Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pets and Japan

1. Junior Member

Pets and Japan

Advertisements
    If we wanted to move to Japan (assuming we had the orders) then would it be better for us to send our dog to my parents in England, wait 180 days and have my mum bring him over? I have read that since the UK is a rabbies free country that pets are in quarantine for 12 hours or less! We have no one in the USA to look after him so it would either mean giving him up (not gonna happen) or having him sit in quarantine for 6 months in japan (very costly and he would be very unhappy) ... so does this sound doable (sp)?
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

depending on what base you go to in Japan will determine quaranteen. When I was in Okinawa, a lot of my friends took their animals and all they had to do was make sure their shots were up to date (I believe there was like 3-6 mths of blood tests too) and then they were IN HOUSE quaranteened for 30 days (they could go out to the toilet and that was it). Also I would double check on the rabies free quaranteen, Australia is a Rabies free country too, however if animals are comming in from a country that does have rabies, the quaranteen can be up to 6 mths.

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    If we wanted to move to Japan (assuming we had the orders) then would it be better for us to send our dog to my parents in England, wait 180 days and have my mum bring him over? I have read that since the UK is a rabbies free country that pets are in quarantine for 12 hours or less! We have no one in the USA to look after him so it would either mean giving him up (not gonna happen) or having him sit in quarantine for 6 months in japan (very costly and he would be very unhappy) ... so does this sound doable (sp)?
    That probably goes for animals coming from England not going into England. So your animal would have to be quarantined going into England but possibly not from England to Japan.
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    for us taking our dogs to england we are going to have to either quarantin them for 6 months or do the in home quarantin for 6 months.
    So either way your gunna have to quarantine him.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Mackenzie* View Post
    for us taking our dogs to england we are going to have to either quarantin them for 6 months or do the in home quarantin for 6 months.
    So either way your gunna have to quarantine him.
    That is not true .. in regards to bringing pets to the UK. There is the 'pets program' which required rabies, micro chipping and blood work and once you receive the certificate then the pet will not have to go through quarantine in the UK at all .. trust me, I've studies this process alot because I will have to take my dog to England with me if my husband gets deployed at anytime (I dont wanna be stuck here by myself! lol)
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    the blood work and in home quaratin is what I was saying you would have to do which is 6 months.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    That is not true .. in regards to bringing pets to the UK. There is the 'pets program' which required rabies, micro chipping and blood work and once you receive the certificate then the pet will not have to go through quarantine in the UK at all .. trust me, I've studies this process alot because I will have to take my dog to England with me if my husband gets deployed at anytime (I dont wanna be stuck here by myself! lol)
    They may not have to go through quaranteen as in stay at a quaranteen kennel, however you will more than likely have to in house quaranteen, which means you can only take them out to go to the toilet or the vet, the rest of the time, they have to be in the house

8. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    my sister took her 2 dogs to japan, buit i cant remember how long the quarantine was. sorry im not much help..i'll try and find out for you.
  9. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Here is your answer about Quaranteen in Japan taken from How to import your dog to Japan or other non-rabid islands | eHow.com

Step 5From the day of the rabies titre test you must wait 180 days or your animal to be safe from having to be Quarantined in Japan. If you move before the 180 day period your animal must be in quarantined. If you are military your animal can be quarantined on base, otherwise you must make arrangements with the Animal Quarantine Service to have the animal quarantined within one of the designated Quarantine facilities. Quarantine is to be paid by the owner and runs about 30 dollars a day at facilities where caretakers are present. In other facilities where caretakers are not present the OWNER is responsible for the daily care of the animal.

10. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    They may not have to go through quaranteen as in stay at a quaranteen kennel, however you will more than likely have to in house quaranteen, which means you can only take them out to go to the toilet or the vet, the rest of the time, they have to be in the house
    Oh well .. not that it really matter with our dog anyway .. he's a house dog to the extreme!! He doesnt like going outside! lol!

Ok, well i was just checking my options if we were in the situation and the options are still 100% better in he goes to England 1st .. at least it would give us time to find a place that can house a little dog and as I said, we have noone in the States that could look after him (and now i've got my mum and grandma fighting over who will look after him if he comes to England - they both want him!!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast