Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Complicated situation! Long post...

1. Regular Member

Complicated situation! Long post...

Advertisements
    Please bear with me...this may be long! I don't post here often but I am quite a lurker. I have googled and googled and still haven't found a definite answer. Here is the situation:

My family is stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC. My husband is a corpsman and has been at the Naval Hospital for the past two years. We just received orders to Norfolk. Sounds easy huh. The problem is that he is to report to Field Medical Training in May. It is for two months and is located here at the same base we live at now.

We live on base housing and the BAH is about $350 less here than it is in Norfolk. Since his orders state a detach date in May do we move to Virginia in May or when he finishes training in July? The reason I ask is that I won't be able to see him for 2 months and would rather get settled in Virginia before school starts. Would the BAH change when we (myself and our kids) move, or when he reports in July?

I hope that wasn't TOO confusing . I have been trying to figure it out but with it being the weekend I can't call CSD to confirm and I would really like to know if I have 5 weeks to move instead of 3 months. Thanks so much in advance.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We are kind of in the same boat. DH detaches from our current base, and then goes to 3 different trainings over 4 months. We were told that we (Me and the kids) would PCS while he's gone and he would meet us at our new duty station when he's finished.

We we also told that our BAH will change when he detaches from our current base.

I hope this helps. I would still have your husband ask to be certain.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

what is the report date for the new base? If it is before he has to report for training, then his training may be pushed back, depending on the new command, if the report date is after the training, then you can stay where you are or move the the new base without him and he will follow after the training. DH leaves for training in a few weeks for 2 months too and then we PSC 2 weeks after he gets back. We could have done the training in route (so don't really have a base), I could have moved with the kids without him (a bit too much being preggo and with 3 kids), but we decided to wait till he gets back. If he has already detached from the base he is at before training, I believe BAH will go by the new base, especially if you are living in base housing.

4. Senior Member
    If he has orders to out-process from his current duty station and you have a new one than yes you can go to the new one while he is in training. The military will move you and all the rates for bah and whatever else will turn to the new duty location.
  5. Regular Member
    Thanks everyone so much for the responses

I haven't decided yet what to do...I am kinda on the fence about moving without him. But his detach date from the hospital is in May, he reports to training 2 days later and then detaches from there in July. I think technically that means that he will officially detach here in May, but grrr...I don't know for sure.

Guess a call to the finance people is in order. Thanks again ladies!