Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Living on Post???

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Living on Post???

Advertisements
    I am considering living on post next place we go. I'd appreciate any information on the topic. I also have some more specific questions. What are your options as to housing when you are on a waitlist? Can you lease off post? What if you can't get out of your lease when you get your house on post? Can you get out of a lease for that? Do you have to take the house you are on the wait list for? What about moving expenses? Do they reimburse you?
  2. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    This probably depends on the base. Years ago when my ex and I moved into housing, we couldn't get out of our lease just because we were offered housing--but we stayed at the top of the waiting list until our lease was up, so when we were about a month away from our lease expiring, we contacted the housing office to find out what would be available for us. Where we lived, they actually used to pay for a move into housing if you had to be waitlisted and rent a place out in town for a while, but I don't know if they do that anymore or if that was specific to that base or what. We also had the option of turning down 2 homes that were offered to us (we took the first that was offered). If we turned down a third, I think we went back to the bottom of the wait list.

And yes, if you're on the housing wait list, you will have to find a place to live in the meantime. Once you know where you're going I'm sure there is someone here who can tell you how family housing at that specific post works (or you will at least be able to contact the housing office there).
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Unless you include it in your lease a military clause will not get you out of a lease to move on base.

but with that said. I love living on base actually. Great customer service, free lawn serivce! Can leave the a/c on all i want! (biggie since it stays 100+ here during the summer!)
    Some people hate it, some people love it. I love being close to everything on base. I embrace the military life and like being around it. Some people don't.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The way DH and I see it we get around 1,700 for BH. We could rent a really, really nice house for that much or live on post. Most likely in a Duplex. I like living off post.
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I prefer to live onbase, especially with kids and knowing DH could be deployed and go tdy frequently, gives me a little sense of security and I am around people I can relate to.
    When we arrived here, there was a 3 mth wait list for housing, we were able to find a place offbase and sign a 6 mth contract, when our name got to the top of the housing list, they called us and just kept our name up the top of the list. About a month before our lease was up we went into housing and accepted a house for when our lease was up. You are not actually assigned a house until you accept it, if available you will be given 2 options for houses, if you reject both, your name will go to the bottom of the list again. With moving expenses, yes you will be reimbursed or the military can move you onbase if you haven't lived on that base before under your new orders (there are other ways around this too, but seeing as though you will be moving there married, they don't apply here).

6. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by beautiful_is_taken View Post
    The way DH and I see it we get around 1,700 for BH. We could rent a really, really nice house for that much or live on post. Most likely in a Duplex. I like living off post.
    Does that cover the rent AND utilities in a really really nice house?

Here in San Diego, even after we're married, our rent is going to be $300-400 more than our BAH--plus at least a couple hundred a month in utilities. And we don't live in a really really nice house LOL... just a single level house built in the 60s (but we like the location, our yard, the school, etc., so it's worth it to us). Clearly though we'd save a LOT of money living on base.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  7. Regular Member
    Really depends on which post you live at. Most waiting lists are not over a couple months (depending on rank too). If you do not take what they offer you you are usually put back on bottom of the list. We live on post now and really like it since we are so close to px, commisarry, mwr ect. I dont know about saving money tho. They take all our bah plus we have to pay gas and electric. Thats here at fort carson
  8. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNCheese View Post
    Unless you include it in your lease a military clause will not get you out of a lease to move on base.

but with that said. I love living on base actually. Great customer service, free lawn serivce! Can leave the a/c on all i want! (biggie since it stays 100+ here during the summer!)
    Some people hate it, some people love it. I love being close to everything on base. I embrace the military life and like being around it. Some people don't.
    ditto...and if you move from off post housing to on post housing, I think thats all on your dime.