Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's next?

1. Regular Member

Confused What's next?

Advertisements
    So last time we PCSed (my first PCS), it was a real short time between when we got our orders and when we moved... so, I don't really know how this all happens.

DH got a verbal on Tuesday from his detailer with the boat name, base name & report date. Now what do we do? Do we just wait for them to show up in BUPERS? How long can that take? DH doesn't even know if he still knows how to get into BUPERS- is the only way we'll be notified of orders, or will he be notified via his current command, as well?

I don't want to tell DS's school not to start pulling tuition out of our bank for next fall or give my notice at work until we have 'orders in-hand'.

Housing shouldn't be an issue, since we're planning on living off base...

THANKS!
    Thanks,
    Nicki
  2. Regular Member
    I know that lately the Navy has been very behind with getting hard orders to people. Until you get your hard orders, you can't really do anything. Verbal doesn't really mean much...only that you will probably go to that place. But, verbal orders can always get changed by the time you get your hard orders. I don't think you can arrange for your PCS move or anything until you get the hard orders in hand.

He should get his hard orders through his current command. In fact, his detailer should be in contact with his superior at his current command.

3. Regular Member
    Yeah, we already got burned once this month with verbal orders. We were supposed to go to New Construction in VA, but then the next day, we found out the DH was ineligible for them...

Good to know that they'll come from his command- so we don't have to worry about checking BUPERS daily or anything...
    Thanks,
    Nicki
  4. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by divanicki75 View Post
    So last time we PCSed (my first PCS), it was a real short time between when we got our orders and when we moved... so, I don't really know how this all happens.

DH got a verbal on Tuesday from his detailer with the boat name, base name & report date. Now what do we do? Do we just wait for them to show up in BUPERS? How long can that take? DH doesn't even know if he still knows how to get into BUPERS- is the only way we'll be notified of orders, or will he be notified via his current command, as well?

I don't want to tell DS's school not to start pulling tuition out of our bank for next fall or give my notice at work until we have 'orders in-hand'.

Housing shouldn't be an issue, since we're planning on living off base...

THANKS!
    To the bolded, I would definitely wait until you have orders in hand to do anything. Like the other poster, it can change. We had THREE verbals orders, one to NAS Ft Worth, one to Omaha, then it changed to Pensacola....the fourth try, back to Omaha, finally went through. If we would've followed the time table, we would've been out of a house to live in for nearly three months. Its best to wait until you have orders in hand to do anything. Good luck and I hope they come through for you guys soon.
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

We have had verbal orders since Sept and orders on VMPF since Jan, but we can not (and I wouldn't advice either) do anything till we have hard copy orders in hand (should have then by the end of the month, they are usually available 3 mths before report date). He should be notified by mil email when his orders are available too (I could be wrong with that though).

6. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    He should be able to check NKO in the BUPERS section to see if the orders have been issued. Those showed up about three days before we got the official message traffic (hard orders) from his new command. I believe, and I could be wrong that the orders in NKO are your "hard copies" now. We have never actually been issued paper orders
  7. Regular Member
    Yeah, last time I just logged into his BUPERS (he was deployed)... DH is not motivated to login to BUPERS to look, he just wants to wait until his current command lets him know... I think I'm going to have to light a fire under him... tomorrow will be a week since we've had verbal orders. I've been hearing that it should only take 2 weeks (and up to 2 mos) for them to appear in BUPERS...
    Thanks,
    Nicki
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We just waited 6 weeks for orders to go into bupers.
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SARsweetie View Post
    I know that lately the Navy has been very behind with getting hard orders to people. Until you get your hard orders, you can't really do anything. Verbal doesn't really mean much...only that you will probably go to that place. But, verbal orders can always get changed by the time you get your hard orders. I don't think you can arrange for your PCS move or anything until you get the hard orders in hand.

He should get his hard orders through his current command. In fact, his detailer should be in contact with his superior at his current command.
    Yep, i know one couple who is PCS'ing from Japan pretty soon, and they are on hold because of their PCS....i thought it was funny she got smart with me when i told her I thought they were behind on funding PCS moves still from last fiscal year, a week later she make another thread that they were in the same boat we were in last September....
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frybread View Post
    Yep, i know one couple who is PCS'ing from Japan pretty soon, and they are on hold because of their PCS....i thought it was funny she got smart with me when i told her I thought they were behind on funding PCS moves still from last fiscal year, a week later she make another thread that they were in the same boat we were in last September....
    Man I wish we were extended, we got pushed up three months from July to April to PCS. I hated having to pull the kids out of school earlier this month to move from Korea to San Diego. Would have been easier if it was October if we were extended. Oh well, it's all done now.

Anyway, dh was notified by his mil email when he got his orders. I am not sure if it was saying they were available on BUPERS or not, I never asked, LOL! And I don't remember how it went when we moved to Korea, it was such a whirlwind three years ago.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast