Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: House Hunting Leave

1. Regular Member

House Hunting Leave

Advertisements
    Hi All,
    DH is currently stationed at NSW Charleston (SC). Looks like we're going to KB, GA or Bangor, WA. If we go to Bangor, we'll want to take House Hunting Leave. I know that they are entitled to leave, but I'm not sure how many days. Also, I know this is a stretch, but do you know if travel/lodging is paid for during this leave? (If we got WA, we'd have to fly there).

Thanks,
    Nicki
    Thanks,
    Nicki
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Here is what I found for you on Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Entitlements

HOUSE HUNTING TRIP PRIOR TO MOVE. Military members are allowed a permissive TDY (Temporary Duty) for up to 10 days in conjunction with a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move between and within the 50 states & District of Columbia. By "Permissive TDY" that means there is no transportation or per diem paid, but members are not charged for leave.

Military members may request (from their commander) this permissive TDY anytime after they receive their written re-assignment orders. However, because there is no travel entitlement, most military members elect to use this benefit, after signing out of their old base, but before signing into their new base. In other words, they plan to arrive at their new base 10 days early, which then gives them 10 days for house-hunting, which is not charged as leave.

The "house-hunting" entitlement only applies for members who will not be living in the barracks/dormitories after arrival at the new assignment.
    In other words, if he wants to do the house hunting prior to the whole PCS then he will have to apply for it as a permissive tdy and all travel is out of pocket and there is no guarantee that the permissive tdy will be accepted. Most military members will do this during the PCS process as they are paying for you to travel to the new base and they will be entitled to TLE, DLA, etc during that time.

3. You are here.
    You are here.
    They are entitled to it but its really up to the command's discretion if they are allowed to take it. I know with dh's old command, no, they wouldn't allow him to take it. When he was in Mayport he was allowed to take it because it was a PCS to Kings Bay. And he was allowed to take it when he PCS'ed to Panama City from Kings Bay. But he was not allowed to take it from Panama City to Virginia. And no, nothing is paid for, gas nor hotels. Its all on your dime. I think we saved up for the hotel, gas, and food when we did the house hunting leave to Panama City.
  4. Regular Member
    ick. Thanks for your help!! SandyKay- where did you find that section you quoted? Just for reference- I had been looking on Militaryonesource and couldn't find anything...
    Thanks,
    Nicki
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by divanicki75 View Post
    ick. Thanks for your help!! SandyKay- where did you find that section you quoted? Just for reference- I had been looking on Militaryonesource and couldn't find anything...
    If you click on the last part of her first sentence, it will take you to the link...
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    House hunting leave is 100% out of pocket, and if you need it I can cut and paste the official regs.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowCrystal View Post
    If you click on the last part of her first sentence, it will take you to the link...
    lol- I didn't realize it was a link... wow- I look stupid... lol
    Thanks,
    Nicki