Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Pets???

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Moving Pets???

Advertisements
    So when DH has his school in florida he'll be there for a year... and i'll be moving with him obviously... but I wonder about our dogs??

I'm pretty sure the military only covers your personal belongings.... Do we have to find out how to get our dogs from here to there?

I've been wondering about this...
  2. Senior Member
    You would have to arrange for transporting them I believe. Either flying with them or driving.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Anyone know how much it would cost to ship a dog?

I have a 70lbs black lab that would be way to hard to drive from Oregon to Florida with... I figured i'd drive my poodle but a big dog like that would be to hard to drive across country with!
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    It depends on the airlines how much it is. They go off of kennel size. It's also priced differently depending if you send them commerical or cargo. (Note some commerical airlines only have room for one kennel or none so check with the airline) It's cheaper to fly them cargo. United it says it's $250 for large kennels. If your pet is flying you'll also need to get a health certificate for them 30 days before you leave and make sure they have had some shots if required. It can be a pain but in my opinion for a cute pup it's worth it! Good luck!!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by loribeth View Post
    It depends on the airlines how much it is. They go off of kennel size. It's also priced differently depending if you send them commerical or cargo. (Note some commerical airlines only have room for one kennel or none so check with the airline) It's cheaper to fly them cargo. United it says it's $250 for large kennels. If your pet is flying you'll also need to get a health certificate for them 30 days before you leave and make sure they have had some shots if required. It can be a pain but in my opinion for a cute pup it's worth it! Good luck!!
    Thank you for your info... Yeah i'd never give my dog up!!! He is my baby!!!

I'm just trying to figure out how i'm going to get him from here to there... what would be the best way... I just think it'd be to hard to drive him since he is still a pup and all... he will be closer to two years by the time we get stationed there but still big dogs need lots of leg room... my little pup she just lays around all the time! I think she'd be easier to handle!
  6. Senior Member
    What kinda of vehicle are you driving in? Honestly I would drive both but that is because I have heard stories about dogs getting lost, dying etc on flights where they are sent cargo.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    What kinda of vehicle are you driving in? Honestly I would drive both but that is because I have heard stories about dogs getting lost, dying etc on flights where they are sent cargo.
    SAD!! I have a ford focus.

We will be shipping our truck since it doesnt get good gas mileage
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I've driven my 75 lb golden doodle cross country a few times, you'd be surprised how well they do. He was only 7 months the first time we did it. If you give him some chew toys and let him run around when you get gas he should be fine. Just make sure you look into hotels that accept dogs along the way, there are many that won't take 2 dogs or big dogs.

Also...My vet gave me some sleepy pills for him before we left. I never had to use them but that may be something you could try.

Are you PCSing to Eglin? That's where we are now.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    you would be surprised at how they do- we drove cross country with 2 crazy cats and they did fine. I would do what I needed to have them with me and not put them thru the stress of flying if there was a choice.
  10. Senior Member
    We drove 12 hours in 1 day from Texas to Alabama when Zeus our lab mix was 7 months old. He was really good. We stopped every 3 hours to let him potty and give him water. I had a small sedan at the time, and put one of those collapsible kennels that are made out of fabric in the back seat with a dog bed in it so he was cozy but contained.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast