Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can haz answers plz?

1. Senior Member

I can haz answers plz?

Advertisements
    Ok, so DH and I just got married. I am trying to tie up loose ends here in MA before I join him in NY. I can't figure out if the MSRRA will apply to me because we've got different states where we claim residency (he is CA, I am MA). Also, I didn't PCS with him, since we got married after he reported to Fort Drum.
    Confused yet? Because I sure am...

I got all my SS/name change stuff taken care of this morning, but I'm debating if I should go to the DMV here or just wait and apply for a NY license. Personally, I'd rather keep my car registered here, etc, but again...

ALSO, I won't have my new SS card for about a week or so. Will DH be able to enroll me in DEERS, etc with the paper they gave me and my other info (marriage license, birth certificate, etc)? Gosh, I feel like such a n00b.

Quote Originally Posted by mandizzle View Post
    Please don't piss on my shoes. They'll get all sticky and junk
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

If I'm not mistaken, the only way that MSRRA will apply to you is if you claim the same state of residency that your dh does. If you don't claim his, in most cases, you must claim the state that you live in.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowCrystal View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the only way that MSRRA will apply to you is if you claim the same state of residency that your dh does. If you don't claim his, in most cases, you must claim the state that you live in.
    I don't know anything but if this is the way it works, your car would have to be registered in your new state to be, your DL will need to be for that state as well. OR your husband can register the cars for his state and you claim the residency there as well.

As for the getting into deers and all that, you can do that without the new social security card. Marriage license, photo ID should work fine.
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    you have to change your DL no matter what.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Banned
    Banned
    for the MSSRA you have to claim "domicile" for the same state your DH is a resident of- BUT you cannot cliam Domicile unless you have LIVED in the state your DH is a resident of.
    and Dl are excluded from the act in most states so you may have to change it.
  6. Senior Member

So, wait with MSRRA, and in order for it to work for me, I'm going to have to transfer my state of residence to my husbands?
    get a DL there?

7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LinnyAnne View Post
    So, wait with MSRRA, and in order for it to work for me, I'm going to have to transfer my state of residence to my husbands?
    get a DL there?
    yes, but you cannot transfer unless you lived in the state and can show proof of "domicile"

and if the state of residency has state taxes, you may not qualify for the military exempt since you are NOT AD.

this will depend on how the state writes the tax law.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    yes, but you cannot transfer unless you lived in the state and can show proof of "domicile"

and if the state of residency has state taxes, you may not qualify for the military exempt since you are NOT AD.

this will depend on how the state writes the tax law.
    So if Dh and i come from different states the whole damn MSRRA doesn't do shit for me?

9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LinnyAnne View Post
    So if Dh and i come from different states the whole damn MSRRA doesn't do shit for me?
    nope.

there is a great FB group on this topic and I have been trying to read up on it, and this seems to be the norm for most spouses, that since they have not lived in the state of thier Dh's residence they cannot claim it as thier own.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Mackenzie* View Post
    you have to change your DL no matter what.
    Well that depends on the state she is moving to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast