Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: HI! Moving to Norfolk VA.. can anyone plz tell me wat this place is like???

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

HI! Moving to Norfolk VA.. can anyone plz tell me wat this place is like???

Advertisements
    Im moving in with my bf and im very nervous ive never left my home before and just kinda wanna know what norfolk is like.. Is tough finding jobs?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I love Norfolk. Now mind you I wasn't there as Military SO, I grew up a couple of hours away from there. Very big, kinda crowded, the traffic SUCKS. VA Beach & Portsmouth & Hampton are right there too. Not far from Williamsburg (where Busch Gardens is) and not too very far from Richmond, VA (kings dominion, another awesome amusement park) Lots and lots of military. My SIL is a navy nurse there. Lots to do, check out the NorVa if you like concerts. The job scene idk about, it probably depends on what you do. There is probably a good amount of competition in the summer with the local kids.
  3. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    It is going to depend on where you end up living... I have grown up here and lived here my entire life. Each city has its good parts and bad parts. Some military housing is good other not so much... I will say I despise Lincoln (which is who runs it) with a passion.

As for jobs, right now it really depends on the field that you are wanting to work in.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    thanks =D
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It is going to depend on where you end up living... I have grown up here and lived here my entire life. Each city has its good parts and bad parts. Some military housing is good other not so much... I will say I despise Lincoln (which is who runs it) with a passion.

As for jobs, right now it really depends on the field that you are wanting to work in.
    I agree...there are some career paths that seem to always be hiring, and others aren't. If you are in healthcare, you should be alright, but if you are looking for municipal jobs or education jobs (with the school system, not daycare) you might have a tough go since they are dealing really rough budget cuts. Tourist areas were doing okay last year, i know in the beginning the local news was worried in the beginning of summer, but by labor day most of the businesses made their marks. Crime and traffic are high, but it is a heavily populated area. And make sure to schedule your driving times before rush hour, especially if you are using the tunnels. you can have a 30 minutes wait up to an hour, especially if a vehicle breaks down in the tunnel, or if there's an accident.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    oh wow!! thats pretty crazy
  7. Regular Member
    Yeah, traffic is terrible here! Waiting to go through tunnels is torturous and you basically want to stay off any road from 4-6. It has been an adjustment for me, I am originally from Ohio. I would suggest looking for places to live in Virginia Beach, we lived in Norfolk and just moved because there was no way I could stay in our apartment by myself when dh deployed. Like the other ladies said, it depends what kind of job you want. I didn't really have a problem, I am a bank teller, and I was a server when I first moved here.
    But it is a nice place, there is a lot to do here and it is very family friendly, even though I don't have kids.

3/6/10
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    We love it and live in Chesapeake. The traffic isn't as bad as I've endured in other places, like Hawaii. Fortunately, here, there are A LOT of side streets and alternate routes to avoid most of the high traffic areas.