Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First PCS...a few questions

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

First PCS...a few questions

Advertisements
    I'm hoping some of you PCSing vets may be able to answer a few questions for me....

We've moved before to be with DH during his trainings, but this is our first PCS. DH will graduate from school in a few months (his school was really long!) After graduation he will go to 3 different places for short trainings, and then will report to his new command. He told me that we (me and and kids) will PCS while he's gone for those short trainings. BTW, he already has his PCS orders.

My questions are...
    Has anyone ever done this before? (PCSing while their spouse is gone)
    Do I get to pick the date we move or will the base tell me when to move?
    Do I have to wait until housing has a housing for us before they will move us?

Sorry for the novel! The housing office here hasn't been any help!
    TIA
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

If you already have hardcopy orders, I would suggest getting in touch with housing at the base you are PCSing too, also get a copy of the housing application form and fax it to them. Your DH should go into TMO before he leaves to organize the movers and everything. If you arrive at your new base/post before there is a house ready, you m ay want to look into renting offbase. Your household items will be held in storage until you have a place to live. I haven't PCS'd without DH but know people who do it alot, especially when their spouses are on Overseas Unacompanied orders

3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    I'm hoping some of you PCSing vets may be able to answer a few questions for me....

We've moved before to be with DH during his trainings, but this is our first PCS. DH will graduate from school in a few months (his school was really long!) After graduation he will go to 3 different places for short trainings, and then will report to his new command. He told me that we (me and and kids) will PCS while he's gone for those short trainings. BTW, he already has his PCS orders.

My questions are...
    Has anyone ever done this before? (PCSing while their spouse is gone)
    Do I get to pick the date we move or will the base tell me when to move?
    Do I have to wait until housing has a housing for us before they will move us?

Sorry for the novel! The housing office here hasn't been any help!
    TIA
    yes, I did it in 2003- Dh was in the gulf and I and our DD moved from Miami to Kodiak AK.

yes, you can pick, but you need to do this early to ensure the dates you want are avail, you will need to have your DH take care of this unless you have a POA, you will need a POA if you are going to sign for the HHGs when they come pack out .

no, if housing is not avail you will have to find an apt on your own, you can call the housing office to find out what the current wait time is and if you can get on the list now or if you have to wait.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thank you for the advice! We are going to go in sometime this week and try to set up a date. It's so hard to get info around here. We are at an Air Force Base, but we are Navy. And people keep telling us that we need to talk to the closest Navy base. I would like to wait until at least mid summer, since I'm set to be induced very early in June.

Does anyone know if there are any rules about how soon after giving birth you can move?

Thanks again!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    Thank you for the advice! We are going to go in sometime this week and try to set up a date. It's so hard to get info around here. We are at an Air Force Base, but we are Navy. And people keep telling us that we need to talk to the closest Navy base. I would like to wait until at least mid summer, since I'm set to be induced very early in June.

Does anyone know if there are any rules about how soon after giving birth you can move?

Thanks again!
    They probably tell you that because in some instances the navy does things differently than other branches and the AF can really only tell you what they know for AF (and sometimes they can't even tell you that because they are clueless lol).

As for rule for moving after birth. As far as I know there is no rule. I would guess just the ok from the dr for you and the child would be best but again I have no idea.

Good luck. I personally won't move without DH here but that is me.