Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything I need to know before moving?

1. Regular Member

Anything I need to know before moving?

Advertisements
    Hey ladies, DB is taking leave and visiting me in Florida sometimes in May, and we plan on getting married. Then I plan on going back with him. He's stationed at Pearl Harbor. Is there anything that him or I have to do before hand or even what to do when we get there about getting a place? I'm assuming I'll have to stay at a hotel for a bit. But do you think the Navy will pay for my things to be shipped that soon after getting married? I'm really excited about moving and nervous at the same time. Any advice will help. Thanks
  2. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    As far as I know, the Navy won't pay for your things to be shipped, because he's already there and you weren't on his orders when he moved there--at least that's what I'm understanding?? I could be wrong though so hopefully someone else will chime in.

If they indeed won't pay for your things to be shipped, I'd move with the bare minimum. Sell furniture and that kind of thing. Just take clothes and other necessities or things that you'll never get rid of.

Good luck with everything!!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  3. Lauralicious
    Lauralicious
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    As far as I know, the Navy won't pay for your things to be shipped, because he's already there and you weren't on his orders when he moved there--at least that's what I'm understanding?? I could be wrong though so hopefully someone else will chime in.

If they indeed won't pay for your things to be shipped, I'd move with the bare minimum. Sell furniture and that kind of thing. Just take clothes and other necessities or things that you'll never get rid of.

Good luck with everything!!
    yup the navy won't pay cuz you werent originally on his orders lol i asked this question a few weeks ago and i feel like an expert now
    Distance Divas

4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Just make sure you have all your important papers with you.
    And have him ask his command if he can move out of the dorms early and into base housing it becomes availible. Or if your renting to an apartment.

Dh's command let him move out of the dorms a month early to have our place set up by the time I got there.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Senior Member
    Since the navy is different than Army and AF in regards to moving to Hawaii, just know the Navy will not move you. I am unsure if you need command sponsorship to live there as you would if you are AF or Army. But if you do, you will not get housing until you get that.

There are some smart Navy ladies that can tell you the fact for living in Hawaii. That or have your boyfriend go talk to the transportation office/people at his duty station. That would be the actual best place to start so you get the most factual information that will apply to you and him.
  6. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I'm pretty sure that the Navy will not move you since you were not on his original orders but maybe it's different since this is kind of an OCONUS location. You do need command sponsorship for them to pay you COLA or let you live in base housing here. So he needs to get you on his page 2 and work with his command on getting you sponsored as soon as he gets back. Make sure you have all necessary papers (birth certficate, social security card, original marriage certificate, driver's license or some form of state ID, I can't remember anything else).

He should talk to Personal Property, admin, and/or PSD about the particulars involved in this and if there's anything he can do ahead of time/prepare for.
  7. Regular Member
    thanks a lot everyone! I can't wait to get there. Hopefully everything works out.
  8. Senior Member
    don't forget to bring copies of your medical records from home in case you have anything ongoing and need to be seen/get prescriptions, etc. that was one big thing i forgot and it was a lot harder to get records after i left

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaStrong View Post
    at first I was like , then I was like when I saw how messed up the page it looked so then I was like *click*, *enter*, *click*, *enter*,
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by lacy+chk View Post
    don't forget to bring copies of your medical records from home in case you have anything ongoing and need to be seen/get prescriptions, etc. that was one big thing i forgot and it was a lot harder to get records after i left
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBlue505 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the Navy will not move you since you were not on his original orders but maybe it's different since this is kind of an OCONUS location. You do need command sponsorship for them to pay you COLA or let you live in base housing here. So he needs to get you on his page 2 and work with his command on getting you sponsored as soon as he gets back. Make sure you have all necessary papers (birth certficate, social security card, original marriage certificate, driver's license or some form of state ID, I can't remember anything else).

He should talk to Personal Property, admin, and/or PSD about the particulars involved in this and if there's anything he can do ahead of time/prepare for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Since the navy is different than Army and AF in regards to moving to Hawaii, just know the Navy will not move you. I am unsure if you need command sponsorship to live there as you would if you are AF or Army. But if you do, you will not get housing until you get that.

There are some smart Navy ladies that can tell you the fact for living in Hawaii. That or have your boyfriend go talk to the transportation office/people at his duty station. That would be the actual best place to start so you get the most factual information that will apply to you and him.
    Ditto....he really needs to ask before you guys get there. IDK, I hope you have a job set up when you get there, because he might need help financially since it is an expensive place to live and COLA might not kick in for a few paycycles since they have to approve you guys to receive it.
  10. Regular Member
    as far as getting a place out there. When i was there we first lived in a 2 bed 2 bath apt on the 18th floor and it was 1400/mo. It was so much cheaper just to move into base housing . All of the housing areas out there are getting redone when i left so they are pretty nice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast