Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First PCS move

1. His beautiful!!
    His beautiful!!

First PCS move

Advertisements
    I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, but I hope so.

Let me give you a little info first. DB is currently deployed and he comes home in November. Then he has orders for Grafenwoehr Germany. We want to get married when he comes home. I have a 15 yr old daughter that's not his. Her biological father paased away when she was an infant.

My questions are:

Will we have enough time to get everything done when he gets home? Btw he has to be in Germany in February. What do I need to know as far as housing, getting on his orders, medical clearance, passports, and whatnot. Also will their be an issue with my daughter, since he's not her biological father.

How long is the wait for housing? Is there a list that we can put our names on to start the process before we arrive? I've been reading up on moving and I'm wondering if they will pay for my things to be moved even though I live in Chicago and DB is stationed in TX. I know they wont pay if he has already reported, but I was wondering about two moves so to speak. I'm not sure if I'm explaining all of this correctly. I'm just really nervous and excited about the whole move and I would like there to be as little frustration as possible.

Any advice, help, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, sorry it was so long.
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

The Command Sponsorship process can take up to 3 mths.
    As soon as you get married, he will have to register you and your daughter in DEERS and Tricare. Once you are in DEERS, he will have to apply for his orders to be changed from unaccompanied to accompanied, that in it's self may take a little (be prepared to play the waiting game a bit). Once the orders have been changed, you can start the CS process.
    As far as your daughter is concerned, if she is living with you, once you 2 are married, she is concidered his dependant. With getting her passport and visa and stuff, you may have to show proof that her father has passed so that they don't think you are trying to take her out of the country without permission from her father. But with taking her CS with all that, the fact that she isn't your guys will not make a difference.

Housing, depending on the base, some bases you have to wait till you get there to apply for housing, others as soon as you have orders you can be put on the wait list. You will have to call and find out (there should be a DSN number your guy can call) or check out the website for the base.

With moving and doing 2 moves, I would not move your stuff to TX before you move OCONUS, the military will not pay for it, it will be all out of pocket. but to move overseas. DH was in Japan when we got married and command sponsored. I was able to get my stuff shipped to Japan because he did not use all his allocated weight. That was in 2006 though and I know a lot of things have changed since then. My suggestion would be is for him to go and talk to TMO and find out about that part.

Hope this all helps

3. His beautiful!!
    His beautiful!!
    Thanks for your advice. Now I at least know where to begin. I will be talking to DB in a little while on Skype. So I can ask him some questions and get some more info. Again thanks!!!
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    San Antonio, Texas/ Germany come Feb 2011

I'm headed to Grafenwoehr in February 2011!

I have been very anxious to get the process started but still have only a small amount of the information I need. I can tell you what I have learned...

You and your daugter will have to do the EFMP screening before you can be placed on his orders. The time between EFMP and being placed on his orders can take a while. You have to be registered at deers and in tricare before you can make an appointment to do the screening but neither of those takes much time.

I know that the transport office told told me you are alloted a certain weight for your houshold and they can only move that weight in items from one location. They said there are extenuating circumstances such as the first reply that require approval from the soldiers commanding officer and the transportation office. I suggest trying to sell on craigslist/eBay and buying new when you get here to Texas or to Germany.

Housing office says to fax a copy of orders and housing info to them in Grafenwoer. You are placed on a list according to rank, bedrooms, and last pcs. If they don't predict you can get post housing you will be notified you have to live on economy. You will be put in temporary lodging for up to 30 days after you arrive while you look for a home.

Also, when it comes to items like washer/dryer/microwave/iron/toaster/curling iron they are useless unless you get post housing because the plugs don't support them and they can't run with decent priced transformers. You can buy these when you arrive or get dual voltage/German appliances before you leave.

I suggest getting copies of her fathers death certificate both certified and non, you will most likely need them quite often!
    That's about what I can add for now!
  5. His beautiful!!
    His beautiful!!
    Thanks, I'm Erin by the way. I'm soo excited that there is someone else going to Graf in February like us. I was thinking that I probably should get copies of the death certificate. Thanks for that. This is all sooo new to me and I'm trying to do as much as possible early on. Its the not being married yet thats the hold up. Again thanks for the info. See you over there.