Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Giving birth in Korea

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Question Giving birth in Korea

Advertisements
    Hey guys, I looked around and didn't really find a good place to ask this question except here since you all were discussing Korea. My husband will be leaving June 1 for Osan AB. He is Air Force E-6 and we have submitted our command sponsorship request last week. (we took a while to get it done) and I just hope we will hear back before June. They said it takes about 2 weeks to hear something. We were told that there were going to be 1000 openings between Dec 09 and June 10 for CS. We just don't know if we waited to long to submit our package. Anyway, we will still be going even if we don't get approved.

My MAIN question though, is that I just found out that I am pregnant yesterday, so that means I will be delivering the baby in Korea. My question is that if we don't get CS, does that mean the Air Force (government) won't pay for my birth? And will I have to deliver off base like at a korean hospital? I've heard horror stories about births in Korea.
  2. Senior Member
    If you live in Osan, it shouldn't be hard at all to get into the 121 hospital in Seoul which is on post in Yongsan. If you can go there, DO IT! You don't have to be command sponsored to go to the military hospital on post. You also do not have to be command sponsored to use Tricare overseas if you do decide to go off post. I was not command sponsored for 8 of 9 months that I was pregnant and in Korea.

I delivered my daughter off post because we lived too far away from Yongsan, and it was an awful experience. I won't go into details, but it was traumatic, humiliating, just terrible. We also had to pay $1,000 out of pocket for that wretched experience.
    Cori Aletta______ Avery William

09.23.09_________06.13.11
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Sorry to butt into this post but could you tell me more about your experience. We are at Camp Casey and my OB said more then likely I will have to deliver at a Korean hospital bc the baby is measuring alot smaller on the ultrasound then what the original due date is. So without a for sure due date 121 probably wont take me. I am scared to death to give birth in a Korean hospital and considerig going back to the states but it will cost all of our savings to send me and my daughter back to the states then fly back here plus the flight for my husband to come back for the birth.

Quote Originally Posted by mbcclady View Post
    If you live in Osan, it shouldn't be hard at all to get into the 121 hospital in Seoul which is on post in Yongsan. If you can go there, DO IT! You don't have to be command sponsored to go to the military hospital on post. You also do not have to be command sponsored to use Tricare overseas if you do decide to go off post. I was not command sponsored for 8 of 9 months that I was pregnant and in Korea.

I delivered my daughter off post because we lived too far away from Yongsan, and it was an awful experience. I won't go into details, but it was traumatic, humiliating, just terrible. We also had to pay $1,000 out of pocket for that wretched experience.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

OK, wow. I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience. But I'm so glad I shouldn't have to go through that myself. Thank you for your response!!
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I had a friend who delivered in Korea and said she was refused all pain medication and if she had the money, she would have flown home and delivered the baby with out her husband there, just so she wouln't have to go through all that.

OP our enlisted spouses VP here put in their CP packet over well over a month ago for Korea and they were told 3 weeks later that they were on the "wait list", her husband is due to report mid June. Just remember if you are not CP'd and go over, it can be very costly as you will have to pay out of pocket for visa's, plane tickets, OB visits and l&d if you decide to deliver there. Though tricare will cover you as an patient not in their registered area, they will cover, but their will more than likely be co-pays. I wouls suggest to do lots of research, call tricare and find out what the boundaries are, etc.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilrebelbabe View Post
    Sorry to butt into this post but could you tell me more about your experience. We are at Camp Casey and my OB said more then likely I will have to deliver at a Korean hospital bc the baby is measuring alot smaller on the ultrasound then what the original due date is. So without a for sure due date 121 probably wont take me. I am scared to death to give birth in a Korean hospital and considerig going back to the states but it will cost all of our savings to send me and my daughter back to the states then fly back here plus the flight for my husband to come back for the birth.
    Honestly, it was super important for me to have my husband there. HOWEVER, if I knew my options were to deliver in Korea or fly home and deliver without him... I'd deliver without him in a heartbeat. Everything that I specifically requested not be done, my doctor did to me. I requested absolutely no episiotomy (TMI: I was cut from vagina to anus), I requested no vacuum extraction, which he did. I requested that I be allowed to move as a I wished throughout labor. He forced me to stay flat on my back with a fetal monitor, which became so painful that I couldn't deliver drug-free. When I told the doctor that he would either have to let me get up and move around or give me an epidural, he refused to give me an epidural until hours later. When given the epidural (two doses), it still didn't work. A Korean nurse (didn't speak English) came in to (I THOUGHT) check me for dilation. When she was down there NOT checking for dilation, she ended up giving me an enema with NO warning. It scared the hell out of me, and I certainly did NOT want one. Once my daughter was born and was laid on my chest, I went to touch her beautiful face and the doctor literally screamed at me, "NO TOUCHING!" I started crying from being so overwhelmed with emotion and the doctor sighed, rolled his eyes, and said "oh don't start your crying, I still have to sew you up." It was just awful. Never, ever in my life would I put myself through that or anything similar ever again.

I know it's a tough choice to decide whether to have your husband there or not, and I'm sure many people have just fine experiences in Korea, but there is no way, no how I'd do it again. My husband could always have seen videos and pictures, but I was totally stripped of any dignity, and was humiliated and violated.
    Cori Aletta______ Avery William

09.23.09_________06.13.11
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, it was super important for me to have my husband there. HOWEVER, if I knew my options were to deliver in Korea or fly home and deliver without him... I'd deliver without him in a heartbeat. Everything that I specifically requested not be done, my doctor did to me. I requested absolutely no episiotomy (TMI: I was cut from vagina to anus), I requested no vacuum extraction, which he did. I requested that I be allowed to move as a I wished throughout labor. He forced me to stay flat on my back with a fetal monitor, which became so painful that I couldn't deliver drug-free. When I told the doctor that he would either have to let me get up and move around or give me an epidural, he refused to give me an epidural until hours later. When given the epidural (two doses), it still didn't work. A Korean nurse (didn't speak English) came in to (I THOUGHT) check me for dilation. When she was down there NOT checking for dilation, she ended up giving me an enema with NO warning. It scared the hell out of me, and I certainly did NOT want one. Once my daughter was born and was laid on my chest, I went to touch her beautiful face and the doctor literally screamed at me, "NO TOUCHING!" I started crying from being so overwhelmed with emotion and the doctor sighed, rolled his eyes, and said "oh don't start your crying, I still have to sew you up." It was just awful. Never, ever in my life would I put myself through that or anything similar ever again.

I know it's a tough choice to decide whether to have your husband there or not, and I'm sure many people have just fine experiences in Korea, but there is no way, no how I'd do it again. My husband could always have seen videos and pictures, but I was totally stripped of any dignity, and was humiliated and violated.
    thats so horrible and im so sorry that happened to you! this is exactly why im going home in 2 weeks to avoid this because ive heard stories just like this from ladies on post. if you go into delievery early or your baby is too small they wont take you at 121 because they consider it an "emergency". ive been advised to leave the country at 6 months pregnant which im doing. DH will be home in June and baby isnt due til July but im glad im going home.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hi CJ827,

I also found out I am preg in March and I'm due Nov 1st. My husband just landed an engineering job related to the military base move involving Yongsan. My husband is there (seoul, Korea) already I will be going the end of July. I too have been nervous about having a baby there but it sounds like the 121 is the best option with anjou or samsung med center as a second choice at they speak more english. what have you decided to do? are you there already?? I really hope to hear from you! Candy
  9. Regular Member
    OP FYI we have been on the list since last year Oct and have net received word on our CS. They say it takes a while since they have filled up all the billet. We have decided just to move to our follow on after since its taking this long and the base is pretty busy with all the exercises. Maybe you'll be lucky and get a billet soon. Good luck!
  10. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    At Osan, you will have your baby up at the 121st at Yongsan. You will most likely go up there a week or so before your due date and everything should go fine.

In the off chance that you have an emergency delivery, the local hospital near Osan AB is a good one.