Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use PODS before?

1. Senior Member

Anyone use PODS before?

Advertisements
    I will be relocating in May to Ft. Bragg to be with dh and we have weighed the options of how to best move my stuff. While I advocated utilizing the moving option that the military supplies, dh would rather not do so (he had a few friends who had horror stories, so he would rather not do so). We thought about driving a uhaul truck, however, he would have to drive it while I drove my car and we are trying to get me to North Carolina in two days max.

My parents recently mentioned that PODS might be a good option, as you would be able to load it and they would ship it to your new location and you could unpack at your own pace. We already checked with the apartment we will be moving into off post and they are ok with having a PODS in the parking lot for a couple of days.

Has anyone here utilized PODS before? Good experience or bad?
  2. Senior Member
    Dh' had a friend who used one for a move and I have seen many on different bases and they seem popular. The friend who used it had no problems at all.

But like with every moving company, problems can arise. Be it through the military (which is still not military) or one you arrange yourself.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Dh' had a friend who used one for a move and I have seen many on different bases and they seem popular. The friend who used it had no problems at all.

But like with every moving company, problems can arise. Be it through the military (which is still not military) or one you arrange yourself.
    That's good to know. There are definitely problems which can arise regardless of what one decides.

I have heard good things about PODS so that's probably what we will do. I am a little wary of the cost. I will be calling them tomorrow to get a quote and I am thinking that it will be expensive. But the more I think about it, I feel that it would cost less overall.
  4. Senior Member
    Probably about the same as hiring movers with a moving truck I would think.
  5. Senior Member
    my sister in law was going to use them but the price kept going up so just be careful....
  6. Banned
    Banned
    pods are great and are very reliable- however- they are very expensive-
    you can only use the large size to long distance move- ( it holds a small 2-3 bd home)

so for one POD you could be looking at about 35-4500 dollars. depending on distance.
  7. Regular Member
    i called to get a quote and it was expensive!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yes. They are expensive. If I were you I would utilize the military and them hiring movers for you. THEY pay for it not YOU and if anything breaks or something gets lost you just file a claim.

We had the military hire movers for us and went from San Diego to Omaha, Ne. They did very well except a few things broken and they were kinda minor.
  9. Senior Member
    Im actually moving to Ft. Bragg also!! I just got a quote for one of the PODS and it was INSANE!!!!! Id rather walk my stuff up there. But if the military can pay for it! Take it!
    Since were not married of course I have to cover costs on my own and I dont even have a lot of things for me and my boys so were taking two trucks filled with our stuff.
    Ghetto Fab!
  10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Moving from TX to NC, I think you get 4 days to move. It's a fair distance, I wouldn't push yourself. When we went from UT to VA over the summer, DH and I drove straight through just kept swapping, only stopped for toilet and food and it still took us like 2 1/2-3 days.
    Yes with the military moving you, you usually only hear the bad stories, however if anything is lost or broken you can claim it. Moving yourself you can't. PODS can be VERY expensive. We are PCSing to DE in June and are u-hauling it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast