Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: MY FIRST PCS! I NEED HELP FROM THE EXPERIENCED!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    San Antonio, Texas/ Germany come Feb 2011

Jump for Joy MY FIRST PCS! I NEED HELP FROM THE EXPERIENCED!

Advertisements
    My Husband commissions in May and his orders have him leaving for Grafenwoehr Germany FEB 2011. To me this is a lifetime but I find experienced military wives telling me this is just enough time to be ready! I read through all of the threads to get an idea of what Im looking at with this PCS and my mind is boggled! I have made sure to get power of attorney so I can handle things while he is at OBC. I have a few questions if any of you intelligent women out there have the knowledge to share...

I have heard a health screening appointment is the way to kick it all off, is this correct? My husband will be active duty starting June 12th 2010, at what point after this will I be able to do the screening? What will I need to pass the screening?

I know that an appointment with the transportation office, application for a no-fee passport, and faxing the orders to the housing office in Germany are my next steps. In what order should I do these after I have completed the health screening and been added to the orders? Is it possible to have them ship our furniture a few weeks before we leave because we will be able to stay with family?

We have a lab and I have gone through all the necessary steps to prepare him, have done necessary paperwork with the vet, and have an appointment for his certificate of health. I need to know if we handle his ticket with the transportation office at our own expense or if we must go to the airline ourselves after we find out our arrangements from the office at a later point?

If there is anything I did not ask that y'all think I should have... Throw that information in as well! Also, any tips on military life are welcome!

Thank Yall For Your Time!
    Katrina
  2. Senior Member
    Ok, screenings. I am assuming he Air Force but correct me if I am wrong. You will need a current (so I would try and have them done so that when the bases get them they are no more than 9 months old) mental, dental and physical health check up. Any issues at least dental wise that need to be taken care of will have to be taken care of before he will get his hard copy orders. If there are physical or mental health issues that Germany feels they can not handle his orders will be canceled.

Depending on the housing office (which is still probably military ran and not privatized) you can turn in your application but they can not put you on the list until 30 days before you are suppose to be in Germany. At least that is what I understand but not sure if they do it differently there which is possible.

You will be able to set up an appt with TMO (the transportation office) as soon as he has hard copies of where he is going. He won't get those until all the screenings are done and his dependent(s) are cleared to go to Germany. But once that is done you can set it up for whenever. And I do recommend at least a month before you plan to leave the states to give it time to get there. It still might not be there depending on shipping but it should be there shortly after if it isn't.

I really don't know about pets other than I know you have to make sure their certification of health has to be no more than a year old from the time they travel. So if you are leaving in late April early may I would not get it done until Jun/july/aug of this year if even that soon.

Some advice. Be calm. Things can and might go awry in the planning but that is natural. Expect the unexpected and be happy when it doesn't happen. Get a folder or binder and start keeping important paperwork (copies of it as well) in this binder. If you guys are not already military, get to your hospital and get copies of all your medical records. Keep those handy as well.
    Hope I helped you some.
    Last edited by Southern-queen; 03-28-2010 at 05:37 PM.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    San Antonio, Texas/ Germany come Feb 2011

Shocked Thank you much!

Good information southern momma! Very helpful! My husband is actually in the Army, my sister is in the Air Force and told me there are small variations. I'm starting to realize it really is about learning to stay optimistic and more than anything, having patience!

To add to my plethera of questions: my husband tells me that any forms I submit need to be typed, is this correct?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaReneeS View Post
    Good information southern momma! Very helpful! My husband is actually in the Army, my sister is in the Air Force and told me there are small variations. I'm starting to realize it really is about learning to stay optimistic and more than anything, having patience!

To add to my plethera of questions: my husband tells me that any forms I submit need to be typed, is this correct?
    Well that might be a variation but as far as I know, no. Dh and I did an overseas (AK) and I did all of the paperwork I had to do in ink.

Glad I could help, and I hope what I told you at least transfers somewhat to how the Army handles it.

Another thing...increase the time they tell you it will take to do things by 2-4 weeks. The increase might not always hold true, but often things take longer than they say it will. Especially when in involves paperwork that has to be seen and ok'ed by many people.