Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: OMG HOW DID THIS SNEAK UP ON US!!!!!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Shocked OMG HOW DID THIS SNEAK UP ON US!!!!!

Advertisements
    So, we are apparently moving in one month. I have no idea how this happened. Wasn't it just Christmas??? This is our first "real" military move, so I have lots of questions.

1. When do we go to TMO? I have heard the sooner the better because you have a better chance of getting movers on the dates you want. We have had movers move our stuff before, just netiher of us could be there, so we just told them whenever and they set the dates and my MIL was there to take care of it.

2. When do we go to finance? Moving our two cars, two dogs, and ourselves 14 hours away is going to be a little expensive. I have heard you can get some of the money for moving expenses, such as dislocation allowance, ahead of time, but we didn't do that last time, so I don't know how it really works.

3. My husband says we should do a partial DIY move. We have a friend who did this a few weeks ago, but all she told me was that they weighed their car, packed it up, and weighed it again. I need more info than that!

I am sure mor questions will come up between nnow and 4 weeks from now.

Any responses will be appreciated BEYOND belief.

Thanks guys!
  2. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post
    So, we are apparently moving in one month. I have no idea how this happened. Wasn't it just Christmas??? This is our first "real" military move, so I have lots of questions.

1. When do we go to TMO? I have heard the sooner the better because you have a better chance of getting movers on the dates you want. We have had movers move our stuff before, just netiher of us could be there, so we just told them whenever and they set the dates and my MIL was there to take care of it.

I think you can do it online through smartmove unless you're going to do a partial DITY move. I'm not sure if smartmove figure in DITY moves or partial DITY If you do that, your SO might have to take a moving class or have someone from Personal Property walk him through.

2. When do we go to finance? Moving our two cars, two dogs, and ourselves 14 hours away is going to be a little expensive. I have heard you can get some of the money for moving expenses, such as dislocation allowance, ahead of time, but we didn't do that last time, so I don't know how it really works.

I believe he has to do that I think at PSD. It depends on when he gets his paperwork in, the first part may come before he leaves, or while you are transit.

3. My husband says we should do a partial DIY move. We have a friend who did this a few weeks ago, but all she told me was that they weighed their car, packed it up, and weighed it again. I need more info than that!

Thats basically all you do. You get the truck or the vehicle, weight it empty, pack it out, and then reweigh it again full. Keep your receipts and both prepack weight slip and the weight slips after you pack, (it will cost you a few bucks to get it done) and then you send it in (mail) with paperwork (DITY claim) you get from PSD or Personal Property. It may take you 6-8 weeks to be reimbursed or it can take longer. Be sure to also keep your gas receipts.
    I am sure mor questions will come up between nnow and 4 weeks from now.

Any responses will be appreciated BEYOND belief.

Thanks guys!

Good luck! We just accomplished this feat in Sept/Oct of last year, and perhaps doing it again next May. And if you are Navy, they may still be backlogged. We didn't get our reimbursements from our partial DITY and the rest until about four months AFTER we moved. Other branches I think they may be up to speed.
  3. Senior Member
    He needs to get to all the offices in question as soon as possible if you move in a month. Heck, we move in approx 4 months and I am already making DH deal with this stuff.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Well, he just got his orders today, and he and the rest of his class had to go throw a freaking fit to get them. No one in his class had gotten them yet and they graduate in a week. He has to do some sort of certification here before he leaves, so we have a little extra time.

I had dinner with him tonight at work, and he told me he was going to try to get an appointment slip signed so he can go to tmo tomorrow and do whatever he can. I guess I will have him get to finance ASAP also. I am mostly just worried that it will be time to go and we won't have the money. I will have a meltdown. I can handle everything except for money problems. They stress me out BIG time.
  5. Senior Member
    Ahhh I am sorry. Didn't realize your husband was a school. In that case, just have him do as much as he can as soon as possible so that y'all are not rushing at the last moment. He should get a checklist of things that need to be done.