Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: how long does it take?

  1. Fresh Newbie
    vkoro334's Avatar
    vkoro334 is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    portland ME
    Posts
    9
    #1

    how long does it take?

    Advertisements
    can somebody explain how military housing works? how long does it take after we're married for me to be able to live with him? what do we need to do paperwork wise and all? and what do we need to start out with? help!, i'm clueless
  2. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    FertileMertile.'s Avatar
    FertileMertile. is offline
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,013
    Blog Entries
    5
    #2
    Well, first of all, you need to be married. Then, when he gets his orders after he gets out of bootcamp, you put your name on the waiting list. That's basically the spark notes of it, hopefully someone can explain a little better.




  3. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,412
    #3
    You must submit the following:

    Housing application cover sheet
    Application Card
    Current Orders
    DD1746
    Copy of your Page 2 or DD93 (Red -record of emergency data)
    Current LES
    ID
    Other documents that are required if applicable:

    Medical pregnancy statement supplied by your physician. The term of pregnancy to qualify for a larger home varies from Installation to Installation.
    Sponsors who share custody of dependant children must provide proof of legal custody (final decree documents) specifically stating that the sponsor is entitled to custody for at least 9 consecutive months a year in order to have dependants considered for eligibility.
    DA 31 (Army)
    Live-in aid is approval by the HA
    Power of Attorney
    Exceptional Family Member paperwork
    At some Installations, you may be asked to sign a copy of the Privacy Act and/or Megan’s Law as a part of the application process.

    Lincoln Military Housing | Common Questions
  4. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,412
    #4
    I would say give it 2-3 months at the absolute LEAST before you will live with him. Housing availability differs everywhere, you're basically put on a waiting list.
    BUT, before you can even apply or be put on a list, you must have all the things listed above-to get those things you need your marriage license, without your marriage license you can't get anything.
    Military housing is generally a flat rate and the rent that you pay covers your utilities.
    Generally it takes all of your BAH (BASIC ALLOWANCE for HOUSING). That is the money he will receive for being married and having a dependant-to be spent on somewhere for you guys to live.
  5. Senior Member
    Saigon's Avatar
    Saigon is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16,586
    #5
    It will vary from base to base. DH and I got married 23 December, we moved into on-base housing on 31 December. But he was also set to deploy so they pushed his stuff through pretty quickly.

  6. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by vkoro334 View Post
    can somebody explain how military housing works? how long does it take after we're married for me to be able to live with him? what do we need to do paperwork wise and all? and what do we need to start out with? help!, i'm clueless
    Well if he is done with basic and school if you are married you can live with him from the get go. Now living in base housing will depend on what you need and what they have available. When I first married my DH we got base housing offered to us the next week after taking our paper in. But I knew people who had to wait almost 2 years for base housing (not even a big base and plenty of housing).

    Once you are married and you are in deers and have your ID he (or you if you have POA) can fill out the application for housing. Most places will not or can not offer you a house until at least 30 days before you need it. But they will take the application sooner than that. But as I said if there is a wait list, you turn it in, you go on the list 30 days before you need housing and than go up the list in order.
  7. Senior Member
    Saigon's Avatar
    Saigon is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16,586
    #7
    Also consider if you want to live on or off base. A lot of people can make more money living off base than on. And some people just can't stand the rigidity with living on base.

  8. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by abigail View Post
    You must submit the following:

    Housing application cover sheet
    Application Card
    Current Orders
    DD1746
    Copy of your Page 2 or DD93 (Red -record of emergency data)
    Current LES
    ID
    Other documents that are required if applicable:

    Medical pregnancy statement supplied by your physician. The term of pregnancy to qualify for a larger home varies from Installation to Installation.
    Sponsors who share custody of dependant children must provide proof of legal custody (final decree documents) specifically stating that the sponsor is entitled to custody for at least 9 consecutive months a year in order to have dependants considered for eligibility.
    DA 31 (Army)
    Live-in aid is approval by the HA
    Power of Attorney
    Exceptional Family Member paperwork
    At some Installations, you may be asked to sign a copy of the Privacy Act and/or Meganís Law as a part of the application process.

    Lincoln Military Housing | Common Questions
    Ummmm yeah that might be the requirements for where you are stationed, but I have never had to do anything remotely what you listed.

    Quote Originally Posted by abigail View Post
    Military housing is generally a flat rate and the rent that you pay covers your utilities.
    Generally it takes all of your BAH (BASIC ALLOWANCE for HOUSING). That is the money he will receive for being married and having a dependant-to be spent on somewhere for you guys to live.
    Yes, if you live in base housing they take all of your BAH and that covers all utilities, but not phone, cable or internet. And some say if you spend less than what ever their non disclosed amount a month for utilities a month they return some of your BAH back. I have never seen that though.
  9. You are here.
    Frybread's Avatar
    Frybread is offline
    You are here.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    23,977
    #9
    Getting into military housing can differ, on which lists you get on, there could be a 9 month long wait for a two bedroom or a 3 month wait for a three bedroom, and that can be complicated if you go into an area with multiple housing areas, like Hampton Roads or San Diego. But it can differ, and you may call after you're married to see what it will take on getting on the housing lists. I know some, you can fax paperwork to get on lists, and others you have to show up with paperwork before they will put you on lists. Sometimes its easier to get off base civilian housing, we've always rented, 'cept now, since we bought this house.


    Housing can help you with paperwork, but I don't think they will talk to you until after you are married and listed as a dependent on DEERS. After you're married, he may be able to pretty quickly, but now, as a fiance, no. It wouldn't to try i guess.
  10. You are here.
    Frybread's Avatar
    Frybread is offline
    You are here.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    23,977
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Ummmm yeah that might be the requirements for where you are stationed, but I have never had to do anything remotely what you listed.



    Yes, if you live in base housing they take all of your BAH and that covers all utilities, but not phone, cable or internet. And some say if you spend less than what ever their non disclosed amount a month for utilities a month they return some of your BAH back. I have never seen that though.
    I have heard rumors about that, but never seen that. Also there are housing units that don't take all BAH, but I think they really really rare.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •