Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Official Orders, ID, Getting started?!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Help Official Orders, ID, Getting started?!

Advertisements

SOO DH and I just got married.
    I'm not exactly sure where to start...

I'm not sure how to change my name legally or get my military ID without him here...

I got some papers from ?tricare? But I'm not sure if it was for me or him.. do i fill it out or does he?

He's currently being told we're headed for England.. BUT we haven't gotten our official orders yet (anyone know around what time in tech school those come?)

I'm sorry, I'm just feeling kinda overwhelmed and DH isn't here, and he's so stinkin busy i always feel like I'm overloading him or bother him with always asking him to see if anyone can give us this info...

So.. I'm turning to you guys.. any advice
  2. Senior Member
    Step one : Take 10 deep breaths, and calm down. Everything will work out.

Okay, If you go to the local court house, they should be able to help you with figuring out how to change your name.

For your Military ID, there is a form that needs to get filled out and taken to the DEERS office. It's mostly information that he fills out, from what I recall. But, he should be able to mail it to you once it is filled out.

You can fill out the TriCare info without him. I went without DH to get that filled out, no big deal. Just take it to the hospital on base, and there will be an office for enrolling into TriCare - I forget exactly what it's called, you give it to them, and then they mail you your insurance card.

I think DH got his orders like a month before Tech school ended...but his tech school was a year and a half long, sooo. It varies.
  3. Senior Member
    He will need to be the one that enrolls you in DEERS unless you have a POA to do so.

Enroll in DEERS You'll get your ID

Enroll in Tricare. If you do all of these before the 17th, you're benefits on Prime will be active on May 1. If after the 17th, you'll be eligible for Prime on June 1.

Orders will be different. If they have already been cut, he'll need to have them amended to add you.

Before you can join him overseas, you will need to get an EFMP screening and get command sponsorship. Which can take a while and isn't gaurenteed.

One step at a time though.

Until you are in DEERS you don't exist. So that is the 1st thing you need to do.

4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    To change your name all you do is take your marrage paper and go to Social secerity office. They will get your a new card with your new name on it.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone!!! You've been a great help