Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How do you ever decide!!!

1. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife

Confused How do you ever decide!!!

Advertisements
    DF and I are moving to Las Vegas this summer. We know the neighborhood/area we want to be in (Centennial Hills in NW Vegas) but that's about all we know. I've been apartment searching via the internet and between google mapping the address to see where it and trying to figure out if it's a nice place I am going nuts! Just when I think I've found a good place I end up reading reviews that say its dirty, noisy, parking is terrible or that management is rude and tried to charge them extra rent or something!!

This is my first time moving with DF and my first time trying to find apartments and he put me completely in charge because I am supposedly "better at this stuff" than he is. I don't how we'll ever decide what's a good place! And to complicate it more he told me that all the places he has lived (which have been fabulous) have gotten bad reviews online

How do you ever decide?
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"

2. Senior Member
    It is kinda going to be a wait til you get there and can physically go in and look at them.

As well as often many housing offices will have places they have a good relationship with (work better with the military) and places they say to stay away from.

Contact the housing office for Nellis and ask them if they have such a list of apartments complexes they prefer.
  3. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    It is kinda going to be a wait til you get there and can physically go in and look at them.

As well as often many housing offices will have places they have a good relationship with (work better with the military) and places they say to stay away from.

Contact the housing office for Nellis and ask them if they have such a list of apartments complexes they prefer.

I agree....they will have a list that will say which one is recommended, which one offers RPP and ones that have been blacklisted due to crime, constant complaints about issues or even discrimination for being military. our old apartment complex was blacklisted due to crime and them charging extra or finding ways to charge AD members deployed, like parking violations, damaged from flooding, broken appliances.
  4. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife

We're actually based at Creech but all the resources /support like finance and such are at Nellis so...call them I guess? If I tell them what neighborhood area we're interested that would be ok ? because we want to be closer to Creech than Nellis. I hadn't even thought to call them honestly! Thanks
    Originally JessaBecc
    "God must be a WVU Mountaineer too cause he made the sun gold and the sky blue!"

5. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Quote Originally Posted by Frybread View Post
    I agree....they will have a list that will say which one is recommended, which one offers RPP and ones that have been blacklisted due to crime, constant complaints about issues or even discrimination for being military. our old apartment complex was blacklisted due to crime and them charging extra or finding ways to charge AD members deployed, like parking violations, damaged from flooding, broken appliances.
    Oh wow! I didn't know they had info like that!! Thanks for telling me. I keep hearing about crime in Vegas so it'd be great to not have to guess about all that. Can I call them even though DF and I are just engaged?
    Originally JessaBecc

6. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Sorry internet posted it twice....
    Last edited by JoyfulJourney; 04-19-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Double post.
    Originally JessaBecc

7. Senior Member
    Yeah, go through Nellis housing. Tell them his duty station is actually Creech but if I remember correctly Creech personal live at Nellis housing. Either way, they at housing can help you. You can probably tell them the neighborhood you want and they can tell you if they have any suggestions for that neighborhood.
  8. Air Force Wife
    Air Force Wife
    Yeah, go through Nellis housing. Tell them his duty station is actually Creech but if I remember correctly Creech personal live at Nellis housing. Either way, they at housing can help you. You can probably tell them the neighborhood you want and they can tell you if they have any suggestions for that neighborhood.
    Awesome!
    Originally JessaBecc

9. Senior Member
    Yes, you have to go through Nellis to talk to housing. They have a list, but it's not very accurate from what I hear. They seem to think that the apartments right outside of base are great, but anyone we know who's lived there has regretted it from day one.

He should get housing leave. Since he's coming from training, it'll probably have to wait till he arrives here. Take that opportunity to visit the apartments you want to see and drive around the north side of the metro to get a feel for it. DH came out here without knowing where we were going to live. Part of the Af "fun." To me, it's worth seeing to make sure it's what you really want.
    Cooking with Mrs Sea Monster | My Ramblings
    Mommy to Aiden (Nov 2010) and Zoe (VBAC Nov 2012)