Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFMP and PCS Q's

1. Senior Member

EFMP and PCS Q's

Advertisements
    I'm not really sure what the benefits are to the EFMP program, but hopefully someone here can help me. I'm currently in the process of being diagnosed with a very rare muscle disease. The only thing currently stopping the official diagnosis, are the results of a muscle biopsy just to be sure it's not one of the motor neuron diseases. It causes muscular atrophy, weakness, pain, and also attacks the blood vessels, among many other things, but those are the "big ones" I guess you could say. I'm progressing fairly quickly and the pain and weakness is unbearable with obvious muscle wasting in my limbs. My husband is in AIT right now, due to graduate soon, and then he's going to Airborne, and then RIP. I just don't see any possible way of moving with him at this time, since I can barely take care of myself, let alone my daughter on my own. My Mom has her as often as she can and helps me as often as she can, but it's getting worse and I can't do this on my own. With deployments and training, etc I'm just not going to be able to do it. I know they obviously can't force me to go or anything, but if I don't, I understand it's basically tough shit as far as BAH and everything goes. We would never be able to afford living separately if the BAH is used for him there. Is there any sort of exception for situations like this in the EFMP like a GEO bachelor thing, but I'm not too sure how that works either?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He can GEO Bach. That is what we are doing( my son is in the EFMP program). Because we can not afford to pay for an apt for him and our mortgage.

Other than that there are no exceptions for being EFMP.
  3. Senior Member
    I believe the BAH rate will be for where HE is not for where you are. And if he can live in the barracks will be up to his command. And than even if he is given a room, it can be taken away for the single troops that need a room.

As for exceptions I doubt there are any, but again he would have to talk to his command once he gets to his duty station.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    yes, there is an exception. let me find it and see if it will apply to you.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    it is not specific to EMFP- however the verbage is clear that for extenuation reasons the member can request a BAH location change - a waiver

here is the list of reasons they will change and at the bottom the explainantion about the waiver;

5. Examples of Location Rate Changes Routinely Authorized/Approved
    : The member is:
    a. Assigned to a PDS in an area at which sufficient housing quantities do not exist;
    b. Assigned to unusually arduous sea duty and the dependents reside at or relocate to a designated place in
    the U.S.;
    c. Assigned or is in receipt of a PCS authorization/order to a ship entering overhaul involving a home port
    change and dependents are not relocated incident to the home port change;
    d. In receipt of a PCS authorization/order to a unit with a promulgated change of home port and
    dependents relocate to the announced home port (or designated place in the U.S. if appropriate) before the
    effective date of the home port change;
    e. Disadvantaged as a result of reassignment for reasons of improving mission capability and readiness of
    the unit, in receipt of a PCS authorization/order between PDSs located in the same proximity, and
    disallowed HHG movement. See par. U5355. The Secretarial Process must issue a determination that a
    decision to implement this policy is in the interest of correcting an inequity incurred due to movement of
    the individual for purposes of improving mission capability and unit readiness;
    f. Assigned to ITDY, or TDY pending further orders; or
    g. Assigned to a Professional Military Education (PME) or training course that is scheduled for a duration
    of one year or less.
    6. Other Circumstances. The Secretary Concerned may determine that circumstances, not listed in pars.
    U10402-B5a through U10402-B5g, require the dependent(s) to reside separately and authorize/approve a
    housing allowance payment based on either the dependent’s location or the old PDS. The Secretary Concerned
    may determine an additional reason for a BAH waiver is acceptable and the Secretarial Process may then be
    used to authorize/approve individual cases based on that determination

adding in that no matter what if he gets stationed stateside, he will not get 2 BAH's he will only get one, the above is only to keep the BAH at your location not his.
  6. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    I believe the BAH rate will be for where HE is not for where you are. And if he can live in the barracks will be up to his command. And than even if he is given a room, it can be taken away for the single troops that need a room.

As for exceptions I doubt there are any, but again he would have to talk to his command once he gets to his duty station.
    Quote Originally Posted by froglove View Post
    He can GEO Bach. That is what we are doing( my son is in the EFMP program). Because we can not afford to pay for an apt for him and our mortgage.

Other than that there are no exceptions for being EFMP.
    I agree.
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

So you have something similar to muscular distrophy, or is it more complex?The only thing I could think of is if he tries to get humanitarian orders so he can be with you. EFMP is set up so that you can't be sent anywhere where there is no care for you, he can still go geobach though, however if there is no-one to help you take care of your daughter, humanitatian would be the best thing to do. With EFMP your bases become more limited as medical care must be within 50 miles.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    So you have something similar to muscular distrophy, or is it more complex?The only thing I could think of is if he tries to get humanitarian orders so he can be with you. EFMP is set up so that you can't be sent anywhere where there is no care for you, he can still go geobach though, however if there is no-one to help you take care of your daughter, humanitatian would be the best thing to do. With EFMP your bases become more limited as medical care must be within 50 miles.
    Yes i agree. I would look into those orders. Jacob is category 5 in the efmp program. We could not go oveeseas and there are only five bases we could go to.

Like sandy said look into those orders.

Oh sandy can you elaborate on those type of orders. I am curious to know more
  9. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

It's under EFMP here Humanitarian Assignments

10. Senior Member
    That is what I was thinking of when I was posting last night but didn't say it because the word was not coming to my head lol.

My dad got a humanitarian PCS at one point in his career. They even cross trained him and everything so that he could do this.

Keep your head up OP. And just have your husband talk to his command when he can.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast