Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about move

1. Senior Member

question about move

Advertisements
    Somone brought up a question like this early but mine is a little different situation...

So im married and my dh is in the navy got orders to Norfolk but the ship he is on was already deployed when it was time for him to transfer. We decided since we really didnt have time to look for a place and i wouldnt know absolutely anyone there it would be best if i came home to stay w/ my family and when he comes back we will find a place together. So the stuff from our previous place is in storage right now but I have my stuff like my clothes and car and just other random crap that i need. So will the navy pay for my stuff to get moved to VA or will I just have to take it w/ @ my own expense?? It would be a hassle to do it thats why im curious. If anyone knows anything please help me!! Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    I am moving to Norfolk in 2011! That is exciting. I think they would pay for it since you are married but I am not sure. I know when my friend was moving to be with her husband they did.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txgirl22 View Post
    Somone brought up a question like this early but mine is a little different situation...

So im married and my dh is in the navy got orders to Norfolk but the ship he is on was already deployed when it was time for him to transfer. We decided since we really didnt have time to look for a place and i wouldnt know absolutely anyone there it would be best if i came home to stay w/ my family and when he comes back we will find a place together. So the stuff from our previous place is in storage right now but I have my stuff like my clothes and car and just other random crap that i need. So will the navy pay for my stuff to get moved to VA or will I just have to take it w/ @ my own expense?? It would be a hassle to do it thats why im curious. If anyone knows anything please help me!! Thanks
    I think it will probably be at your own expense. They will move what is in storage to his new base but whatever you moved back with you to your hometown I believe is going to be on you.

Like they would have moved you to VA and moved all the stuff/paid you to move it. But since you went somewhere else but still have stuff at his other duty station that needs to be moved they won't (most likely but I could be wrong) pick up the tab for two moves. You could move your stuff to the storage location and than they would move your stuff but my thinking is other wise no.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nursejessica52 View Post
    I am moving to Norfolk in 2011! That is exciting. I think they would pay for it since you are married but I am not sure. I know when my friend was moving to be with her husband they did.

yay!! im moving there sometime in August when my hubby gets back! Im excited! I hope i will like Virginia...
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    I think it will probably be at your own expense. They will move what is in storage to his new base but whatever you moved back with you to your hometown I believe is going to be on you.
    Thats what I figured but i guess it wouldnt hurt to ask. My dh told me today that they are giving him money for stuff like food and stuff in our apartment we had to dipose of when we moved which he said he never heard of til today but now he knows so I guess its a good thing!
  5. Senior Member
    More to say lol.....

For example, DH has a remote he is doing. The military will pay for me to move to our follow on (Langley hopefully) either now or when he gets back. But if I want to move elsewhere the move is out of our pocket. But than when it is time to move the follow one they would pay for that as long as they don't have to pay for a move of items from our current base.
  6. Senior Member
    Thats what I figured but i guess it wouldnt hurt to ask. My dh told me today that they are giving him money for stuff like food and stuff in our apartment we had to dipose of when we moved which he said he never heard of til today but now he knows so I guess its a good thing!
    Yes, he will still continue to get bah and bas for his duty location. That doesn't stop. Or at least bah doesn't.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Yes, he will still continue to get bah and bas for his duty location. That doesn't stop. Or at least bah doesn't.
    Thanks for your help im a new military spouse so im still trying to figure everything out and he really doesnt know much either!
  8. Senior Member
    Thanks for your help im a new military spouse so im still trying to figure everything out and he really doesnt know much either!
    No problem. I am an AF wife and I don't know Navy very well, so what I say is either good for all (such as how they do moves and bah) or just what I have experienced.

Let me know if I can help anymore. Been a wife for 9 years (almost) and a dependent for a crap load more.
  9. Senior Member
    You will like it! Norfolk is not too bad I love Virginia beach its so nice! I am excited that I will know of someone who is moving there! I am nervous and excited to move there!
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by nursejessica52 View Post
    You will like it! Norfolk is not too bad I love Virginia beach its so nice! I am excited that I will know of someone who is moving there! I am nervous and excited to move there!
    Just remember, during rush hour times, avoid the tunnels, parts of 64 and 264 at peak times, and the high rise bridge down near deep creek, and sometimes Bower's hill going towards Suffolk/664/64 split. Find an alternative to those areas and you should be good. Oh, 64 during summers and weekends near williamsburgh/Yorktown can get backed up due to Busch Gardens and the water park.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast