Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How does it work??

1. It is what it is....
    It is what it is....

How does it work??

Advertisements
    I have a pretty general question...ok questions! When my husband is done doing his AIT training, how do we know where he will get stationed at for a post? Does he come home after AIT for a while and then we move to that post together, or does he go to the post right after AIT and then I have to move down later? I keep reading about command sponsorship....is that just outside the US? Where do you live if you have a wait list for on post housing, but want to live on post (when one opens)?

I apologize...I am very new to all of this and I don't feel like asking the recruiter another question!!!

Thanks in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    My DF found out where he was being stationed while in A.I.T. He didn't get a break between A.I.T bc he had airborne school next but some of the guys did.....

I'm sorry I'm not much help =/
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSL8809 View Post
    I have a pretty general question...ok questions! When my husband is done doing his AIT training, how do we know where he will get stationed at for a post? Does he come home after AIT for a while and then we move to that post together, or does he go to the post right after AIT and then I have to move down later? I keep reading about command sponsorship....is that just outside the US? Where do you live if you have a wait list for on post housing, but want to live on post (when one opens)?

I apologize...I am very new to all of this and I don't feel like asking the recruiter another question!!!

Thanks in advance!
    Command sponsorship is for overseas bases. BUT in the military world, Alaska and Hawaii are considered overseas so to live over there you have to be command sponsored as well.

Most people find out during AIT where they will go for their first base. As long as you are on his paper work (page 2 I believe it is) before the orders come than you will be also included in the move. I can't say for sure if he will get time to get home or not so you might have to do the move yourself. That has been different for different people but your husband will get that information later once he get actual orders.

If there is no housing available on base and you want to live on base you will go on the wait list and than you wait. You will be responsible for finding a place and all the bills for said place until your name comes up on the housing list. And depending on the base that can be 1 days or 18 months. I believe average is 3-6 but longer and shorter are not unheard of.
  4. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSL8809 View Post

Thanks in advance!
    That can really depend on if he's a grad and go or if he's got a few days between his graduation date and his report date.

On post housing, if there's a waiting list, then you have to find something out in town to live in with a flexible rental lease. Some apartment complexes are good, since some do have a six month lease. I know our old one didn't have it, but the other two down the street had them available.
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    My DH was able to come home and pack up his room to have shipped down to him. But every branch is different I guess
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Regular Member
    My brother was in C school (Sea-bees) and found out right before he got out of it, maybe like 2 weeks before. Then he came home for his liberty leave then they had to move to Mississippi a week later.
    Hope this helps
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNCheese View Post
    My DH was able to come home and pack up his room to have shipped down to him. But every branch is different I guess
    Actually every graduation class can be different. I have known people within the same branch where someone graduating tech could go home for a bit, and than others who have had to go straight to their first duty station.
  8. Senior Member
    My DH came home for 2 weeks and did the recruiter's assisting program (RAP duty)... He had to help the recruiter during the day, but had his evenings free, and it didn't use any of his leave. Then he got 8(?) house hunting days to find a place to live off base, and then he reported to his duty station.