Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: How long after you were married...?

  1. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,412
    #1

    Help How long after you were married...?

    Advertisements
    Did it take for these things to work out... i.e. Receiving BAH, being recognized as DH's dependant, move into military housing and what not.

    I live 6 hours from where DH is stationed, down in San Diego.
    We just got married last week () and now I'm wondering how long it will be before I am able to move down there. I won't be able to go down there until he gets his BAH and we have secured military housing, obviously.

    Just need anyone's input or what happened for your moving situation if it was simliar.

    Thank you.
  2. Lima Oscar Victor Echo
    Cav_Scout_Wife's Avatar
    Cav_Scout_Wife is offline
    Lima Oscar Victor Echo
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    606
    #2
    It took me two to three months to get BAH, of course they back pay you. I've never lived on base housing, but i'm guessing as soon as you get married your husband can put you guys on the list. You can sign up for tricare right away, just need your new ID and marriage license (i think, its been awhile since i did that) Hope that helps!

    btw CONGRATS on the marriage!!!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    His*PITA*'s Avatar
    His*PITA* is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over a rainbow
    Posts
    69,415

    #3
    I was recognized as DH's dependent 3 days after we got married once we got me into DEERS (same day) so that started my insurance and all of that. As for everything else like moving, thats going to depend on the wait list where you are stationed. BAH should kick in soon though, he just really has to stay on top of finance until it gets done.
  4. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,412
    #4
    Okay, thank you guys.

    I know it's going to take at least a month but I'm hoping no longer than 2.
  5. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by abigail View Post
    Did it take for these things to work out... i.e. Receiving BAH, being recognized as DH's dependant, move into military housing and what not.

    I live 6 hours from where DH is stationed, down in San Diego.
    We just got married last week () and now I'm wondering how long it will be before I am able to move down there. I won't be able to go down there until he gets his BAH and we have secured military housing, obviously.

    Just need anyone's input or what happened for your moving situation if it was simliar.

    Thank you.
    Bah can take as few as the next payday to show up or it can be months. Housing that just depends on the list for the type of housing you need.

    You will be recognized as his dependent in the military world as soon as you are in deers and have a military ID.
  6. San Diego native in Kansas
    lunasea's Avatar
    lunasea is offline
    San Diego native in Kansas
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    302
    #6
    We got married September 9th, went up to Sector on the 10th to get me my ID. Luckily I was already in DEERS from my time in the service, so it was a quick update of my status and last name.

    Try to go down and get an ID ASAP, so you can get enrolled in medical care as well.
  7. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,412
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by coastiewife View Post
    We got married September 9th, went up to Sector on the 10th to get me my ID. Luckily I was already in DEERS from my time in the service, so it was a quick update of my status and last name.

    Try to go down and get an ID ASAP, so you can get enrolled in medical care as well.
    Don't we have to wait until we get our marriage license before I can get enrolled in DEERS and/or get an ID?
  8. San Diego native in Kansas
    lunasea's Avatar
    lunasea is offline
    San Diego native in Kansas
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    302
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by abigail View Post
    Don't we have to wait until we get our marriage license before I can get enrolled in DEERS and/or get an ID?
    You don't have it yet? We got ours right after our ceremony! Eep, glad we got married in MI.
  9. Senior Member
    Abigail's Avatar
    Abigail is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,412
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by coastiewife View Post
    You don't have it yet? We got ours right after our ceremony! Eep, glad we got married in MI.
    No.

    They said they were going to put a rush on it, but it isn't supposed to be here until tomorrow. I then have to wait until DH comes back next weekend to give it to him so he can take it back to SD.
  10. San Diego native in Kansas
    lunasea's Avatar
    lunasea is offline
    San Diego native in Kansas
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    302
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by abigail View Post
    No.

    They said they were going to put a rush on it, but it isn't supposed to be here until tomorrow. I then have to wait until DH comes back next weekend to give it to him so he can take it back to SD.
    Man, I am grateful we didn't get married in San Diego (my home). Ugh, I'm so sorry, we had a courthouse wedding so the JOP gave us the original right then and there.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •