Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Relocating from TX to NC tips? help!

1. Senior Member

Relocating from TX to NC tips? help!

Advertisements
    A little background: DH and I recently married in March. I am graduating w/ my Masters in May (woohoo!) and will be relocating up to NC with him shortly thereafter. He has been stationed there for a couple of years and we are utilizing the military services offered to move my stuff.

I will be receiving a phone call tomorrow afternoon in order to take a phone survey of items moved. How specific do I need to be with this? I wouldn't think I had to itemize every single thing being moved, however, I could be wrong. But wow, that would be a lot of stuff...

Also, I asked the woman, when she called a few days ago, what all I had to do and she said "You don't do anything, you just let them move everything you need to be moved." Now, I will be packing everything except for furniture into boxes, however, I was wondering if I should move everything into a central location? See, the location which they will be picking up my stuff is at my parents house so I was wondering if it would be better if I were to move my stuff out into the garage?

However, there are a few bulkier pieces of furniture my father can't move on his own (they are upstairs). Will the movers be able to assist him in moving those items?

Sorry, I am just really nervous about all of this! I want to get it right

Any tips, suggestions, etc? The movers will be coming in about 2 weeks.
  2. Senior Member
    Hmmm I don't have to much information to offer since my husband did it all for us, but I do know before they did come get our stuff they sent some guy from the moving company to walk thru our apartment and check out every thing we had. He told us what we needed to do like unplug all the electronics and other than that just leave every thing in place and they will take care of it. I know they didn't take candles or cleaning products(we had to throw them away) and of course our food.
    Im sure when they call you tomorow they will let you know how specific to be.
    Im sorry I dont know too much but I hope it helps out a little
    Good luck w/ your move and graduating!
  3. Senior Member
    Thanks hon, they called and told me that thay would be packing everything for me. I feel kinda wierd about that but whatev. I will be transporting all elctronics myself so they won't have to
  4. Banned
    Banned
    they will pack everything- I would try to have as much stuff in one place as you can- and then walk them thru and have the big furniture marked some how.

and also a little tip- if you pack it they will unpack it and repack it.
  5. Katie
    Katie
    AIT-- Fort Knox, soon to be Baumholder Germany
    My advice would be post it notes on all the furniture you want/ or don't want to go. Label the big items.
    I am in love with an Amazing Soldier!