been two years he was over there. There isn't any barracks on Kauai or base housing so he would have to live out in town. He knows the island because that's his home of record. but for the record he didn't make anyone mad. My daughter has dealt with alot of medical problems and seperation anxiety over the past year and has been through h*ll...if he is away from them another two years..she is going to be devestated and to top it all off..my 2 yr old doesn't want to talk to him on the phone or computer..he just cries and says he wants his daddy home.

Everything they offered him is unaccompanied and comes back to the fact that they don't have the money in the budget to move us and it would cost to much. He used to do Mobile security before bahrain and they told him no to virginia because it would hurt his career to go back to it.

Im just so fustrated and want to know if they really can make him do two back to back unaccompanied tours?
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast