Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: School!?(Camp Lejeune)

1. Regular Member

School!?(Camp Lejeune)

Advertisements
    So DBFF just got orders to Camp Lejeune and he asked me to move over with him. To make my post not so long, a few things fell into place and it actually made sense for me to go. One of those things being that I work for a DOD construction company and we have a project in Camp Lejeune. So I said yes....

Besides the anxiety of leaving California to got to an unknown place, I am freaking out about going to school out there. I have an abundance of credits, besides a full Associates degree. I know about the community college in Jacksonville, but I am ready for a 4 year institution. The closest one is UNC Wilmington. That's about an hour drive from base. It is hard enough for me to be motivated to go to school out here with less than a 5 minute drive, I would never get to school with that long of a drive.

Does anyone know any good information about distance learning? I know there are schools that are only online, but I would rather not go that route. I know they have a branch campus on base for UNC, but since I am not a military dependent, could I still attend? ANY information would help me a bunch. What do you ladies all do?

After his enlistment is up in two years we are probably moving to Miami, that's where I am from, and he is going to finish school, so if I am still not done that's where I will be transfering, or if any FL girls out there know information about a school down there I can attend online from NC, that would be ideal.

Any other info about NC is welcome too. In case you couldn't tell by my rambling post, I am a little nervous.
    Last edited by blondy0903; 02-25-2010 at 10:57 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    Yes,you can still attend if you are not a dependent.They just have special rates for military dependents. Make sure that you look into what credits transfer and what you need. I think that's why i got rejected.
    The Lejeune area is rather boring. If you're used to the small towns, I've heard it's ok. But I"ve lived near a big city all my life and when I visited Jville, I was really bored.
    06.06.09 R.I.P. Gabe
    ~Wishing you'd been with us instead of the sea of ribbons~
    06.01.10 R.I.P. Granddad
    ~I love you~
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Im just popping in to so....OMG!!! YOURE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay.
  4. Regular Member
    Thanks Shasta! I have heard the same thing and totally worry about it. Hopefully since I am so boring here and never do anything, I will be ok with being there. Some people keep saying its what you make it so I am going to try to stay open minded and hopefully it will all be good. I am going to call today and get some information about transfers. Thanks again!

And to you my old friend... HELLO!!!!!!!!! I sure am back and ready to partay! hahaha
    *Nobody said it would be easy, just that it would be worth it*
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    They have hybrid classes as well - mostly online but you take one class per week/ eow. I don't know if that would be an option for you as well.