Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Pickett in VA... tell me anything, Im desprate

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Help Fort Pickett in VA... tell me anything, Im desprate

Advertisements
    DB and I are moving to VA so he can work at Fort Pickett. Someone please go ahead and tell me how much the place sucks (I cant find much info on the internet so I know it will be a pretty sad experience, , but i will get over it, lol)

I know that there is no on-post housing but what about living off post? Does anyone know the towns and how they are? Any suggestions on where to look?

ANY info about Fort Pickett (that isnt widely available online) is highly appreciated.
  2. You are here.
    You are here.
    I think its near blackstone, South Hill might be a big of a drive from from the base. Petersburg isn't too far away, but its kinda in the middle of VA, and you're surrounded by farm area. Its a nice area, there's a lake not too far that you can go deep water diving in. I 95 and I 85 aren't too far either. But yeah, there are smaller towns around it, but you'll be in literally a few miles away from larger cities. There is a raceway we went to a few times in Petersburg, and the kids and I attended a powwow way back in November of 2008 near their airstrip.
  3. Senior Member
    "Its not WHERE but WHO you're with that really matters" (Dave Matthews Band)

Remember, a positive attitude can lead to a better experience!
    Sara
    I haven't heard of it and I've lived in VA my whole life. Did you see this website yet?

Military soldier coming to Ft. Pickett (near Wakefield) (Farmville: camp, mall) - Virginia (VA) - City-Data Forum

I see it's near Farmville. I know people who went to college there and the only thing they ever said was that there was nothing to do except go to Wal-mart. Sorry

What kind of things do you like to do? Shopping? Outdoors stuff? I could give you an idea of places to go in VA that you'd have to drive a little further to.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    its in the middle of nowhere....yea its near farmville...but your close to richmond! that's all i can really tell you...i've been there once or twice
  6. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmyjole View Post
    its in the middle of nowhere....yea its near farmville...but your close to richmond! that's all i can really tell you...i've been there once or twice
    Yep. You are probably a two or three hour drive from I think Raleigh, and a nearly three hour drive from Norfolk. You may be two hours from Roanoke as well.

Oh the scuba diving lake is called Lake Rawlings. It has a nice little camp ground.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank for the responses girls. I currently live in Chicago and I am very much a city girl but I knew that we were moving to a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere so I expect as much. I have no problem turning lemons into lemonade as long as I have my Jonniebaby with me. Im just trying to find out what Im getting myself into at this location. Im hoping to make nice friends there but I wonder how in such a small place.

Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.
  8. You are here.
    You are here.
    i think you have the best outlook. One good thing you won't have to deal with is traffic, like in Hampton Roads, Richmond and DC has, and the crime rate is lower. But they are all still within reasonable driving distance, so if you feel stifled by the farmland, or small town life, its within reach. I really liked Virginia, but with the crime traffic and the people in Hampton Roads, going down towards the middle of Va was a great way to just "get away".
  9. Eternity isnt enough time with him...
    Eternity isnt enough time with him...
    i dont know anything about FORT Pickett.... but my soon-to-be last name is PICKETT!! hehehe! lucky me.
    .:.God Bless.:.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meg_alane View Post
    "Its not WHERE but WHO you're with that really matters" (Dave Matthews Band)

Remember, a positive attitude can lead to a better experience!
    No not always lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast