Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAF Lakenheath (just wanna do it right the first time)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused RAF Lakenheath (just wanna do it right the first time)

Advertisements
    HI!

WELL MY HUSBAND AND I ARE GOING TO RAF LAKENHEATH AND ABOUT A MONTH AGO I HAD NO CLUE AT ALL TO HOW MILITARY FAMILIES MOVED. THIS IS OUR FIRST PCS AND I JUST WANT TO DO IT RIGHT AND KINDA HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT TO EXPECT. I LEARNED A LOT BY READING BLOGS AND THE RAF LAKENHEATH OFFICIAL SITE. I STILL HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS THOUGH BECAUSE I KNOW ITS HARD FOR OUR SPONSORS TO GET BACK TO US AND I HAVN'T GOTTEN A RESPONSE IN A FEW WEEKS FROM HIM. HOPING YOU GUYS COULD HELP . IVE BEEN RESEARCHING HOUSING AND IVE KIND OF DECIDED TO WAIT ON NEW BASE HOUSING BUT MY QUESTION IS....WHAT DO WE DO IN THE MEAN TIME? HOW DO WE SIGN A LEASE SOME WHERE ELSE IF WE ARE WAITING FOR BASE HOUSING? WE ARE GOING TO BE FREE TO MOVE IN TO BASE HOUSING AND WE WILL HAVE TO FINISH UP OUR LEASE IN THE PLACE WERE AT JUST BECAUSE WE ARE WAITING FOR BASE HOUSING? ALSO WHERES A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE OFF BASE, IVE BEEN LOOKING AROUND AND I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO FIT IN THESE TINY LITTLE HOUSES... I MEAN I HAVE A SECTIONAL AND A KING BED....AND I HAVE TO BRING THEM , I HAVE NO WHERE TO STORE THEM, PLUS OF COURSE ID RATHER NOT HAVE TO STORE THEM. ALSO WHATS THE DEAL WITH TVS? OUR TVS NOT GOING TO WORK? AND WE JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW BIG TV

ON ANOTHER SUBJECT: VISA AND PASSPORT. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOU GUYS TO GET YOUR PASSPORTS AND VISAS? YOU SEE IM WAITING ON ORDERS, I WILL HAVE MY MEDICAL/ DENTAL CLEARANCE BY MARCH 16TH, MY HUSBANDS AT A SIMULATED WAR KIND OF CAMP SO HE W0NT BE ABLE TO GET HIS DENTAL CLEARANCE TILL THE 24TH ( HES SUPPOSED TO BE COMING HOME ON THE 8TH OF APRIL BY THE WAY) HES ALREADY GOT HIS MEDICAL CLEARANCE...SO IM GEUSSING ILL HAVE ORDERS BY THE END OF THE MONTH. ONCE I GET THEM IM GOING STRAIGHT TO GET MY PASSPORT. WHEN DO YOU EXPECT ILL GET IT? AND WITH THE VISA I KNOW I HAVE TO HAVE MY PASSPORT TO GET MY VISA.... HOW LONG WILL THAT TAKE TO GET? I WAS THINKING I DON'T WANT TO BE STUCK HERE WHILE MY HUSBANDS OVER THERE SEEING EVERYTHING. IS IT POSSIBLE TO JUST PAY FOR MY OWN PASSPORT SO I DON'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR EVERYTHING, IF I DO THAT I MIGHT EVEN GET TO GO AT THE SAME TIME AS HIM, OR DOES IT HAVE TO ME A MILITARY PASSPORT?

ALSO ANY EXTRA EXPENSE YOU GUYS WERN'T EXPECTING?

ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT RAF LAKENHEATH WOULD BE A GREAT HELP. PLEASE TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU GUYS WISH YOU HAD KNOWN.

THANX SO MUCH
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

First suggestion, dont type in all caps, makes your posts really hard to read...
  3. Senior Member

WOW! That is a lot of questions...first off...the wait for the "new" housing on Lakenheath
    is over two years. We didn't live off base but people that did would have a military clause in their agreement that would allow them to move.

Let's see...the TV has to be dual voltage...the same thing happened to us. Bought a new one that wasn't...had to buy a new one there.

When is your report date?

STORAGE!!!! Any items that are too large to bring or not needed like your washer and dryer the MILITARY will pay to store them. We had a huge curio cabinet...washer and dryer...tons of crap. We actually had 3 packouts....the main one...unaccompained baggage and lastly anything you want put in storage.) I don't know about bringing the King size bed...we had a queen and it took up the ENTIRE bedroom.
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

First Welcome, when you get a chance, please introduce yourself in the newbies section.

I am finding you thread hard to read, the caps make it seem like you are shouting.
    As far as housing is concerned, it is usually offered to people in stages (even new housing) people moving out of old housing so it can be renovated or torn down to make new housing will get first preference, then people just arriving at the base, then people who want to move onbase, so if you decide to wait for new housing it could take quite a while. If you decide to live offbase first, yes you will have to honor the entire contract or pay out of pocket to break it. A lot of leases do have a military clause that if the service member is deployed or gets orders elsewhere, you can break the lease with out having to pay a fee.

A lot of Overseas bases do have a loan center that you can borrow furniture from, some is short term and some is long term. What you don't ship, the military will put in storage for you. Onbase all appliance should work as onbase housing has US outlets (you just have to check the voltage), if you live offbase you will need to get a converter and then it should work.

Once you get your orders you can get your medical clearace done and then go apply for the passport, it can take a few weeks to get that back and once you have your no-fee passport you can go and get your visa. Depending on the demand and how quick things are done, it could be a few weeks or a few months till everything is finialized. You can pay for your own passport, however I believe that the military bought it in about a year or so ago that you need to have a no-fee passport to travel on orders reguardless, I could be wrong on that, but I believe that is the rule now.

5. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    The wait for the new housing (Liberty Village) is a two year wait. You will either have the choice to accept base housing, for example Lords Walk....Or find a house off base. Use UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent it lists all the houses to rent in the area. The base post code is IP27 9BN so you can decide how far from Lakenheath you want to live. There are some decent housing on Feltwell base that people have said are good size with good amount of closet space, but not all of them are like that.

If you have any questions, let me know. I grew up in the area and my husband is stationed on Lakenheath. We live off base and have plenty of room in our house, it is just the two of us.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Ok, well I guess I wont be waiting for new housing after all if it takes that long. I think our tour is only 3 years. My husbands report date is May 30th I think but he will be arriving at the beginning of May. Thanks for the info on the TV and storage. I think Ill still bring our new TV. My husband plays a lot of video games, Ive been told we can still use it for that.

About the housing, how is the old housing? Ive heard its not that great and anyway just because it says base housing doesn't mean its on base. I heard it can be up to 45 miles away. I'm not very particular I just want to be able to fit with out storing to much stuff. I only have a small apartment worth of stuff anyways. Or would it be best just to go for off base housing and if I do should I wait till we actually get there to look or would it be good to get something secured prior to getting there?

Sorry for the caps by the way. OH and all the questions. I'm brand new to this.
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

we are moving to RAF mildenhall this summer. (august) We are hoping to get into RAF Feltwell housing. I've been told that its second nicest and only like 15 minutes from the bases. But the base is quiet and only have a vet, middle school, shoppette, and a few odds and ends.
    I don't have many answers other then that. I know they won't let me get my medical clearnce done till after I'm pregnant. which majorly sucks. but oh well means I will ony have 7 weeks to get everything done. Including packing.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    oh and lords walk is the crappy off base, base housing that gets broken into and all sorts of other crap. Thats the housing we are trying to avoid.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    Quote Originally Posted by *Mackenzie* View Post
    oh and lords walk is the crappy off base, base housing that gets broken into and all sorts of other crap. Thats the housing we are trying to avoid.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    So what about visas? Does anyone know anything bout that. I was told that after we do our clearance we will get our orders and then Ill be able to put in for my passport and that will take like 6 weeks. Will I have to wait another 6 weeks or something like that for my visa or is that something you can get right away? And Mackenzie have you heard a likeliness percentage of you guys getting in to RAF Feltwell housing?

Thanx for the info on Lords Walk.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast